• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

✳ This is it ... the scientific topic we always wanted to discuss ...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Pah! lights impossibly slow. At the least one needs to travel at relative kilolights to get anywhere.

No, your sensation of elapsed time would be reduced. Cross the Galaxy in a few minutes, though "time" back on Earth would progress 100,000 years or so.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Pah! lights impossibly slow. At the least one needs to travel at relative kilolights to get anywhere.

The proper term:

Amy Mainzer "We think that the speed of light is unimaginably fast on a human scale. However, in astronomical terms, it's actually kind of pokey."

Amy Mainzer is an American astronomer, specializing in astrophysical instrumentation and infrared astronomy

Vini darko

Major Contributor
No, your sensation of elapsed time would be reduced. Cross the Galaxy in a few minutes, though "time" back on Earth would progress 100,000 years or so.
I never mentioned travaling in normal space. Since matter disintegrates into plasma at around C. As Stephenee mentions tricks would be needed. So time dilation may not be a factor.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
The proper term:

Amy Mainzer "We think that the speed of light is unimaginably fast on a human scale. However, in astronomical terms, it's actually kind of pokey."

Amy Mainzer is an American astronomer, specializing in astrophysical instrumentation and infrared astronomy
She's quite right.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
No more than mentioning "the sky is blue".

The sky is blue is exactly what I get right now outside.
It is a splendid day; I feel like I'm living the present moment. :cool:

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
Interesting stuff but from what I read here and my limited understanding of time travel, it seems that it is impossible but who am I to discount that a possibility could still be realized. Realistically how we can change our future is by learning our past, change what we can now in the present and hope the future will be brighter for us.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Not just now, but physics and cosmology are my favorite "go to sleep" TV topics.

Check out Sean Carroll's channel on youTube.

Oh, would you rather talk about Carla Bley and Frank Zappa; they sure time travel these two innovative musicians/composers.

* Give it a shot Ray, they are both very short, and fun and educative too. Serious and fun @ the same time...can't go wrong with that. Besides, a siesta is good for ya after recovering from a fever.

** Mindscape; they have one on Time Tavel?

Last edited:

Grandzoltar

Forum Donor
The speed of light is the hard speed limit of physics. But the speed of light won't cut it for space travel not only are other solar systems thousands of light years away the amount of mass increase at the speed of light would be to great. Alcubierre warp bubbles are the way without breaking laws of physics and making time travel possible.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Warning, it's thirty minutes long ...
If it's worth it is all up to you.
Me of course it was worth it or I wouldn't be talking to you right now. :)
Go faster, you might save time, like 29 minutes plus. :D

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Well, better get on it - 'cuz everything is getting further away

True, the universe is expanding and getting further away in itself.
...Perhaps falling into a giant black hole, and on the other side there's multiverse?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Just think for only one second; being able to master time travel we could fix our past mistakes. We could get rid of this pandemic just for a start.

Am I unrealistic, or are we simply not advanced enough, or both?
Nobody can possibly know if time travel is possible. Even the theories that support the concept are themselves so complex and understood at such a cursory level that any assumption that time travel is possible is quite premature, IMO. Heck we thought that if we understood the human genome well enough we could develop personalized, genetic treatments. I would suggest that the science behind such things are much less complex than time travel and despite pouring billions of dollars and many years of research, pretty sure we still are essentially unable to conduct such treatments. Heck, for many people the best we can do for their arthritis is to tell them to take Tylenol. We can barely control influenza so I think we are stuck in this time dimension as a species for a very, very, very long time.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
One of my favorite discussions of black holes, white holes, and time, from one of my favorite-est of all episodes of Red Dwarf.

HOLLY: What happened to that plan to make me brilliant again?
KRYTEN: Of course! Blocking up the white hole has eradicated its
influence! The time it spewed into the universe no longer exists.
RIMMER: Meaning?
KRYTEN: Well, basically, we occupy a redundant timeline. Reviving the
toaster, making Holly a genius; none of this is going to have happened.
RIMMER: What about us? Are we just going to pop out of existence? Just
going to cease to be?

During KRYTEN's response, the walls in the background fade from view,
being replaced by a starfield

KRYTEN: We will cease to be HERE, because none of this will have
occurred. But we will exist back on Red Dwarf, before all this began.
With, of course, no memory of these events, which, of course, never
happened. And as these events never happened, we will have no memory
of them. In which case, Mister Rimmer, Sir, I should like to take this
opportunity of saying that you are the most obnoxious, trumped-up,
farty little smeghead it has ever been my misfortune to encounter!

The End

The whole script is worth reading.
http://www.cervenytrpaslik.cz/scenare/EN-22-4_White_Hole.htm

Needless to say, the whole episode is worth watching.
:cool:

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
We can barely control influenza so I think we are stuck in this time dimension as a species for a very, very, very long time.

That doesn't sound too promising.
You think our planet will still be orbiting the Sun in one billion years?

Top Bottom