• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

12v trigger options?

Rip City Dave

I noticed your DAC pulls 7W at idle from the adapter. However, the power supply for your DAC is rated at 24W.

Many of the master control power strips call for 15W, so you should be OK using a strip with a master control outlet.

However, my experience with master control power strips has been variable. I purchased an APC that would not trigger with the components I used as a master control.

I wish the manufacturers of the master control power strips that have adjustable sensitivity would publish the minimum wattage necessary at the lowest setting.

Finally, I found what works for me. My audio system uses this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P1QJXQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This master control strip is inexpensive and looks to have a good surge rating.

This strip powers on my complete system using my Parasound P6 plugged into the master control outlet. The 12V trigger from the P6 then activates the other components. The P6 pulls 15W.

However, out of the box, this power strip did not appear to work as I intended. It was set at max sensitivity. I found that I had to calibrate the sensitivity control on the strip at the right setting. Now it works every time. I cannot say your DAC will work, but the numbers look as though it should.

walt99

Forum Donor

radix

Major Contributor
I realize this is an older thread, but I recently got a smart power strip that has worked very well with my RME ADI-2 DAC. It's the Bits Limited LCG-3MVR. It has a variable sensitivity that I had to turn down to about 1/4 sensitivity to get proper on/off (it's a set screw on the side). It controls my Neumann sub and monitors. There's about a 2-3 sec delay after turning on the RME and about a 6 sec delay when turning off.

faoctubre

DIY Power-Amp turn-on with Network Pre-Amp trigger output.
If you have a new Pre-amp that you can manage via app and stream music from NAS and a HI-FI Power amp that doesn't have a trigger input jack maybe this will help if you are a little skillful.
Yes, it might be old but we all look for things like this. I had been looking for a device to power my Hi-Fi Power-Amp when I turn on the Smart PreAmp through network. I tried the smart power strip, didn't like it as it did not turn off or on the Power-amp, the pre was not consuming enough. I tried sound triggered device but it was turning on and off between songs or it stayed on if I raised sensitivity. It might work for you but I really didn't like these tow options.

Finally decided to build my own cheap without much complication, exactly what I was looking for: a device to trigger power with the 12v trigger of the pre-amp.
- Bought a cheap outdoor smart plug (that had a plug with short cable, a little box and 2 outlets), probably around $20, and then a 12v/24v trigger relay, around $6 on ebay (they support enough amp, there are some with delay and some without I believe, no need for delay here).
- Opened the little box. Since the outlet contact was soldered to the smart board, cut the logic board to keep contacts (and save some mounting screws)
- Fixed the relay inside, connected input wires and soldered new output wires with the outlet contacts of the logic board.
- Installed a 3.5mm mono jack socket (panel mount) on the side to plug in the audio trigger from the Pre-Amp (I think the socket was 10 x $7 on Amazon).
- Closed the box (make sure the box of the smart plug is high enough for the relay)

Installed the little plug behind the amp, plugged it to power, plugged the trigger (mono) cable from pre-amp to the little box, plugged the Power-amp (deactivated stand-by).

And it has been working perfectly for a year. Every time I turn or my Pre-amp via phone app, the power-amp turns on and I can manage my hi-fi via network and stream DSD from NAS. I use this with new small Yamaha pre-amp and Yamaha HI-FI power amp

(not sure if someone is selling this now, but it was fun to build it and looks good. The cheap smart-plug (Wize) was actually cheaper than buying box, plugs, outlet, cable separate. Total around $30, cheaper than the other options and much more accurate)

Last edited:
OP
E

ethanhallbeyer

DIY Power-Amp turn-on with Network Pre-Amp trigger output.
If you have a new Pre-amp that you can manage via app and stream music from NAS and a HI-FI Power amp that doesn't have a trigger input jack maybe this will help if you are a little skillful.
Yes, it might be old but we all look for things like this. I had been looking for a device to power my Hi-Fi Power-Amp when I turn on the Smart PreAmp through network. I tried the smart power strip, didn't like it as it did not turn off or on the Power-amp, the pre was not consuming enough. I tried sound triggered device but it was turning on and off between songs or it stayed on if I raised sensitivity. It might work for you but I really didn't like these tow options.

