• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

“Mystery” speaker opinion sought.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are blinded to brand and speaker appearance.

2 way active DSP speaker with these measurements on and off axis.

Opinions? I think it would be interesting for @amirm to run the speaker under a full test and not disclose what speaker he is testing initially to see what the blinded forum discussion is... :)

7B48EB3F-7E33-4963-B782-A1892F5986F6.jpeg

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are blinded to brand and speaker appearance.

2 way active DSP speaker with these measurements on and off axis.

Opinions? I think it would be interesting for @amirm to run the speaker under a full test and not disclose what speaker he is testing initially to see what the blinded forum discussion is... :)

View attachment 62445

I really like this idea. I don't think it's any Neumann/Genelec/ADAM/HEDD/Mackie stuff. My guess would be Sonodyne.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a loudness built in (5 dB more in bass, lower DI in the upper highs) so my guess it is not a studio monitor. Or the measurement was not done by the Klippel NFS.

If the change in DI at 1 kHz is due to the x-over it must be a fairly big teeter (horn/waveguide),. In this case the woofer could be 10" or bigger, although with DSP you can add some correction also for an 8" woofer (but this would not make sense for a big tweeter in a consequentially big box).

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I wouldn't have a clue who the manufacturer is. Wouldn't even begin to guess.

I do agree with @MZKM that it appears like a large woofer to have that kind of directivity. That said, if I had to guess I would say it is arrayed woofers just because it would take a woofer approximately 67 inches in diameter to begin beaming at 100hz.

Potential crossover near 1kHz with the dip showing up off-axis?

Looks good, though, at least to me. Really well controlled directivity.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looks like something from JBL's cuisine.

Jon AA

Forum Donor
I agree with some of the others. Looks like a large woofer with a large ~90 degree constant directivity horn. Maintaining directivity pretty well over 10K I'd guess it's a 1" throat at the biggest. The directivity match at the crossover isn't perfect, but not too bad either. Overall, I'd say it would score very well and sound very good.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks smoothed - doesn't look like constant but rather controlled directivity to me.

Jon AA

Forum Donor
Looks smoothed - doesn't look like constant but rather controlled directivity to me.
Well, everything's relative. ;) Very few horn advertised as constant directivity can actually maintain that at the extreme angles. It's all a matter of degree. This one's quite flat to +/- 50 degrees, gradually sloping off after that. It's certainly not a Klipsch/Tractrix or one of the botique horns talked about in the other thread which start sloping steeply before you're even out of the listening window.

Regardless of what it may be called, I agree it's very well controlled.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, everything's relative. ;) Very few horn advertised as constant directivity can actually maintain that at the extreme angles. It's all a matter of degree. This one's quite flat to +/- 50 degrees, gradually sloping off after that. It's certainly not a Klipsch/Tractrix or one of the botique horns talked about in the other thread which start sloping steeply before you're even out of the listening window.

Regardless of what it may be called, I agree it's very well controlled.

Good points. In that regard it may very well be considered constant although there seems to be a little less 'knee' than on some other CD design I've seen. Still looks a bit smoothed though :)

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
JBL 5150.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it would be interesting for @amirm to run the speaker under a full test and not disclose what speaker he is testing initially to see what the blinded forum discussion is... :)
Translation: "It's a Bose."

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do we get the vertical measurements?

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The vertical measurements aren’t available. If each person on this thread donates some money, maybe we can get Amir to order one and then raffle it off.

I have already sent in two sets of speakers to Amir for review. No room at home for this set... :)

Under $1000/pair. If someone is interested in buying one and sending it to Amir, can also PM me.

Top Bottom