• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

理性派HiFi X5 Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 53 25.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 132 62.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 26 12.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Slit == Scan? If there is any good with the Scan Speak driver, the legit ones, then it is the internals of the motor. Cone and surround are mediocre performers to put it politely.

The original scan speak revelator series are one of the best midwoofers you can get. They are used in Strauß NF 3,
Many Wilson Audio speakers and many other high end speakers.
They scan speak revelator measure and sound very well.

The woofer used in this X5 speaker is definitely a knockoff. The basked and presumably all parts are different to the scan speak original. So I wouldn't judge the scan speak design by its knockoff.

anphex

Forum Donor
This speaker has strong enough resonances that it sings on its own. That is a deal breaker for many.
Looking at the speaker and behaviour my hunch is that some loose screw or part inside of the speaker was resonating.

Mario Sanchez

Huh, sometimes ASR is mental.
This speaker for a pair costs less than ONE piece of the speaker reviewed right before this one, performs better but people on average give it a worse rating.
What's up with you guys?
I gave it a fine. It needs work, but considering the price I won't whine about its rudimentary crossover network and thusly lack of compensation for driver behavior, if only they had more consistent construction, the sample we're seeing here clearly had misaligned screw holes, the cabinet/assembly process should be reworked such that less misalignment occurs, and what does occur don't end up with screws breaching out of their holes...
I saw that the manufacturer claim sealant for marriage between the drivers and the cabinet, it's there on the tweeter (white goop), and we're not seeing it on the woofer, maybe that as well could have helped seal up the cab and tighten up the structural bond.

That's my rationem for the rating, as for others, some seems a bit more concerned than I am for the sliced-cone driver, but honestly I don't quite share that concern - it's not like these alleged replicas are showing up all over the place outside China, and it fills a niche in the market there - not everyone in a developing country can afford premium parts, and if replicas give them a taste of what the tech can do, eventually some (likely not all) will turn to the original manufacturer, and a lot more people will end up satisfied than if there's only imported parts with tall markups (taxes, dealer's share, etc.) available.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Looking at the speaker and behaviour my hunch is that some loose screw or part inside of the speaker was resonating.
I just posted the same thing on page 8:

spacevector

Forum Donor
OK, here is the teardown.

I checked the screws on the woofer and one was a bit loose. The others were pretty tight. Screws used were long and coarse threaded. Unfortunately the rabbet is not sized correctly for the screws used, causing the holes to blow out:
View attachment 268934

On the positive front, the enclosure is made out of some kind of hardwood, not a laminate on chipboard or MDF. You can see the grain travelling through the rabbet. You could guess the same from rounded over corners.

Here is the woofer with no branding on it:
View attachment 268938

The crimped connection for the positive terminal of the connecting wire felt flimsy, possibly indicating some of the strands were cut.

I took the stuffing out which exposed the second order crossover for each driver on a PCB:

View attachment 268935

I assume the air core inductor is for the tweeter and iron core one for the woofer. Couldn't see the markings on the capacitors but look to be non-electrolytic.

Half-way up or so there is a brace:
View attachment 268936

It seemed to be solidly glued in there. Above that is of course the tweeter. I could not find an easy way to take it out so took a picture with a mobile phone:

View attachment 268937

As with the woofer, it seems like a generic part with no marking on it.

That's all I have for you.
Poor crimping on the tweeter connections. The insulation is not crimped at all.

1677860341701.png

Example of a good crimp:

1677860846481.png

dtaylo1066

Translation might say:

6a00e5520572bb8834017c3875ac22970b.jpg

Looks like a Scan-Speak mid-base on the outside and performs OK. No reason to buy it, and you really can't.

fineMen

Major Contributor
The woofer used in this X5 speaker is definitely a knockoff. The basked and presumably all parts are different to the scan speak original. So I wouldn't judge the scan speak design by its knockoff.
I don't want to reiterate my argument. We anyway agree in saying that not all that looks Scan is actually Scan. We might agree that the looks of Scan isn't necessary for a good speaker, as there are other technologies with different looks available, which in some criteria superseed Scan in performance.

The driver in question copies the looks alone, right? We know better.

test1223

I don't want to reiterate my argument. We anyway agree in saying that not all that looks Scan is actually Scan. We might agree that the looks of Scan isn't necessary for a good speaker, as there are other technologies with different looks available, which in some criteria superseed Scan in performance.

The driver in question copies the looks alone, right? We know better.
I am not shure if it is the looks alone. It is pure speculation since there are many potential good and bad parts of the driver which all add up. We only get the measurement of the final results in a box which adds another layer of complexity. I completely agree that the final results doesn't look that good as a scan speak revelator should look like.

If I remember correctly, the manufacturing of the scan speak revelator needs a lot of manual labor and they experimented with the depth of the cuts and the whole pattern was optimized based on the normal modes of the specific typ of cone.

It is like the ripple of the bigger JBL cones which were copied a lot but were most of the time not optimized in the knockoffs.

