• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

12v trigger options?

ethanhallbeyer

Hi, I have an RME ADI-2 DAC FS. It has no 12v trigger built in but comes with a remote control. My monoblock amps do have a 12v trigger. Is there any device, like a power strip of sorts, that will let me plug my RME DAC into it so that when i use my remote to take the RME DAC out from standby/off mode (red ring around power button) to powered on, then triggering the 12v trigger on my monoblock amps? This way all I have to do is use my remote to turn on the ADI DAC in order to listen to music. When I turn off the RME DAC, the monoblocks should return to standby mode.

Is this possible or will i need a DAC like Benchmark AHB2 that has a built in trigger?

Also, right now i use an ipad pro as source, wired via USB to the RME DAC. If I want to go wireless streaming, what are the best bang for the buck streamers that dont compromise on audio quality?

thanks!

frangle

Forum Donor
Harmony remote + Wemo smart plugs / 12V walwart would be one way . A DAC with a trigger may be more simple unless the Harmony has other benefits for you.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like the power strip idea too, but got this one and does not work with my SMSL M200.

It has a sensitivity adjustment, but just not enough draw from my DAC apparently to trigger.

Last edited:
OP
E

ethanhallbeyer

Like the power strip idea too , but got this one and does not work with my SMSL M200.

It has a sensitivity adjustment, but just not enough draw from my DAC apparently to trigger.

i saw one that requires 15w.. have to see what the power draw is on my RME DAC

OP
E

ethanhallbeyer

OP
E

ethanhallbeyer

Harmony remote + Wemo smart plugs / 12V walwart would be one way . A DAC with a trigger may be more simple unless the Harmony has other benefits for you.

i dont want to keep my devices on and power on a power strip to turn them on. would prefer my dac and amps they are in standby and i can turn the dac on with remote.. then id like the device to send a signal to my amps’ triggers. so it should have a 3.5mm jack, the same as on my amp triggers.

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
This is not cheap, but it may work...

Disclaimer: I don’t use it. I have a Tuya compatible wifi ir blaster like this one (with an open source firmware), and power my subwoofer with a smart power switch (Philips hue in my case).

OP
E

ethanhallbeyer

I don't think that's what you want : this device is when you need a trigger IN (you have that already on your monoblock), not when you miss a trigger OUT

i just realized this after getting my hopes up. is there not a device that does what i need? plug my dacs power supply power cable to a device that will wait for a power draw from my dac indicating it is on, then send a 12v signal out a 3.5mm jack

Wombat

Master Contributor
I use a smart power strip with the TV as master and the powered speakers as slaves.

When the TV is off the speakers turn on and off at random times. I am looking for a power strip with AU plug that doesn't trigger on the TV's standby current but haven't found one that specifies tripping current.

gattaca

So why won't this work from you? It's from Niles and they have adjustable trigger levels to work with many devices. IDK the thresholds on the sensitivity adjustment. The unit has the 12V OUT which would trigger your AMPS + a simple 3.5mm male-male patch cable?
-> https://www.ebay.com/itm/NILES-CURR...625010?hash=item2afd240e32:g:XvMAAOSwyAdgDk-f
-> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Niles-CS12V-Current-sensing-12-volt-trigger/254847324571?hash=item3b5615919b:g:70wAAOSwJ1NgEc9i
-> https://www.manualslib.com/manual/487771/Niles-Cs12v.html#manual

If interested, I would not defer, these are no longer made and do not surface often. (I am not the seller). For the "remote sensing" power strips, then all you need is to plug a 12V transformer with a 3.5mm male plug into a switched outlet and then connect that to your AMPS. OR if the AMP are not too power hungry, then you can connect them to the same "smart strip". Just pay attention on those strips, they are not all built well or some may not have a low enough trigger threshold for a DAC. Stay safe, stay alive!

Last edited:
OP
E

ethanhallbeyer

So why won't this work from you? It's from Niles and they have adjustable trigger levels to work with many devices. IDK the thresholds on the sensitivity adjustment. The unit has the 12V OUT which would trigger your AMPS + a simple 3.5mm male-male patch cable?
-> https://www.ebay.com/itm/NILES-CURR...625010?hash=item2afd240e32:g:XvMAAOSwyAdgDk-f
-> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Niles-CS12V-Current-sensing-12-volt-trigger/254847324571?hash=item3b5615919b:g:70wAAOSwJ1NgEc9i
-> https://www.manualslib.com/manual/487771/Niles-Cs12v.html#manual

If interested, I would not defer, these are no longer made and do not surface often. (I am not the seller). For the "remote sensing" power strips, then all you need is to plug a 12V transformer with a 3.5mm male plug into a switched outlet and then connect that to your AMPS. OR if the AMP are not too power hungry, then you can connect them to the same "smart strip". Just pay attention on those strips, they are not all built well or some may not have a low enough trigger threshold for a DAC. Stay safe, stay alive!

looks like those niles can work but i need to find out the trigger threshold range. i hear my rme adi-2 dac doesnt require much power and sone of those smart power strips require a min. of 15w.

