• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

£350/$450 to spend on a Pi/Tinkerboard music server....where to start (help)

gfx_1

I`m also considering a Pi3, but except audio playing I`d like to use some internet browsing also, can I do this with a Pi dedicated audio OS?
You can install raspbian (desktop or lite) and add the audio stuff from the apt repository.
I have a raspberry pi 3 with in a simple case with a digital out (optical and coax) card (card and case were less then $20)
I run mpd as audioserver (like volumio and moodeaudio) mpc for quick testing via ssh and cyp as webinterface.
I played around with the desktop version of raspbian on the pi 3 and it has made a lot of improvement from the raspberry pi 1 days...

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A 2GB Raspberry Pi 4 in any case of your choosing running Volumio plus a Topping d50s DAC should run you around $315 total. If you want to save another $90 you could get a Topping E30 DAC.

I use a 2GB Raspberry Pi 4 in a Miuzei case running Volumio to feed my Topping DX7 Pro. I have over 1,500 hours of music on my Synology DS918+. I stream wirelessly acrsoss my Linksys Velop mesh network. I control Volumio using the iOS app and surf the internet on my iPhone XS Max while listening to music. Works great.

Martin

Top Bottom