• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

“Klinger Favre vs others” or “Studio monitors vs hi-fi speakers”

choqueiro

Hi!!

My name is Juan. I´m from Spain (Europe). I’m 42 years old. Father of three children of 3, 5 and 7 years old (I´m never bored.... hahaha). I work on a real estate company. We make buildings and sell the homes. Sorry for my horrible english. Let’s hope you understand me.

Lately I‘m hearing a lot of good things about Klinger Favre speakers… or I should better say studio monitors… (http://klinger-favre-english.blogspot.com/). If hi-fi world is already enough complicated for newbies like me, the controversial between these two type of products, one for the professional market and other for the home enthusiast, is really confusing. It seems to be a classical debate…(https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...udio-monitors-vs-hi-end-hi-fi-speakers.26706/).

Recently I was talking with a renowned audiophile that has a high-end hi-fi shop, and he said me, talking about this controversy between professionals monitors vs hi-fi speakers the next: ”I don't care if it's studio or domestic. I only care about sound”. After hearing his words I think: That's not what this is all about?? The SOUND.

This audiophile also talked me about the Klinger Favre speakers. For him, one of the best out there, with no distinction between professional monitors or hi-fi speakers. In his favour I must said that he don’t sell Klinger Favre. Although he would like to sell it, Klinger sells only direct to customers. No dealers.

Many monitors are active’s. Not this case. From many monitors it is said that their sound is excessive analytical (that can cause fatigue) and I think: this quality is exclusive of the monitors?? Many hi-fi speakers are analytical, even harshness, and no one talk about “studio sound”. Furthermore, we talk in some cases of ”German sound” or similars…

In reference to Klinger Favre speakers. I know very few people in this forum know them and many less have been able to listen to them. So if anyone could provide me of any information/experience about them, I would be very grateful.

Thanks to everyone.

tuga

Major Contributor
Recently I was talking with a renowned audiophile that has a high-end hi-fi shop, and he said me, talking about this controversy between professionals monitors vs hi-fi speakers the next: ”I don't care if it's studio or domestic. I only care about sound”. After hearing his words I think: That's not what this is all about?? The SOUND.

That "Sound" is probably his preferred "presentation"; we all have one.

Some people are more inclined towards a system that reproduces the signal with a high degree of accuracy whilst others go for what sounds best to them regardless of the level of fidelity. El gusto.

OP
C

choqueiro

That "Sound" is probably his preferred "presentation"; we all have one.

Some people are more inclined towards a system that reproduces the signal with a high degree of accuracy whilst others go for what sounds best to them regardless of the level of fidelity. El gusto.
For sure tuga. That‘s why are different options/brands/technologies, each one with it’s particular presentation. But I’m not talking about the particular taste of this audiophile. The absurd, to me, is that when this particular clinical or analytical sound comes from studio monitors, it seems that the hi-fi community does not appreciate in the same way as when the exactly same analytical sound come from hi-fi brands/speakers. And all of us know famous hi-fi brands with this presentation. To me, the only explanation to this is marketing and consequently higher prices, something that, unfortunately, is connatural to hi-fi brands in opposition to the studio monitors brands.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lately I‘m hearing a lot of good things about Klinger Favre speakers… or I should better say studio monitors… (http://klinger-favre-english.blogspot.com/).
I had a look to the web page:
  1. No specs at all beside sizes, weight and chassis dimensions
  2. Dubious sensitivity specs - if they are really that high the smaller 2-ways cannot deliver bass. Which may be true because frequency range is not specified.
  3. For one 2-way speaker the x-over ist stated of being 1st order. That's a recipe for desaster.
  4. The claims in the section about super tweeters are just ridiculous, plain wrong and against all results of scientific research.
So I'd say this is not a typical maker of studio speakers. Have a look to the web sites of Neumann and Genelec to see what they present in form of specs, advice and knowhow for their customers.

OP
C

choqueiro

I had a look to the web page:
  1. No specs at all beside sizes, weight and chassis dimensions
  2. Dubious sensitivity specs - if they are really that high the smaller 2-ways cannot deliver bass. Which may be true because frequency range is not specified.
  3. For one 2-way speaker the x-over ist stated of being 1st order. That's a recipe for desaster.
  4. The claims in the section about super tweeters are just ridiculous, plain wrong and against all results of scientific research.
So I'd say this is not a typical maker of studio speakers. Have a look to the web sites of Neumann and Genelec to see what they present in form of specs, advice and knowhow for their customers.
For sure LTig. I’m a newbie and I can’t judge because I don’t have your technical knowledge. The very little comments in english that I found about these speakers is in the “gear space” forum. It’s a forum of professionals and they talked about pro monitors and they talked very well about these Klinger Favre (https://gearspace.com/board/mastering-forum/386876-who-knows-klinger-favre-speakers.html).