gattaca

^^ Yeah, that's why I linked the manual but those range specs are not in there. Niles made / makes some very good stuff. The unit is UL Listed and adjustable over a wide current sensing range. I checked one more reliable source for you - the Crutchfield site and they use to sale this. There's a posting there "Note: According to Niles Audio, the power consumption on the component plugged into this unit must be at least 30 watts to trigger the 12 volt output." -> https://www.crutchfield.com/S-pqehCVTRkHx/p_190CS12V/Niles-CS12V.html

Now within the 5 comments at Crutchfield, there was this from a purchaser in 4/2017: "This product works as advertised. When setting it up, the Niles CS12V is "nulled" to the standby current of the control component, so that even components that don't draw much current when switched on can trigger the CS12V. I have it slaved to a Schiit Audio SAGA mini-preamp that draws less than 25 watts when on, and the CS12V triggers a Benchmark AHB2 power amp on and off without any problems. The CS12V also has a delay function, although I have it defeated. The Niles CS12V is a convenient way to upgrade components that do not have the 12V trigger function built-in."

Looks like YMMV.

That's as close as I could come for a "no-build" option... 15W may be difficult. So maybe digging into the many adjustable "Smart Power Strips" and finding one there + a 12VDC wall-wart/transformer with 3.5MM male plug is your best option. Maybe that other thread will find something too. It's gotta be a common ask in this space.

LOL one more thing... you might consider getting putting a pair or so of small wattage bulbs parallel with the switching DAC device. For example, like a couple of 8W "old fashioned night lights!" You could add some "warm glow" to the areas behind the DAC and AMPS while raising the min threshold for the Niles CS12V trigger. Your DAC turning on would be just enough to activate the Niles trigger. Yeah they would have to stay on all the time so not quite ideal but another thought. Just keep a few bulbs on hand. I recall they are the old "Holiday Tree" bulbs that may be getting harder to find.

You could probably do the same thing with some LED rope lighting if you get enough current draw... That would last longer than the incandescents and still deliver a warm glow. If this is near a TV, then the "MediaLights" might be an win/win there if the power is in the range you need.

Look at it this way too, for ~$30USD, assuming you are in the US, you could try the one from that first ebay seller with 100% positive and 8000+ reviews. If it does not not work like you want, especially with the above, then re-ebay it! (Keep the shipping box)!

There's a point in your life where searching is costing more than doing/trying a possible solution at a reasonable cost. The one thing you cannot buy more of is time. ;)

IDK of any other 100% OTS solutions which won't require some custom building ATM. Please post your final solution. Stay safe, stay alive!

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
It's pretty stupid since DAC's are taking the place of preamps in many systems that they don't have a 12V trigger... @boXem | audio seem to have addressed this issue with an auto-on/off based on received signal.

JSmith

TomekNet

I'm using Harmony Hub to power on a smart plug, that powers on Emotiva ET-3 trigger expander, that powers on 3 amps over 12V trigger.

gattaca

I found this older (likely late 1980s) Radio Shack adjustable SS on eBay. It’s built like a tank in an all metal housing and has adjustable trigger levels. I do not know the trigger range. It’s a “SmartStrip” before there were dubbed that. I’m not the seller and have no gain from the listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Archer-6-o...-/274656789847?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I like the USB trigger idea too, pretty simple to BIY.

One more option and I've use these for 15+ years in my AV setups are the SurgeX SEQ 1U/2U. IMHO, these units are top-of-the-line devices which will sequence on power amps properly while also protecting them from surges, in-rush, over-under voltages via their ICE, Surge, Noise, and COVUS protections. These units have a small phoenix terminal block on the rear which has multiple functions once of which is a 5VDC-12VDC input which triggers the device to cascade on whatever is connected to the 3 separate power banks. They also have an always ON set of outlets which could power the DACs. Seems like the perfect solution to what you guys are seeking. Just need 10 mins work on a USB power cable from the DAC to the SurgeX SEQ. I've always used them at 12V, but the specs clearly say 5V-12V so the USB @ 5V should be the perfect trigger.
These are 120V/20A rated units. With their ICE protection, you do not have to worry about tripping breaker with multiple large, powerful amplifiers. I use 3 cascaded to switch on every AMP in my AV setup - piece of cake as the connect directions are clear. Oh BTW, these are "Made-in-the-USA" (at least the older ones are)...

https://www.ametekesp.com/-/media/a...ncers/surgex-seq_seq-1u_user-manual-rev-b.pdf

1614948998386.png

These units are really nice. If you are patient, you can usually find really good used units on eBay for $200-$500. New $1K+.
The 2U size surfaces more frequently than the 1U size. The 1U tend to cost more b/c 1U space is a premium and I rarely see them. Right now there are a few of each in great condition...

a) 2U -> https://www.ebay.com/itm/SurgeX-SX2...863478&hash=item5496edf008:g:X6MAAOSwOJhgPa1f
b) 1U -> https://www.ebay.com/itm/SurgeX-SEQ...650641?hash=item342a389511:g:Z00AAOSwbJJe59Fq

Stay safe, stay alive. Peace.

Last edited:
Top Bottom