• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$1 Million Cable Challenge

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
After James Randi passed away a few years ago, the idea of a $1 million cable challenge vanished with him. Until now!

In what can only be surmised as amazing showmanship, Dr. Tist of First Run Copper cables has decided to bring the challenge back, but with a twist. Instead of challenging the likes of Steve Guttenberg, Michael Fremer, etc. to PROVE they can tell the difference between one cable and another - which never went anywhere because no one could agree on a format that would be scientific and let them sit in their own living room for 200 hours breaking in each cable before spending six months listening to organ music - First Run Copper is challenging the NON-BELIEVERS!

This is truly epic. Will influencers who say they don't believe that cables make a difference really stand up and take this challenge?

Andysu

Major Contributor
$1m cable daylight robbery. These audiophile dummies really are that dumb that they don't know human hearing is flawed compared to a cat 40Hz to 90KHz, thinking $1m cable is gonna improve no more than having good hearing and using hearing aid to boost the sound is like sticking a RF gain on a CB radio to boost all that noise along with it.

THW

Forum Donor
haven’t watched this video specifically, but after watching the previous ones and having a great laugh out of those, I have a feeling that I’m in for a ride for this one

peanuts

first run copper? never heared of them. why dont they use brandnames like nordost and their odin cables, afraid to get in trouble?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
http://firstruncopper.com/

1622817989949.png

Capitol C

Here is a related image that made me smile. My challenge is this: Can you identify the purpose of this cable from the description? No prize, and no credit if you look it up or already know the brand...

Attachments

• Cable1.pdf
    86.8 KB · Views: 251

audio2design

Major Contributor
I must say, this is a fine bit of trolling! Even doing a website and everything!

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
we are challenging them to PROVE what they say
It is very difficult to PROVE that there is NO difference between this and that. So unless you are able to PROVE this likely (negative) outcome, no megabuck for you.

Or something like that.

Colin James Wonfor

Technical Expert
The Wonf
$1m cable daylight robbery. These audiophile dummies really are that dumb that they don't know human hearing is flawed compared to a cat 40Hz to 90KHz, thinking $1m cable is gonna improve no more than having good hearing and using hearing aid to boost the sound is like sticking a RF gain on a CB radio to boost all that noise along with it.

Phase, Timing, Current, Loading, Capacitance, RFI, EMC, a fun thing to get close to right.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Phase, Timing, Current, Loading, Capacitance, RFI, EMC, a fun thing to get close to right.
No, you don't say. Well I guess I don't need my Rigol ds1054z 4 channel oscilloscope anymore then. :p
76775090_10157610128750149_5055804341416361984_n.jpg

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like a trick. The payout is only available to well known influencers. The company can obviously decide that someone who is clearly unlikely to report an amazing difference doesn’t qualify. Sneaky. OTOH, I expect that these so called influencers who are all “in the game” will post a video showing how they tried to show there was no difference and win the $1m, but they actually heard a huge difference with cables from this company. And if for some reason a well known influencer goes rogue and reports no difference in a video, the company will immediately slap them with a defamation lawsuit that the influencer would have no chance of being able to defend from a financial standpoint, and will instead take down the video. Pretty ingenious marketing if you ask me, gotta give them credit.

EDIT: neeeever mind. Good one, @SimpleTheater

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
$1m speaker cables daylight robbery SCAM!

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Basically: we'll pretend to offer $1M to someone (because you can't prove that you didn't lie in an ABX test if you actually hear something) so he can advertise for us (nobodies don't apply)

Andysu

Major Contributor
Sadly, this is a hoax. Otherwise, I would be getting my YouTube channel, Dialectic TV, up and running so that I could collect my ONE MILLION DOLLARS.
Now had this video come out in April.

ai1

The suggested challenge is plain nonsense for several reasons. In particular, it would be immediately refuted by anyone acquainted with some basic logic. This is because, in "real life," it is usually impossible to prove negative statements (try to prove that I do not speak Chinese), and we never do that---this is exactly why we are not expected to prove being not guilty in court. The only known way of proving a negative statement is converting it (the exercise they do since Ancient Greece times) into a postive statement, which is not always possible. This is why I am not expected to prove that Giseh pyramids were not built with alien help, or that small green folks are not flying saucers. The guy's challenge might be about that too...

Top Bottom