• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1 (XLR) to 2 (XLR and RCA) splitter

toothpaste

Hi all,

My audio interface has only two analog line level outputs. I want to connect both my monitors (XLR input) and my headphone amp (RCA input) to my audio interface and be able to switch between the two. I will never need both outputs to be active at the same time.

I found this device which looks capable of achieving what i want to do, but it just has unnecessary number of inputs and outputs (i basically need 1 in 2 out with a switch) I was wondering if you have any recommendations of a simpler. more compact device that is preferably cheaper which will suit my purpose. And I was thinking if more inputs than I need would equal to more noise? ( https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Nobsound-Balanced-Converter-Selector-Splitter/dp/B07D7P7366 )

Also, is such a device the optimal solution to my problem? Will there be more noise etc. when i am using my monitors with this device in the signal chain (i.e. when it is set to XLR to XLR) as opposed to when the monitors are directly connected to my interface? For example, with this device, will the XLR output still perform as a balanced output or does the conversion to unbalanced take place before the output switch? I am open to all suggestions!

Sorry if some of the questions I ask sound ridiculous, I am fairly knowledgable with regards to digital audio but I suck when it comes to electronics :)

Also, sorry if parts of my wording don't make sense, English is not my first language!

Thanks in advance.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
The device is described as passive, so it should not impact your sound unless it is of very poor build quality.
Since you're planning on using xlr to xlr, no conversion from unbalanced to balanced would be required.

It does seem expensive for what it does.

OP
T

toothpaste

yes, xlr to xlr when i am using the speakers, but i will also be using the rca outputs when using the headphones, so i am wondering if the input will be converted to unbalanced regardless of which output i will be using.

yes, the device costs almost as much as what I paid for the atom amp

JayGilb

Major Contributor
yes, xlr to xlr when i am using the speakers, but i will also be using the rca outputs when using the headphones, so i am wondering if the input will be converted to unbalanced regardless of which output i will be using.

yes, the device costs almost as much as what I paid for the atom amp
Using the rca outputs to drive your headphone amp will require it to be converted to unbalanced, but xlr to xlr should keep it balanced.

AudiOhm

Once you purchase equipment, you are stuck with the connections it has.

If you are not happy with the connections purchase something different.

Unless you are running long distances, RCA is fine.…

Ohms

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
My audio interface has only two analog line level outputs. I want to connect both my monitors (XLR input) and my headphone amp (RCA input) to my audio interface and be able to switch between the two. I will never need both outputs to be active at the same time.
I would recommend a 6.3 mm stereo to 2x RCA or 3.5 mm to 2x RCA cable with 1/4" adapter to plug into the audio interface's headphone output whenever needed, leaving the balanced line level outputs to the monitors only.

You may have to verify the maximum headphone volume pot position (on the interface) that safely yields undistorted output, but other than that this approach should generally work fine.

I can't think of an audio interface in the conventional sense without any headphone output at all... just some purely line-level stuff.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Hi all,

I found this device which looks capable of achieving what i want to do, but it just has unnecessary number of inputs and outputs (i basically need 1 in 2 out with a switch) I was wondering if you have any recommendations of a simpler. more compact device that is preferably cheaper which will suit my purpose. And I was thinking if more inputs than I need would equal to more noise? ( https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Nobsound-Balanced-Converter-Selector-Splitter/dp/B07D7P7366 )

Also, is such a device the optimal solution to my problem? Will there be more noise etc. when i am using my monitors with this device in the signal chain (i.e. when it is set to XLR to XLR) as opposed to when the monitors are directly connected to my interface? For example, with this device, will the XLR output still perform as a balanced output or does the conversion to unbalanced take place before the output switch? I am open to all suggestions!

Sorry if some of the questions I ask sound ridiculous, I am fairly knowledgable with regards to digital audio but I suck when it comes to electronics :)

Also, sorry if parts of my wording don't make sense, English is not my first language!

Thanks in advance.
I bought one of those a few months ago, but it was like US$65, so a bit less than the link you showed. I would hesitate at that higher price, but I will say that it has functioned well and has come in handy in several ways I didn’t expect. It is simple enough that it should last a long time, and I discovered uses for it that I wasn’t thinking of at the time of purchase. I feel I got good use out of it.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Except, I don't see any rca outputs on that device. If i bought that, then I would need to purchase a set of XLR to rca cables
This is correct but in my view the better solution. The adaptation of balanced to unbalanced depends on the kind of output. You have to check the manual of your audio interface how this adaptions needs to be done.

OP
T

toothpaste

I would recommend a 6.3 mm stereo to 2x RCA or 3.5 mm to 2x RCA cable with 1/4" adapter to plug into the audio interface's headphone output whenever needed, leaving the balanced line level outputs to the monitors only.

You may have to verify the maximum headphone volume pot position (on the interface) that safely yields undistorted output, but other than that this approach should generally work fine.

I can't think of an audio interface in the conventional sense without any headphone output at all... just some purely line-level stuff.
My audio interface is an old RME Babyface and it does have a headphone output but I am not satisfied with it. And wouldn't it be weird to connect the headphone output to a headphone amp, as in, two amps one after another? I have a feeling the headphone amp is better fed by the line level analog outputs for best performance. Am I missing sth here?

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My audio interface is an old RME Babyface and it does have a headphone output but I am not satisfied with it. And wouldn't it be weird to connect the headphone output to a headphone amp, as in, two amps one after another? I have a feeling the headphone amp is better fed by the line level analog outputs for best performance. Am I missing sth here?
Well, it depends upon what your problem is with the hp output of the Babyface. If it just is too low power or too high output impedance then adding a more powerful hp amp at its hp output is certainly possible and, given that RME usually has very high quality outputs, will probably not result in audibale deterioration.

OP
T

toothpaste

Well, it depends upon what your problem is with the hp output of the Babyface. If it just is too low power or too high output impedance then adding a more powerful hp amp at its hp output is certainly possible and, given that RME usually has very high quality outputs, will probably not result in audibale deterioration.
the output impedance is high but i don't think it is high enough to cause any noticeable spectral changes in my HD650. for me the main problem is volume especially when i am mixing quiet instruments. another problem is, i always have to crank the volume up to maximum (not clipping) on the headphone output and when i do so, although the volume is not ear-piercingly high, i can already start hearing some distortion. mind you, this is the original babyface from 10 years ago and not the babyface pro fs

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the output impedance is high but i don't think it is high enough to cause any noticeable spectral changes in my HD650. for me the main problem is volume especially when i am mixing quiet instruments. another problem is, i always have to crank the volume up to maximum (not clipping) on the headphone output and when i do so, although the volume is not ear-piercingly high, i can already start hearing some distortion. mind you, this is the original babyface from 10 years ago and not the babyface pro fs
Wel in this case check the specs of the Babyface outputs, and if the hp output is not significantly worse than the line out you can safely daisy chain a separate hp amp with more power.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Most specs for the old Babyface appear to be shared between all outputs.
Dynamic range DA: 112 dB RMS unweighted, 115 dBA
THD DA: < -104 dB (< 0.00063%)
THD+N DA: < -100 dB (< 0.001%)
Crosstalk DA: > 110 dB
The only explicit difference is output level:
Maximum Output Level @ 0 dBFS Line: +15 dBu
Maximum Output Level @ 0 dBFS Phones: +8 dBu
+8 dBu is pretty much exactly 2 Vrms, so it doesn't get much closer to a consumer line-level output.

I see no problems running that into a headphone amp with unbalanced input (e.g. Topping L30, JDS Labs Atom Amp+, Schiit Magni Heresy, Lake People G103-S, ...).

Top Bottom