Finally decided to build my own cheap without much complication, exactly what I was looking for: a device to trigger power with the 12v trigger of the pre-amp.
- Bought a cheap outdoor smart plug (that had a plug with short cable, a little box and 2 outlets), probably around $20, and then a 12v/24v trigger relay, around $6 on ebay (they support enough amp, there are some with delay and some without I believe, no need for delay here).
- Opened the little box. Since the outlet contact was soldered to the smart board, cut the logic board to keep contacts (and save some mounting screws)
- Fixed the relay inside, connected input wires and soldered new output wires with the outlet contacts of the logic board.
- Installed a 3.5mm mono jack socket (panel mount) on the side to plug in the audio trigger from the Pre-Amp (I think the socket was 10 x $7 on Amazon).
- Closed the box (make sure the box of the smart plug is high enough for the relay)

Installed the little plug behind the amp, plugged it to power, plugged the trigger (mono) cable from pre-amp to the little box, plugged the Power-amp (deactivated stand-by).

And it has been working perfectly for a year. Every time I turn or my Pre-amp via phone app, the power-amp turns on and I can manage my hi-fi via network and stream DSD from NAS. I use this with new small Yamaha pre-amp and Yamaha HI-FI power amp

(not sure if someone is selling this now, but it was fun to build it and looks good. The cheap smart-plug (Wize) was actually cheaper than buying box, plugs, outlet, cable separate. Total around $30, cheaper than the other options and much more accurate)

Thanks! Do you know if it is harmful to audio gear to be powered on/off via external trigger as opposed to internal or via its power button?

bryan0101

So why won't this work from you? It's from Niles and they have adjustable trigger levels to work with many devices. IDK the thresholds on the sensitivity adjustment. The unit has the 12V OUT which would trigger your AMPS + a simple 3.5mm male-male patch cable?
-> https://www.ebay.com/itm/NILES-CURR...625010?hash=item2afd240e32:g:XvMAAOSwyAdgDk-f
-> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Niles-CS12V-Current-sensing-12-volt-trigger/254847324571?hash=item3b5615919b:g:70wAAOSwJ1NgEc9i
-> https://www.manualslib.com/manual/487771/Niles-Cs12v.html#manual

If interested, I would not defer, these are no longer made and do not surface often. (I am not the seller). For the "remote sensing" power strips, then all you need is to plug a 12V transformer with a 3.5mm male plug into a switched outlet and then connect that to your AMPS. OR if the AMP are not too power hungry, then you can connect them to the same "smart strip". Just pay attention on those strips, they are not all built well or some may not have a low enough trigger threshold for a DAC. Stay safe, stay alive!
Didn't theres something like this.

Does anyone know if we can use a 3.5mm splitter male to 2 males with it so it activate 2 amps at the same time? I have a dual mono amps....

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Does anyone know if we can use a 3.5mm splitter male to 2 males with it so it activate 2 amps at the same time? I have a dual mono amps....
I am doing that and it works fine. Technically it depends upon the load, but most trigger outputs will support 2-4 loads.

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When using a Harmony (or alternative like Sofabaton) with WiFi smart plugs, is it possible set up different turn on and turn off sequences depending on the triggering device and set a delay if necessary? E.g. One turn on sequence would be PS5 (via Bluetooth) or Zidoo Z9X (via IR) or Apple TV 4K -> AVR -> power amp + subs and the turn off sequence would be power amps + subs -> AVR and sources. Another sequence would be RPi4 streamer + PC + DAC -> same power amps + subs that are connected to the AVR and the turn off sequence would be the other way around.

Top Bottom