• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1/8" to 1/4" adapter

mahirzukic2

Do you guys know where could I get something like this? I am specifically interested in a plug which would hold the 1/8 plug very snugly, and that it would require you to really pull on it to eject it, meaning it won't eject easily and accidentally.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Conrad ? Reichelt ? ebay ? Amazon ?

I don't think there are specific ones that 'clamp harder' on the 1/8 plugs though.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've seen a complete new 3.5mm plug, which has a thread on, with a 6.35mm adaptor with a matching thread.
You'd have to remove the existing 3.5mm plug and solder on the new one, but you'd have a locking 6.35mm adaptor that way.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pc...-3-5mm-self-locking-nut-take/32528331292.html

Other than that, it's hit and miss with these adaptors. None I have come across actually lock, just some are more griping than others.

You could wire up a short length of cable terminated as 3.5mm female to 6.35mm male. Put the 3.5mm socket end inside a small box with cable strain relief and put the existing 3.5mm cable from whatever device you have in the 3.5 mm female socket, inside the box. If you used those clip on strain relief for the device side, you could just take the box apart and release the device should you no longer require the 6.35mm plug. IT'd be pretty tough to pull that apart!

OP
mahirzukic2

mahirzukic2

I've seen a complete new 3.5mm plug, which has a thread on, with a 6.35mm adaptor with a matching thread.
You'd have to remove the existing 3.5mm plug and solder on the new one, but you'd have a locking 6.35mm adaptor that way.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pc...-3-5mm-self-locking-nut-take/32528331292.html

Other than that, it's hit and miss with these adaptors. None I have come across actually lock, just some are more griping than others.

You could wire up a short length of cable terminated as 3.5mm female to 6.35mm male. Put the 3.5mm socket end inside a small box with cable strain relief and put the existing 3.5mm cable from whatever device you have in the 3.5 mm female socket, inside the box. If you used those clip on strain relief for the device side, you could just take the box apart and release the device should you no longer require the 6.35mm plug. IT'd be pretty tough to pull that apart!
This is really nice. I have this already installed on my Denon D2000, but wanted to have the same for the Fostex TR50 rp.
This is what I have now.
IMG_20190520_105743.jpg

The 1/4 adapter you see there is from the Denons, and the XLR to 1/8 neutrik cable is connected to it and sometimes it wiggles a bit and makes the sound sound very quiet and muffled. I have to readjust it, because it keeps slipping from time to time.
Would it be easy and worthwhile to try this modification on the neutrik cable?

L5730

Here is another.
https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/...NE-ADAPTER-PLUG-3.5mm-to-6.35mm-threaded-gold
This kind of thing seems to be available on some headphones, like your Denon pair.
Just a 3.5mm TRS plug with a bit of threading. Then the matching 3.5>6.35mm TRS adaptors with threads inside.
I am surprised it hasn't been more widely adopted.

If those threads aren't on the existing plug, then you don't have a huge amount of options, other than removing and replacing.
I am looking at locking panel mount connectors. Mostly for 6.35mm, but maybe some for 3.5mm.

Something like this, but the smaller size:
@ 6min 22sec

L5730

^ This. Cheapest and easiest solution.
Neutrik or Amphenol plugs and some Mogami, Belden or whatever cable. Last forever.

Though the Fostex have a 3.5mm 1/8" plug, no?

OP
mahirzukic2

mahirzukic2

^ This. Cheapest and easiest solution.
Neutrik or Amphenol plugs and some Mogami, Belden or whatever cable. Last forever.

Though the Fostex have a 3.5mm 1/8" plug, no?
Since I've bought them used, they didn't have the plug, but did have all the other stuff (XLR cable with XLR to 1/8 adapter cable).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Look into Thomann.de

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I assume the XLR is a 4-pin so it can be used with balanced amps ?
The Thomann cable is for 3 pin (to connect XLR to 6.3mm TRS jack.

When your XLR is a 3-pin you need to insure the ground pin is 'common' and that L and R are correct.

An option would be to order a 4 pin XLR connector along with it (if this is the case) and (have ?) that connector mounted on the 6.3mm TRS cable instead of the 3 pin XLR connector.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
oh wow. this thread shows it's hard to find non overpriced but appropriate cables!

Top Bottom