• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nvidia Shield on Android 11

jmtocali

I have the 2017 version. Today I received the Android 11 update. In the device controls under Advanced Sound options now the Shield allows to pass all the audio untouched over HDMI. Checked on my Onkyo TX-8270 receiver and it's effectively passing all audio on its native frequency: I have sideloaded Apple Music, Amazon Music, Qobuz, Roon, Idagio and USB Audio Player Pro and it changes to the original: 16/44.1, 24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4, 24/192
I think this puts the Nvidia Shield as a serious and versatile streamer option.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Yes finally the Shield is off the Leash and no more third party music player. I think my Node just got bumped into 2nd place. Tidal and Amazon no down sampling..So far I’m definitely impressed. This is possibly a game changer! Still digging in the various settings but DAMN it sounds incredible! Excellent post @jmtocali thank you!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the 2017 version. Today I received the Android 11 update. In the device controls under Advanced Sound options now the Shield allows to pass all the audio untouched over HDMI. Checked on my Onkyo TX-8270 receiver and it's effectively passing all audio on its native frequency: I have sideloaded Apple Music, Amazon Music, Qobuz, Roon, Idagio and USB Audio Player Pro and it changes to the original: 16/44.1, 24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4, 24/192
Do you have access to Dolby Atmos on the Apple music app? and does it forward it properly?

AdamG

Forum Donor
I have the Shield TV Pro and it’s $199. Bucks USD. It might be the new go to budget Streamer! Maybe I need to pack it up and ship off to @amirm for some real performance testing?

Last edited:

AdamG

Forum Donor
Do you have access to Dolby Atmos on the Apple music app? and does it forward it properly?
No Apple Music App or Qobuz available in the Shield play Store.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No Apple Music App or Qobuz unfortunately.
Do you mean that there isn't an app or that Atmos tracks are not available?

Because i'm pretty sure an Android version of the app definitely exists and you can sideload it if it's not available on the play store of the shield.

OP
J

jmtocali

The 2017 Shield is not recognized by Apple Music as Dolby Atmos capable (same happens to my tablet). I think that the 2019 should be.

mugbot

Forum Donor
A word of warning, the new update breaks Plex media server for media on USB. I gather a fix is in development.

Thread on Nvidia forums:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Yep, I can see in the changelog that they've added:
Adds option to match content audio resolution (high resolution audio)

I really wish Nvidia would have been more clear on the difference btw years...but according to wiki:
1642054096255.png

I don't have Nvidia Shield, but this update brings me closer to getting one.

Last edited:

depechefan

Hi all,

I was trying a 44.1 file on Nvidia Shield 2019 using Kodi. Most of my music is stored on a NAS. My receiver still tells me that the sampling rate is 48 KHz. Is this a Kodi problem? Can I use a different app to get the correct sampling rate?

Thanks in advance
/M

sonicboomer

Hi All, can anyone confirm that the shield’s audio can be routed through the usb port? I’m looking to use it just for stereo, for both movies and music, and be able to control volume through one remote.

OP
J

jmtocali

Hi All, can anyone confirm that the shield’s audio can be routed through the usb port? I’m looking to use it just for stereo, for both movies and music, and be able to control volume through one remote.
The Shield has an option for USB audio. I think you should check the Stereo Hifi and Sync options

Morla

Forum Donor
I use a douk audio U2 for the USB Port to route that into my motu lp32 using spdif/toslink.

In the shield you can usb audio mode set to either stereo (44.1) or stereo high quality which is 192khz (the android resampling)

And i can control volume by using the shield's remote. Just dont set fixed audio volume.

I think the new audio setting in android 11 is for hdmi

Last edited:

AdamG

Forum Donor
Do you mean that there isn't an app or that Atmos tracks are not available?

Because i'm pretty sure an Android version of the app definitely exists and you can sideload it if it's not available on the play store of the shield.
FYI been experimenting with the Shield and discovered that even though Qobuz is not available in the Play Store. I am able to open Qobuz on my IPad Pro and select the Shield as the Audio output and am getting a full size Qobuz screen and complete bit-perfect streaming. My Denon 8500 reports same bit depth as player over HDMI. So if you have an iPad or even a iPhone you may not need to sideload Qobuz.

From my experiments using this method to cast Qobuz to the Shield over wifi it looks to be bit limited to 24 bits / 96 kHz as maximum capability. That is more than good enough. Highly doubt I can hear the difference anyhow. So this seems like a very simple solution.

Can’t get Apple Music to cast to the Shield. Might be my limited knowledge here but I did try.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI been experimenting with the Shield and discovered that even though Qobuz is not available in the Play Store. I am able to open Qobuz on my IPad Pro and select the Shield as the Audio output and am getting a full size Qobuz screen and complete bit-perfect streaming. My Denon 8500 reports same bit depth as player over HDMI. So if you have an iPad or even a iPhone you may not need to sideload Qobuz.

From my experiments using this method to cast Qobuz to the Shield over wifi it looks to be bit limited to 24 bits / 96 kHz as maximum capability. That is more than good enough. Highly doubt I can hear the difference anyhow. So this seems like a very simple solution.

Can’t get Apple Music to cast to the Shield. Might be my limited knowledge here but I did try.
You’ve probably been using Google Chromcast (the protocol, not the device) to cast to the shield. And maybe that’s why Apple music didn’t work because Apple stuff don’t do that.

What i would really like to know if you have the time please is that if you install Apple music android app (by getting the .apk from somewhere on the web) is whether you would have access to Atmos that way.

AdamG

Forum Donor
You’ve probably been using Google Chromcast (the protocol, not the device) to cast to the shield. And maybe that’s why Apple music didn’t work because Apple stuff don’t do that.

What i would really like to know if you have the time please is that if you install Apple music android app (by getting the .apk from somewhere on the web) is whether you would have access to Atmos that way.
I’m sorry but you are going to have to forage in the interweb for an answer. Or at least another Shield owner who also subscribes to Apple Music. I don’t have an account and I don’t believe, even if I were able to sideload the app, that a guest/unpaid/free account is going to have access to the Atmos library. If I could I most certainly would try to answer your question about this.

Wolf69

Hi,

just found this useful topic on google and subscribe to the forum!

what apple music pkg are you using because i sideload one and the control are terrible i can’t access the bottom menu and browse my library for exemple, i also can’t see where the selection is…

thanks for your help

OP
J

jmtocali

Hi,

just found this useful topic on google and subscribe to the forum!

what apple music pkg are you using because i sideload one and the control are terrible i can’t access the bottom menu and browse my library for exemple, i also can’t see where the selection is…

thanks for your help
I sideloaded the last version. I use the Nvidia Shield control app from my phone, because as you said, the navigation is awful.

gaburko

This is potentially great news. Can someone check if it passes bitperfect via USB audio as well or only via HDMI?

Top Bottom