• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

100KHz garbage coming out of my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 v2

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
So, my M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 and M-Audio Audiophile 24/192 don't make noise like this at ~100KHz when idle, so why does the Focusrite? Do I have to fix everything?

DSO. (same with BW limit) The freq is 100Khz, not 133KHz as indicated...
RIGOL Print Screen7-01-2020 12_05_45 PM.328.jpeg

Confirmed on the old CRO (HF REJ will kill it):
IMG_3351 (Small).jpeg

It seems to be USB related as I tried a different PC and the noise was worse! Output in parallel with a 10K load. Idle, no signal, monitor level turned down. Turn it up and residual noise fills in the gaps, but the spikes are still there.

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
Yeah ..... , is there any DC/DC converter in the card, John? Like the one to make 48V phantom or anything else? If the analog scope does not have SMPS, then it definitely comes from DC/DC, SMPS of the soundcard/PC or USB. In such cases, I am trying battery power or isolation transformer for the PC (my ISO tr. has 150pF stray cap.).

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
is there any DC/DC converter in the card, John? Like the one to make 48V phantom or anything else?

You're right. For sure there will be a buck/step up in there someplace for the 48v phantom power- it's probably active even though the switch is off...

The analogue scope is a proper old girl (no digital and no SMPS) and I turned off everything except it, in case the DSO was being naughty. To its credit the Rigol SMPS is really good as far as I can tell. But it should be, it's inside a scope!

I've been having a hell of a time in the last few weeks with noise. Everything from LED SMPS supplies to PC power supplies, routers to air conditioners.

Honestly, I'm a bit over it. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom