• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

100% Free way to lift center speaker from table

PolkFan

Forum Donor
Hi so i have a 5.1 sound system but i have this center speaker(2 6.5 inch mids & 1 inch tweeter) on a table and i know it's making it sound kind of muddy a little over it i wanted to know if you guys have anyway of giving me some kind of help? The thing i was hoping to do a DIY super easy kind of thing with household items.

I was thinking even bottle caps lol from 20oz and 2 liter bottles would help placing them under the center speaker?

I really want to lift this up a tiny bit and get rid of or mimizize that vibration believe it or not i did actually google this but haven't really found any help i even got disperate and changed "Center speaker" to "Sound bar" lol when i searched on google.

Any help would be great even if it sounds silly anything really i mean what about even a towel?

Edit

The center speaker weighs 17 pounds if that helps

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
It's usually not a vibration issue, but where you sit relative to where the center is spitting out sound, especially if your head is above or below it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for testing it out how about a folded up towel or towels like a bath towel?

A stack of paper plates for constrained mode damping?

Or for free how about old phone books? Or a stack of magazines if you have any old print magazines.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Or a stack of magazines if you have any old print magazines.

Perfect centre speaker stand.
1632106847811.png

OP
PolkFan

PolkFan

Forum Donor
It's usually not a vibration issue, but where you sit relative to where the center is spitting out sound, especially if your head is above or below it.

I found these things in the dresser lol probably from my wife and i asked her if i could use them they are PERFECT they lift each side of the speaker up by 1 inch its nuts she doesn't even know where the heck they came from

Here is some pictures :)

So happy i reran the crappy EQ on my onkyo lol but the center is MUCH MUCH clear.

For real

Attachments

• 0919212318.jpg
    0919212318.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 0919212318a.jpg
    0919212318a.jpg
    801.3 KB · Views: 169

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
A small bicycle inner tube could work as well. That'll give you some decoupling between the speaker and the furniture too.

Tom

OP
PolkFan

PolkFan

Forum Donor
A small bicycle inner tube could work as well. That'll give you some decoupling between the speaker and the furniture too.

Tom

I was just trying and trying to find something that would be just like those pictures man i kept looking i knew i could find something we have a bunch of random stuff in this place lol.

Center channel IMO is the biggest pain in the butt for setting up right in a normal setup

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, I have a couple of Diversitech MP4-E E.V.A. Anti-Vibration Pads and have no idea where they came from or what there original use was. But I wanted a few more, now I know how to get them: Thanks.

OP
PolkFan

PolkFan

Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The thing i was hoping to do a DIY super easy kind of thing with household items.
It may help the tonal balance to angle the speaker so the tweeter points more directly at your head in the listening position.
I use a couple rubber door stop wedges, about a $1.00 each at the hardware store.
shepherd-door-stops-9132-64_400.jpg

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Wedges. Not to be confused with wedgies. Consider this a PSA... :)

Tom

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In some Sony models, the display is the speaker. No idea how well that works.

It’s great for soundbar quality speakers which is to say that is pretty good at lower volumes or HTIB solutions where it adds to the experience. It makes sense for small rooms where you may be sitting closer to the TV.

OP
PolkFan

PolkFan

Forum Donor
It’s great for soundbar quality speakers which is to say that is pretty good at lower volumes or HTIB solutions where it adds to the experience. It makes sense for small rooms where you may be sitting closer to the TV.

I was thinking to myself that most people who run sound bars probably have them on a table and since they typically have lots of drivers and aim for 100hz or so that they probably vibrate and resonate off the table meaning they should probably get it off the table lol to improve clearlity.

Top Bottom