• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

< €50 IEM with similar shell as KZ DQ6

RHO

Major Contributor
I'm looking for an affordable (< €50) IEM with a very similar shell design as the KZ DQ6 but better sound. (DQ6 is too bright)
I've got difficult ears for IEMs but like a set that I can use with my VR set (No EQ available). Neutral with some bass boost would be fine.
I could go for the KZ Zex Pro but don't know if I should support the brand since their shady practices came to light (adding non functional drivers for marketing reasons).
Maybe CCA CRA + could also fit my ears.
Tripowin x HBB Mele is also on the list but I'm not sure these will fit for me.

Any other good options out there?

For reference:
Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusks fits my ears very well. (don't want to use these while sweating and making sudden moves with my head)
Moondrop Chu does not stay in my ears.

I think I need a somewhat longer nozzle. A larger diameter doesn't hurt.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not the same housing, but they will definitely stay in your ears: have you considered Etymotic?

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
Not the same housing, but they will definitely stay in your ears: have you considered Etymotic?
I don't think deep insertion will work for me.
If the price is OK, I could still try them. What's the best place to get the ER2XR? (Europe)

MCH

Major Contributor
What's the best place to get the ER2XR? (Europe)
In my experience, wait that they are in offer in amazon.com (US) and import them. They sometimes go as low as <70$. I ended up paying something like 80-90 euros (can't remember exactly) for my SE after taxes fees etc.

Right now you have the er2SE + something that looks like the apple dongle for 72$

https://a.co/d/6RmnzOu

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
In my experience, wait that they are in offer in amazon.com (US) and import them. They sometimes go as low as <70$. I ended up paying something like 80-90 euros (can't remember exactly) for my SE after taxes fees etc.

Right now you have the er2SE + something that looks like the apple dongle for 72$

https://a.co/d/6RmnzOu
I don't think the SE will do it for me and I don't need the dongle. I can't EQ on my VR set so I will need the bass to be there.
I hope the XR will drop in price soon. (summer sales?)

MCH

Major Contributor
I don't think the SE will do it for me and I don't need the dongle. I can't EQ on my VR set so I will need the bass to be there.
I hope the XR will drop in price soon. (summer sales?)
Was an example, both se and xr move up and down the same price range roughly quite randomly.
From camelcamelcamel:

amazon-new.png

staticV3

Master Contributor
Besides the ER2XR, you should also consider the Moondrop Aria 2021 and Dunu Titan S
Etymotic ER2XR (oratory1990) vs static IEM target.png Moondrop Aria 2021 (Crinacle calibrated) vs static IEM target.png Dunu Titan S (Crinacle calibrated) vs static IEM target.png
Target is my own (I don't like Harman's in-ear target)

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
Reactions: MCH
OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
Judging by how sweaty I am after an hour of RagnaRock I think I better keep the budget @ about €50. They are not going to last long I'm afraid. (It's hot and humid at the moment.)

Vict0r

Are you using a Quest? Because the Koss Portapro mod for the Quest is great! You can order a cheap 3dprinted adapter from Etsy, or grab an STL file from Thingiverse and have it printed locally. You then attach the Portapro or KSC75 drivers from a Koss headphone. Sounds great!

I personally don't like IEMs with my VR set, because the cable microphonics are very apparent when moving around.

engineeredaf-hi-fix-quest-2-headstrap1.jpg

Schermafbeelding 2022-06-24 om 08.52.21.png

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Try to find a Sony MH755 for some 7~10$/€ if you can, they fit what you need (bass boost and short back the neck cable with small hosting) or at least stated that's what you want. If you menage to find them (check the Sony tag on the cable for authentication) for the price keep them even if you don't like them.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
Are you using a Quest? Because the Koss Portapro mod for the Quest is great! You can order a cheap 3dprinted adapter from Etsy, or grab an STL file from Thingiverse and have it printed locally. You then attach the Portapro or KSC75 drivers from a Koss headphone. Sounds great!

I personally don't like IEMs with my VR set, because the cable microphonics are very apparent when moving around.

View attachment 214371
View attachment 214372
Yes, I use the Quest.
Cool idea but I don't think that's what I looking for. I actually like wearing IEMs with the Quest.
Try to find a Sony MH755 for some 7~10$/€ if you can, they fit what you need (bass boost and short back the neck cable with small hosting) or at least stated that's what you want. If you menage to find them (check the Sony tag on the cable for authentication) for the price keep them even if you don't like them.
Hmmm, looking at the graphs for that Sony ... surprisingly good for a €10 IEM. But I guess there's more fakes out there then genuine Sony products.

