• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

15-18" Powered Subwoofer Pair Build

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
6.5m x 4.5m x 2.3m
L x W x H

My system is capable of big spl numbers, But it also sounds very very good
I bet it is. However, it is also a pretty dangerous place. One can be enticed with the clean SPL capacity and hurt their ears quickly.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have 4x Bms 18N862 in sealed 115L.
2x over LR and 2x in The back wall.

Also 2x B&c 21ds115 in large ported boxed 15hz tune
So 2 Bms in the front, 2 Bms in the back wall, and 2 B&C also in the front wall? So, it's like a SBA/DBA system? WOW, it looks like my dream cinema room :D

I think the OP and Adi777 are from Europe,
Yes, from Poland. What worries me the most is that I probably won't get the JBL M2 :(
Concerts, multi-channel music, but also stereo music must sound great on the LCR JBL M2.

Holmz

Major Contributor
I bet it is. However, it is also a pretty dangerous place. One can be enticed with the clean SPL capacity and hurt their ears quickly.

^This^ @concorde1

You might be as surprised as I was at how loud your new speakers REALLY are, compared to how loud you think that they are.
I am always a bit shocked when a speaker does not sound loud and I cannot hold a conversation.
It is my number 1 subjective evaluation for distortion.

And It gets even worse with subwoofers.

A pair of 15” subs might be on the overkill side… I don’t know for sure.
But you really want them to just support the bottom registers, and not to dominate things.
Any phase mismatch will give you a bit of bother getting them integrated.

The other thing you probably you probably will want to figure out is how to make them decay at a rate that is smooth compared to what the higher frequencies are doing.
The whole integrating subs deal can get a bit difficult, and the subs themselves are not really able to do what EQ and bass treatments can do.

Last edited:

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Real question is Eminence NSW6021-6 vs BMS 18n862.

Any reason to go with BMS if you have the money for NSW?

Glen20

Hi there concord1:
Out of interest
Did you have a source for the diy drivers in NZ (im in chch)

I previously tried and gave up due to:
1 Couldn’t send large drivers airfreight as Magnets which cause a compass deflection of more than 2 degrees at 4.6 metres are not allowed to be shipped airfreight
2 youshop seafreight usa was closed due to covid transport (open now I think)
3 cost exceeded youshop $$ limits
4 drivers out of stock

Glen
How are your deliberations going?

OP
concorde1

concorde1

How are your deliberations going?
I haven't actually looked at places to purchase these drivers yet, because I'm not 100% sure on which driver I would want. I've put my desire for subwoofers aside for now, and will revisit it later this year.

I'm thinking of a complete sub from Perlisten because while they are very expensive, there is not much mark up in NZ. Whereas all the other suitable subs (SVS, Paradigm, JL, etc) seem to have a massive mark up which makes them less desirable to me.

Ricku

I haven't actually looked at places to purchase these drivers yet, because I'm not 100% sure on which driver I would want. I've put my desire for subwoofers aside for now, and will revisit it later this year.

I'm thinking of a complete sub from Perlisten because while they are very expensive, there is not much mark up in NZ. Whereas all the other suitable subs (SVS, Paradigm, JL, etc) seem to have a massive mark up which makes them less desirable to me.
I'm on the bring of pulling the trigger for some of the BMS drivers. I've had quotes from LeanAudio in the UK. There's a guy there called Nigel who's very helpful for getting shipping quotes.

As the drivers will be going outside the UK, they're minus the 20% VAT. So they come out at £416 = $803 NZD each (under the $1000 NZD import tax cap). Use something like ParcelMonkey to get a quote for the drivers individually. You may be looking at about $1200 NZD per driver, shipped including import tax to NZ.

Alternatively, you can also check out Thomann.de as they have very cheap shipping, but they only have the 8ohm version - LeanAudio has the 4ohm and 8ohm versions.

Hope this helps :)

edit - checked the BMS website and there's no official dealer for them in NZ or in Aus. The dealer for APAC is based in China who haven't replied any of my emails and they also haven't picked up their phone.

Glen20

I think maybe the Perlisten was being imported directly by the shop. So it is shortening the supply chain and therefore also an extra markup step along the way. The others brands have wholesalers who probably dont sell enough to fill containers and turnover stock quickly
In our small market at the other end of the world.

Ricku

What about the updated Arendal 1723 2V sub? It gets amazing reviews. I'm running Arendal 1723 Monitors as LCR and they're fantastic. I'm going the DIY route due to space, but if I wasn't I'd be considering the Arendal. I recently sold my SVS PC4000 as it was lacking mid-bass.

Ciobi69

i dont know where you live but here in EU there is pretty good discount on the XTZ site. there you can buy 2 xtz 3x12. for 3000 euros, they are a bergain for what they offer, go check them!

Glen20

i dont know where you live but here in EU there is pretty good discount on the XTZ site. there you can buy 2 xtz 3x12. for 3000 euros, they are a bergain for what they offer, go check them!
Thanks they look good
Quite far away though.
About 20,000 km
My house is the antipodes of Lugo Spain

OP
concorde1

concorde1

What about the updated Arendal 1723 2V sub? It gets amazing reviews. I'm running Arendal 1723 Monitors as LCR and they're fantastic. I'm going the DIY route due to space, but if I wasn't I'd be considering the Arendal. I recently sold my SVS PC4000 as it was lacking mid-bass.
It will cost a fortune to import to NZ. I was originally considering it and the 1723 Monitor THX's.

Top Bottom