• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SOtM SMS-200 Networked Audio Player Hardware Teardown and Pictures

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a follow up to my review and measurements of SOtM SMS-200 Networked Audio Player: http://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...w-of-sotm-sms-200-network-player-part-1.1846/

Here, I am tearing down the box and showing the guts. Hope you enjoy :).

The unit is rather small but pretty heft. The shroud is a heavy gauge anodized aluminum which gives me no doubt about its ability to dissipate the necessary heat. After taking off the very tight torx screws, we are greated to this beautiful sight:

20170819_092114.jpg

As you see, it is a two-board configuration. The small board on top is the switchmode DC to DC converter (more on this later). The base board holds the microprocessor (most likely ARM based) and all the necessary peripherals.

I am a sucker for white solder mask and hence my comment about beauty. It doesn't do anything electrically but after decades of seeing green ones, it is an emotional relief. :)

Zooming into the power board as is, we see high quality choice of electrolytic capacitors:

20170819_092124.jpg

"Tonerex" is the "audio grade" capacitors from the respected company Elna. No cheap, random brand Chinese part here. Unscrewing the power board shows its full guts:

20170819_093424.jpg

We see good bit of filtering components and if we zoom in further, we see the main switching dc-to-dc converter:

20170819_095449.jpg

That's an ST Micro ST1S10 series switching converter: http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en...tching-converters/buck-regulators/st1s10.html

Because it is switching, it means that it has high efficiency so the device doesn't mind having large input supply range. Indeed I powered it with 12 volt supply instead of the 9 volt that it comes with and it ran just fine.

Focusing on the main board, here is a full shot of it:

20170819_093540.jpg

I must say, I was surprised to see a full custom CPU board. DIY type products like Sonore microRendu use off-the-shelf CPU boards (see http://audiosciencereview.com/forum...ore-microrendu-hardware-tear-down-review.770/). Not here. This is an in-house designed board:

20170819_092352.jpg

This is shows much higher level of design skill, outside of typical audio tweaker hardware companies who just mess with power supply and such.

I did not want to peel off the heat sink to discover the CPU/SoC in use since this is a loaned unit.

Not that it is all that useful but here is a part that does not have a heatsink:

20170819_092633.jpg

This is the AXP209 which is from Power-X and performs power management functions (see: http://dl.linux-sunxi.org/AXP/AXP209_Datasheet_v1.0en.pdf)

Overall quality of the board is excellent. I see no hacks, jumpers, hand mods, etc. Check out the silicone adhesive on the power connector:

20170819_092212.jpg

That is there to make sure the connector does not come loose. Pretty nice quality touch although other connectors were not so treated.

Overall, this is a product created by a company with strong engineering and design expertise. It is a pleasure to open a device and see this level of quality.

Overall, a thumbs up from me!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Forgot to post this important bit:

20170819_105049.jpg

The unit has regulatory certification for both CE and FCC. This is important in that it shows that it meets the limits of how much RF radiation/conduction it has for those who worry about such things in audio. And of course is a legal requirement in both US and Europe.

Kudos to them to go to such expense to do things properly.

Last edited:

Interference

By dissecting a SOtM operating system image, it seems to be based on Fedora Linux running an armv7hl kernel. All dtb files start with the sun7i-a20 prefix, which would suggest the device uses an Allwinner A20 SoC.

Top Bottom