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For sure LTig. I’m a newbie and I can’t judge because I don’t have your technical knowledge. The very little comments in english that I found about these speakers is in the “gear space” forum. It’s a forum of professionals and they talked about pro monitors and they talked very well about these Klinger Favre (https://gearspace.com/board/mastering-forum/386876-who-knows-klinger-favre-speakers.html).
I mainly see a lot of sighted opinions with no real value to other people except the reviewer himself. One person states to have extraordinary audio memory which is very unlikely knowing the results of scientific research.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
. The absurd, to me, is that when this particular clinical or analytical sound comes from studio monitors, it seems that the hi-fi community does not appreciate in the same way as when the exactly same analytical sound come from hi-fi brands/speakers. And all of us know famous hi-fi brands with this presentation. To me, the only explanation to this is marketing and consequently higher prices, something that, unfortunately, is connatural to hi-fi brands in opposition to the studio monitors brands.
Your explanation is not far from the truth.

What the hi-fy community ignores is that their wonderful music has gone through some 100 opamps during production and that it is mixed and mastered mostly on active studio monitors (at least in the past 15 years), often by Genelec, JBL, ATC, Neumann or others. Therefore it makes sense to use similar speakers at home to get an experience as close as possible to what the mastering engineer had.

The prob!em is that not all recordings are good and an accurate representation may sound worse than a flawed one where deficiencies in the recording (e.g. not enough bass) are counter acted by deficiencies of the speakers (too much bass). However the correct solution is to have an accurate system and fix problems in the recording by proper tone controls (which sadly almost all highend equipment lacks).

Stephen

This audiophile also talked me about the Klinger Favre speakers. For him, one of the best out there, with no distinction between professional monitors or hi-fi speakers. In his favour I must said that he don’t sell Klinger Favre. Although he would like to sell it, Klinger sells only direct to customers. No dealers.
Don't get fooled. Forget about shining finish and precious wood: Go for well known brand. I read the 'Gearspace' page and i am extremely skeptical. I agree with LTig... have you noticed the dates: 2009/2010...:facepalm:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Many monitors are active’s. Not this case. From many monitors it is said that their sound is excessive analytical (that can cause fatigue) and I think: this quality is exclusive of the monitors?? Many hi-fi speakers are analytical, even harshness, and no one talk about “studio sound”. Furthermore, we talk in some cases of ”German sound” or similars…
Sorry, but this is total nonsense. The "excessively analytical" thing sounds like it's ragging mostly on NS10s, which are incredibly fatiguing because they're extremely bright and have a nasty presence peak of about 5dB at 1.5k.

OP
C

choqueiro

Don't get fooled. Forget about shining finish and precious wood: Go for well known brand. I read the 'Gearspace' page and i am extremely skeptical. I agree with LTig... have you noticed the dates: 2009/2010...:facepalm:
Yes Stephen. The dates are from 2009/2010. Are you suggesting that the comments in 2009/2010 of speakers that continue in the market nowadays are not useful?? If I’m not wrong in the professional market changes are not a “need” as in the ”commercial” market. Studio monitors catalogues doesn’t suffer changes if there is not a technical justification. I see ATC and other brands, and they have the same models since many years.

Recently I read an interview to Greg Timbers (https://positive-feedback.com/interviews/greg-timbers-jbl/). To the question “Who do you admire as a speaker designer today?” he answers: “I honestly don't pay much attention to loudspeaker designers any more. Every now and then I see something that looks cool or refreshing to me, but mostly everything is a rehash of what has gone before and is so covered with marketing hype that I just don't care”. I totally agree. I don’t think 2009 is so far away technically…

DanielT

Major Contributor
In line with other answers in this thread:

I would never ever buy expensive Hifi from something unknown, untested. Can be great, can be total rubbish.Better to spend the money on something that is recognized as good.:)

My tip, read a ten, twenty reviews/ tests done on speakers. Select them at random. You will be amazed. I can take two examples.

Bad:
Check the price:

What should I take ... hm ..

Good:

More:
.. active speakers, studio monitors, floor-standing speakers and so on.:)

Erin also makes sense. Here the website. Also check out his Youtube videos .:

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Your explanation is not far from the truth.

What the hi-fy community ignores is that their wonderful music has gone through some 100 opamps during production and that it is mixed and mastered mostly on active studio monitors (at least in the past 15 years), often by Genelec, JBL, ATC, Neumann or others. Therefore it makes sense to use similar speakers at home to get an experience as close as possible to what the mastering engineer had.

The prob!em is that not all recordings are good and an accurate representation may sound worse than a flawed one where deficiencies in the recording (e.g. not enough bass) are counter acted by deficiencies of the speakers (too much bass). However the correct solution is to have an accurate system and fix problems in the recording by proper tone controls (which sadly almost all highend equipment lacks).

According to Douglas Self, "there is probably no music on the planet that has not passed through a hundred or more 5532s on its way to the consumer".[3] The performance of the 5532 remained best in class for almost thirty years, until the introduction of the LM4562 in 2007.[4] As of 2021, the 5532 remains in mass production as a generic product.