There are many different ways to build a good cone.

fineMen

Major Contributor

PeteL

Major Contributor
Basically nothing. But from the measurements I may conclude that the concept isn't specifically successful. My focus lies on the surround, though. It shows resonance with unduely raised intermodulation distortion. In other words, the technique of slicing the cone shouldn't be considered the prominent merit of those drivers, but the motor. Anecdotally, the motor design has always and ever since defined Scan Speak's excellence. I already worked with those old AlNiCo powered devices, jaw dropping stellar in performance, back then!
Thanks for the answer. may you link some measurments? Not gonna lie, I am a big fan of Scan Speak, I hear you that it may be mainly about the motor, but I find "mediocre at best" a bit strong but I am not a speaker designer. My speakers are based around the Classic serie 18W/8542-10 which is only very slightly more affordable than revelator, if we can use that word for such expensive drivers, now, I do hear all kind of critics that this big dust cap is wrong, ok but then why does it sound so damn great. And the beauty of speakers... As opposed to electronics, is that the differences are very audible... I do feel that when you've reach this level of performance at designing drivers, you may not have to be perfect at everything but you probably don't design just based on "Let's make our woofers recognisable", I feel like design decision must be coming from some testing, maybe some different measurments than the typical specification metrics, and it may have it's compromises and benifits. But without going trough the design as a whole I sometime find it a bit reaching, even when someone have experience designing drivers to go and say they should have done this or that instead. So it comes down to ok, so why those revelator and illuminators have some visible patterns and not their .lower end. line just because? Or why did they chose paper, or this other material or why these serround are like this or that. In the end, it's the whole thing that's great no? A product is more than the sum of it's part. You could have the best surround, the best material for woofer, the best motor, and still make crap drivers if they don't work well together.

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just chiming in with a more accurate translation of the brand name - "Objectivist Faction".

Side note: Faction Audio is totally a cool name for an audio brand.

Last edited:

192kbps

We might not be professionals about acoustics; we might not be industry insiders about speaker measurements and the NFS system; it might even be that we aren't that well-versed as enthusiasts in audio, so we turned to professionals for answers.
On the topic of Klippel NFSes and relevance of measurement (s) made by these systems, we went to Dr. Floyd Toole, Dr. Sean Olive, and many other professionals/well-versed enthusiasts making their stay on this forum, including Amir himself. They have provided response on the topic of NFS and some of the speaker designer/manufacturer's statements on social media. For any and all interested individuals' reference, I will provide these responses in a bound version.
As some of these conversation happened via PM or similarly private channels of communications, approval has to be obtained prior to making it public, so some content are withheld until final decision(s) has been reached in that regard.
Full version for these pending conversations, identifiable by their truncated nature, will be released in a new post if past the time window for editing this post.
From Dr. Floyd Toole
1677905323034.png

From Dr. Sean Olive
1677901043236.png

1677901195412.png

1677901055829.png

1677901072151.png

1677901102101.png

1677901121853.png

By Erin's Audio Corner
YouTube:
Klippel's Near-Field Scanner vs Anechoic Chamber: Discussion with Christian Bellmann
1677905423271.png

By NTK
1677901715572.png

By amirm
This is my translation of the speaker designer's speech on social media, and Amir also responded one by one.
1677901783734.png

Last edited:

the shy

Doesn't look too bad, all things considered. Throw in some extra filters and it should make a fine desktop setup for a reasonable price, though usability doesn't look great right out of the box, and the tweeter level seems a tad too hot.
The manufacturer did talk about how this model is "made for desktop use" too, so maybe that dip across upper bass is some form of pre-emptive desktop compensation filter baked into the response, still no justification for the funny resonance around the 400Hz mark.
扣1送地狱火

lilin

We might not be professionals about acoustics; we might not be industry insiders about speaker measurements and the NFS system; it might even be that we aren't that well-versed as enthusiasts in audio, so we turned to professionals for answers.
Honestly, amirm and 鬼斧神工119 are all my respect audio popular science writer, but sometimes he is really a little paranoid. hope that he can seriously reply to the evaluation. But it seems that he doesn't plan to do.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Last edited:

AdamG

Forum Donor
Huh, sometimes ASR is mental.
This speaker for a pair costs less than ONE piece of the speaker reviewed right before this one, performs better but people on average give it a worse rating.
What's up with you guys?

Poor Quality Control is grounds for lower rating. Speakers vibrate. That’s what they do and it’s a specific design goal. Mounting hardware should be chosen and installed to prevent loosening. Saying things may have come loose during shipping is not a valid excuse unless the item exhibits significant external damage from a major impact. Poorly centered pilot holes, some so far off center they no longer have 360 thread support. These are legitimate reasons to downgrade the score yes? Should be an easy fix for the OEM to correct QC failures in assembly and final inspection. If they desire to enter any foreign markets they must design for the speaker to survive the journey. That may require better driver attachment hardware and a combination of improved protective shipping containers. In the big scheme of things, these are relatively easy and cheap to correct. Your product may test and perform as designed at the Factory. However, that becomes meaningless if the product does not reach the customer in the same condition.

Edited version. Previous post had incorrect Quote. :facepalm:

AdamG

Forum Donor
Honestly, amirm and 鬼斧神工119 are all my respect audio popular science writer, but sometimes he is really a little paranoid. hope that he can seriously reply to the evaluation. But it seems that he doesn't plan to do.
Not an entirely new response here. Amir is more than accommodating in working with the OEM to rectify any tests or test methods that the OEM feels were accomplished in a different manner or take part in a constructive conversation to resolve issues related to the results. Absent this effort on the OEM’s part, not much he can do to change or improve the result’s/conclusions. Just saying that he does not agree with them is far from a scientific actionable argument.

the shy

Translation: “Deduct 1 to send Hellfire” ???

Please post in English here. Thanks
In China, some people who blindly follow the trend will send "one deduction for hell" everywhere. So some people like to use this to refer to those who have no opinions and say what others say. In China's hifi circle, there is such a small group of people who will only repeat some words of the sound maker, attack others everywhere, and call it "science", but they do not really understand these "science", so I use this sentence to refer to these people. The member I replied to knows Chinese, and I am trying to communicate with him using this slang

Last edited:

Mario Sanchez

Translation: “Deduct 1 to send Hellfire” ???

Please post in English here. Thanks
Well, I'll apologize for him, we're acquaintances in another community (with a vastly different atmosphere and convention for communication). He's still learning the ropes of ASR and its rules w.r.t. posting and communicating, and this is a case where habit from that other community leaked through, we're working on reducing these occurrences.

Top Bottom