I think I will increase the budget to ~€100. I can live with a little above that even.
So Moondrop Aria looks really nice, but again I'm a bit worried about the fit.

Vict0r

Have you tried Comply foam tips on your Chu?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Regarding that he can use cheap KZ foam ones.
@RHO for me FiiO FH1s ain't bad (but that one measure almost flat regarding bass, it can take a punch there [increase]), but as you requested bassy they might not be your cup of tea and I don't really know about casing and your fit of course. I don't use IEM's anymore.

Those are about 60~70 € and stock cables aren't great.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
I'm now trying the large INAIRS AIR2. They fit surprisingly well and they stay in better than with any other tips I had tried. There is a little pressure at the entrance of the ear-canal, but it's tolerable. I had tried with the M and the comfort was a little better but still the seal broke.
This could be the solution.
I need to try it when I'm actually wearing the Quest. I'm now sitting at my desk shaking my head to try how secure they fit.

Last edited:
OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
Regarding that he can use cheap KZ foam ones.
@RHO for me FiiO FH1s ain't bad (but that one measure almost flat regarding bass, it can take a punch there [increase]), but as you requested bassy they might not be your cup of tea and I don't really know about casing and your fit of course. I don't use IEM's anymore.

Those are about 60~70 € and stock cables aren't great.
For listening to music I can surely live with neutral. But for playing ritme/music games on the Quest some extra bass is welcome.
The Chu is on the minimal side of what is enjoyable. The Blessing 2 Dusk is about perfect I would say. But I don't like to use them when I'm sweating hard and moving my head a lot.

The FH1s looks interesting. Looks like they have a shape that would fit for me too. But it's about the same in the bass as the Chu, so don't know if that will be an upgrade in that regard.

If the Chu doesn't have the punch in the bass I like when playing games (it's more than what I like when listening to music), I'm going to look further.
I'll test the Chu during the weekend and decide if they work for me with the L foam tips and bass performance or not.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
I was in the mood for shopping and honestly ... I won't miss the money ... Went for the KZ ZEX pro and Moondrop Aria 2021.
I think I'll use the KZ for VR games and the Aria will stay in the office. I have the Blessing 2 Dusk for the home office. :)

Leiker535

The KZ ZSN pro is a nice one, if you don't mind the whole controversy around the dead drivers.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
The KZ ZSN pro is a nice one, if you don't mind the whole controversy around the dead drivers.
Yes, it is a controversy. But they do fit my ears and if the tuning is right, they do at least one thing right at a very affordable price. You can't always say that from other brands. Dead drivers or not.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
I just got the Moondrop Aria and KZ CRN in.
First quick impressions:
Aria sounds very natural. Good bass. Mids are very good too but just a little more forward than I expected. Treble is very nice I think. Overal a very balanced sound.
The CRN sounds quite nice too. Bass is a little less full than on the Aria (a tad less upper bass?). Mids are good too but a little darker than the Aria. Maybe the upper mids have just the opposite character. They are bit more pushed back. Treble is not bad but there's a little too much of it. I like it a little less pushed forward.
Comfort on both is a very good for my ears. Absolutely great. Although I have to use the Spinfit CP100 XL tips on the Aria to get a good seal. On the KZ I can use the stock L tips.
Build quality on the Aria is clearly better than on the KZ. But for the price the KZ is actually build very nicely. The cable on the KZ is ... usable... I hope it doesn't break too soon. It is better than on older KZ's. That cable was unusable. The cable on the Aria is of a much better build. But I don't know if I like the fabric wrap. It makes the cable a little stiffer. Not excessively so. It's still a good cable. EDIT: Oh my goodness that cable is microphonic!:oops::confused: I think I'm going to need to replace it. I have some that I can use I think. But it will spoil the easthetics of the Aria. (I don't have black cable)

I also made a mistake in ordering a Moondrop cable for my B2 Dusk. I was convinced it had 3.5mm termination but it does not. It has a pentacon plug ... So I can only use it at home. Oh well, that was the plan anyway. (I bought the Aria to use at work, so the B2 Dusk can stay in my home office.)

I'm going to compare the Aria to the B2 Dusk later on today. I think it will be very close between those.

Last edited:
Top Bottom