• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

“Audiophile Power Cable” results

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm repeating what others are telling you. Stop with the SPL meter. Use a voltmeter and test signal. Accurate, simple, quick and you'll clearly know if there is a difference. Don't try and clean up a dirty procedure when a super clean one is available and easier to do.
when I think I'm getting low on gas - I don't look at the fuel gauge - I have the car weighed and calculate the difference from the car's weight with a full tank...

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
when I think I'm getting low on gas - I don't look at the fuel gauge - I have the car weighed and calculate the difference from the car's weight with a full tank...
Isn’t that the way it is supposed to be done?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Absolutely! There's more than one way to skin the metaphorical cat*.

vew7tc926vr51.jpg

OP
H

hothwampa

And another repeat. Regardless of how careful you were in your technique, the likelihood of measurement error is just too great based on your results.

For there to be a 3dB change in output, your amplifier would have had to double it's power output. This seems highly unlikely unless there is something very wrong with your amplifier.
Yes that makes sense. Extraordinary claims etc. Will post follow ups hopefully tomorrow if anyone interested.

Punter

The original cord would have to be truly awful to create the effect described by the OP. There would have to be some serious internal or contact resistance somewhere either at the wall end or the amp end. To drop a significant amount of voltage, the OEM cord would be warm or hot either along it's length or at either end where the cable is terminated on the connector. Regardless of this, the amplifier could probably still operate at normal listening levels with a reduced input voltage. I agree that the most consistent way to measure amplifier output would be with a voltmeter on the speaker terminals with a constant tone as a source.

OP
H

hothwampa

Oh, we're interested.
The original cord would have to be truly awful to create the effect described by the OP. There would have to be some serious internal or contact resistance somewhere either at the wall end or the amp end. To drop a significant amount of voltage, the OEM cord would be warm or hot either along it's length or at either end where the cable is terminated on the connector. Regardless of this, the amplifier could probably still operate at normal listening levels with a reduced input voltage. I agree that the most consistent way to measure amplifier output would be with a voltmeter on the speaker terminals with a constant tone as a source.
Thank you, quick question, is it ok if the speakers are connected when measuring?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you, quick question, is it ok if the speakers are connected when measuring?
Yes of course. The voltmeter has a very very high internal resistance and won’t change the impedance the amp “sees”. Just be careful you don’t accidentally short it with you measurement leads.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Accurately measuring SPL with a microphone is virtually impossible unless you are in a full controlled environment. I have seen changes in SPL measurements caused by me just standing in a different spot during the measurement.

Anyway, to cause a power drop on low power equipment (which an amplifier is) the original cord must have been completely broken (making bad contact) or super thin. Otherwise you won't be able to limit the power enough to cause such an effect. And if you were creating such an effect by having such a cable then the cable would get super hot.

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Absolutely! There's more than one way to skin the metaphorical cat*.
the problem I have now -is trying to find gasoline sold by the pound...

radix

Major Contributor
Yes that makes sense. Extraordinary claims etc. Will post follow ups hopefully tomorrow if anyone interested.

Have you measured the two power cords, e.g. are the hot/cold correct, are the pins bent, etc.? I don't know how old your house is, but outlets do go bad (become loose), so maybe the new cord simply makes better contact.

Do you have a bias adjustment on the tube amp? It might be interesting to measure that bias voltage between the two cords.

Marc

OP
H

hothwampa

Ok guys, got the exact same v reading on the multimeter. As expected, unreliability of ears and consumer db meter at work, as most of you surmised. Appreciate the help and expertise. You guys rock. Btw, I think I heard a veil lift when I moved my amp to take the readings (I kid, I kid).

Top Bottom