.... so only change a few , or only one NE5532 when the signal has passed through a lot before is hm ... well:

______

Edit:
I post this, in case anyone reads and wonders what an OP amp is::)

Last edited:

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you really want to use some of these speakers, I'd ask directly KF for pricing, measurement data (FR, phase responce, distortion at some defined SPL at least) and compatible equipment like recommended power amp.
If people pretend to call their speakers "monitors", they shall provide evidence of competent performance and compatibility with standard equipment. Otherwise they are just boutique hi-fi speaker builders, even if they equipment is really superior to anything available.
Or you can just come and listen them.

Without this, any purchase is a lottery.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I admit, I don't understand why people bother with these random weird boutique brands that have very little information, poor websites(a blogspot? seriously????) filled with sketchy marketing claims, and speakers that look like they were designed to look unusual first and everything else second. Is it the attraction of finding something off the beaten path? Just aesthetics?

There are so many excellent manufacturers that produce well understood, properly measured and reviewed products. I can't see why any studio would buy these.

kongwee

Major Contributor
The people here just concern about console room setup in studio. If you move to mastering studio, you will see all those "audiophile" being look down upon being used.

Stephen

Yes Stephen. The dates are from 2009/2010. Are you suggesting that the comments in 2009/2010 of speakers that continue in the market nowadays are not useful?? If I’m not wrong in the professional market changes are not a “need” as in the ”commercial” market. Studio monitors catalogues doesn’t suffer changes if there is not a technical justification. I see ATC and other brands, and they have the same models since many years.

Recently I read an interview to Greg Timbers (https://positive-feedback.com/interviews/greg-timbers-jbl/). To the question “Who do you admire as a speaker designer today?” he answers: “I honestly don't pay much attention to loudspeaker designers any more. Every now and then I see something that looks cool or refreshing to me, but mostly everything is a rehash of what has gone before and is so covered with marketing hype that I just don't care”. I totally agree. I don’t think 2009 is so far away technically…
If you are convinced that these speakers are the 'best' then buy them... We will be happy to have you feedback/comments and eventually comparison with well known brands.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Hi!!

My name is Juan. I´m from Spain (Europe). I’m 42 years old. Father of three children of 3, 5 and 7 years old (I´m never bored.... hahaha). I work on a real estate company. We make buildings and sell the homes. Sorry for my horrible english. Let’s hope you understand me.

Lately I‘m hearing a lot of good things about Klinger Favre speakers… or I should better say studio monitors… (http://klinger-favre-english.blogspot.com/). If hi-fi world is already enough complicated for newbies like me, the controversial between these two type of products, one for the professional market and other for the home enthusiast, is really confusing. It seems to be a classical debate…(https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...udio-monitors-vs-hi-end-hi-fi-speakers.26706/).

In reference to Klinger Favre speakers. I know very few people in this forum know them and many less have been able to listen to them. So if anyone could provide me of any information/experience about them, I would be very grateful.

Thanks to everyone.
Can you borrow and listen to them before you decide to buy? If you have the opportunity to do so, try to take the opportunity to borrow a few more speakers to compare with (any friend of yours who has some speakers to lend, maybe?).

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Klinger Favre is not far from me. I went there once. They have classical speakers: a set of 2 ways and 2 large 3 ways. The woodworking is really nice and if you are looking for a better looking Focal for example that could be it.

The experience was a bit baffling: they are knowledgeable and for example you can get your speaker customised easily if you know what you want. The part on amplifiers and dacs was complete voodoo.

Sound wise: it is not a recent experience so take it with a grain of salt. I would say flat on axis, wide dispersion: it was pleasant to listen to them on axis. SPL capabilities were high.

Looking at the various designs, it is unlikely that the directivity will be great.

My conclusion was: speakers are expensive for what they are but look is original and I liked it. They were not bad at all, kind of similar to a Focal Be6.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Klinger Favre is not far from me. I went there once. They have classical speakers: a set of 2 ways and 2 large 3 ways. The woodworking is really nice and if you are looking for a better looking Focal for example that could be it.

The experience was a bit baffling: they are knowledgeable and for example you can get your speaker customised easily if you know what you want. The part on amplifiers and dacs was complete voodoo.

Sound wise: it is not a recent experience so take it with a grain of salt. I would say flat on axis, wide dispersion: it was pleasant to listen to them on axis. SPL capabilities were high.

Looking at the various designs, it is unlikely that the directivity will be great.

My conclusion was: speakers are expensive for what they are but look is original and I liked it. They were not bad at all, kind of similar to a Focal Be6.
If they are good, they are good.:) But what do they cost?

Waxx

Major Contributor
There are a lot of well known and reviewed speakers in all kind (coloured and neutral) that should be way higher on your list of checking. That brand is hyped by some but i never saw any neutral info, measurement or reports of known studio people with a good reputation. What you like i don't know, but i do know that you should not follow a hype created by one person. I prefer a more coloured sound, but that also can be measured and put in numbers and graphs in a neutral objective way, and it's done. If there are no detailed specs or reports and/or measurements from more or less objective reviewers (like here) or so, don't trust it. There is a lot of bullshit and claims that can't be true in the hifi world, and also in pro audio btw.

Top Bottom