• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sequential damage

dmac6419

Major Contributor
So sorry for your loss! :( I hope the company provides good customer service and compensates you for the collateral damage their product did to your headphones. Hopefully they will want to investigate what caused the problem so they can put the right safeguards in place to prevent this from happening again.
Class Action?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't go legal.
@solderdude 's good advice + house insurance in parallel is how I would move.
The seller will just send it to the manufacturer and will probably not doing more and almost certain nothing about the consequences (headphone and else).
The manufacturer will certainly consider.
This site has 17.000 members, quite some power as per @dmac6419 's hint ;)

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sad to confirm this was , as most would have guessed, a Topping L30 that failed. Topping customer service have confirmed the warranty doesn't include damage to headphones.

To the best of my knowledge it was taken out by a static charge. I am in contact with the seller who have requested I return the unit. I will do this if they cover the return postage but to be honest I will not be looking to use the replacement item I am sure they will provide. I just cannot be comfortable using a device with a known flaw that could take out another set of headphones.

In my view this is a fatal design flaw , especially given the subsequent damage that can result from this amp failing. If I recall correctly, the static charge happened at the end of the day with the headphones unplugged and I was powering down. It was the next day on powering on and inserting the headphone jack that the damage to the headphones occurred. So whatever component failed (and one did, I can smell the damage inside) does not result in the unit not powering up. It then seems to allow DC into the headphones, which is a definite no-no. So not only can the device be damaged by static, my unit remains on in what must be an unsafe state.

I would strongly advise anyone looking to buy an amp to look to something with a longer track record than this. If you own one, I am not sure what advice to give you other than take care and try and discharge any static built up on you before going near the unit.

Edit: by remains on, I mean I can plug it in, lights on etc and happily let it kill another pair of phones. It's not in shut down. I got a cheap pair of phones and tested and they too made the horrific crackles when inserting the jack. I obviously then disconnected it.

Last edited:

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sad to confirm this was , as most would have guessed, a Topping L30 that failed. Topping customer service have confirmed the warranty doesn't include damage to headphones.

To the best of my knowledge it was taken out by a static charge. I am in contact with the seller who have requested I return the unit. I will do this if they cover the return postage but to be honest I will not be looking to use the replacement item I am sure they will provide. I just cannot be comfortable using a device with a known flaw that could take out another set of headphones.

In my view this is a fatal design flaw , especially given the subsequent damage that can result from this amp failing. If I recall correctly, the static charge happened at the end of the day with the headphones unplugged and I was powering down. It was the next day on powering on and inserting the headphone jack that the damage to the headphones occurred. So whatever component failed (and one did, I can smell the damage inside) does not result in the unit not powering up. It then seems to allow DC into the headphones, which is a definite no-no. So not only can the device be damaged by static, my unit remains on in what must be an unsafe state.

I would strongly advise anyone looking to buy an amp to look to something with a longer track record than this. If you own one, I am not sure what advice to give you other than take care and try and discharge any static built up on you before going near the unit.
Very balanced and fair post.

It is extremely disappointing to see such a design flaw. It's one thing for faults to develop, it's quite another thing to experience sequential damage.

I'm afraid that Topping have gone down in my estimation. I say this reluctantly as I own 2 X Topping DACs that work faultlessly and I am the first to admire what they do. I know that they're investigating the situation, but it's too late for your headphones. I feel quite deflated.:(

Wombat

Master Contributor
Low margin products generally suffer in the warranty stakes. It costs real money to service warranty processes.

'Disposable' has become the norm., unfortunately. Some service may apply early on but fades as sales grow.

Vote with your wallet but don't repeat the lower type of purchase if you expect support.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would suggest a boycott of all Topping gear. If nothing else, you have to just to protect yourself.

I had narrowed down an upcoming purchase for a second system to Topping and one other brand. My choice has now been made.

gegebinazzi

I would worry more about my hearing ? If the bang occurs while I use the phones.
When my L30 killed my headphones they were on my desk and the pop was really loud, no idea if earing damage loud, but then again they were 20mm driver on ear 90's style type of headphone, I'm afraid that a bigger design/driver could be even worse if on your head?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
When my L30 killed my headphones they were on my desk and the pop was really loud
It would be interesting if you could please post here few pics with the internals of the L30, maybe there's some smoked components inside.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe a good habit to have is to connect everything before putting them on your head , just in case.
You could also by mistake fiddled with the volume for example

gegebinazzi

It would be interesting if you could please post here few pics with the internals of the L30, maybe there's some smoked components inside.
I have not disassembled the unit because I was waiting an answer from topping, I was willing to send the unit back to them instead of just getting refunded from amazon. They offered a refund or another L30 (yeah no thanks), but I'd have to arrange shipping to china, and that's just not easy for me, so I'll get it picked up by amazon. I'm asking if I can get to keep the item, in that case I'll open and take some pics of the inside, otherwise I'm afraid I won't risk opening it!

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I would suggest a boycott of all Topping gear. If nothing else, you have to just to protect yourself.

I had narrowed down an upcoming purchase for a second system to Topping and one other brand. My choice has now been made.
Looks like I will be returning my L30 to Apos, gonna test it on a cheap pair of headphones and see what happens, I have a lot of static between me and my cat

dmac6419

Major Contributor

What headphones were they.

Veri

Master Contributor
Sad thread all around :( I love the sound of my little L30... so far haven't had a single glitch but I'm starting to consider moving to the upcoming A30 Pro which has a different powering scheme altogether. Either keep the L30 as back-up or auction it.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In the EU, damage to property other than the product itself is covered by the Product Liability Directive. The UK would have implemented the directive, and it is probably not yet replaced.
Property damage in private use is covered mandatorily by the directive if the damage is at least 500 EUR. There may be other laws that apply to lesser damage. The directive applies if the product was purchased from an EU reseller, in that case the importer is responsible. If the product was imported from China by the consumer, the directive does not apply.

raif71

Major Contributor
Oh what sorrow
Headphones now hollow
Hoping tomorrow
To see a rainbow :cool:

Top Bottom