• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MOTU UltraLite Mk5, New Audio Interface Generation With New Drivers, USB-C & More

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if this one will play well with linux.

It seems to work with iOS as a USB audio class compliant device, so hopefully, that means it also works with Linux as well. As far as I can see the M4 is also class compliant, and works with Linux as well.

It's too bad the EQ and filter capabilities are so limited, otherwise, it would make for a great active crossover.

dwkdnvr

It seems to work with iOS as a USB audio class compliant device, so hopefully, that means it also works with Linux as well. As far as I can see the M4 is also class compliant, and works with Linux as well.

It's too bad the EQ and filter capabilities are so limited, otherwise, it would make for a great active crossover.

The previous AVB interfaces claim to work with iOS and be 'class compliant', but have significant issues under Linux - channel mapping jumps around unexpectedly, and occasionally they decide to blast noise and distortion into things. Hopefully these are better, but until stable operation is proven I'd have to assume the worst. It's too bad - these would be ideal interfaces for active xovers and multi-channel setups if they were stable. The new Mk5 looks even better than the previous generation - 10 outputs and 6 analog inputs is a lot of flexibility.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In Linux class compliance devices of only two channels work ok. My experience with any device having more channels is you rarely get channel mapping to work. You get anywhere from partial function to nearly nothing.

dwkdnvr

In Linux class compliance devices of only two channels work ok. My experience with any device having more channels is you rarely get channel mapping to work. You get anywhere from partial function to nearly nothing.

AFAIK the M4 works fine, but of course limited to 4 channels. Due to the nature of the channel mapping jumps, it seems related to the interfaces with >8 channel capability. I believe the Okto DAC8 also works ok, so it seems like not all higher-channel-count interfaces have problems.

Some promising news about AVB from the latest update here though: https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18046&sid=cd945b4d529a46b34dd31ea8e217f7b1&start=555 . Requires a specific Intel chipset NIC, but this might be an interesting option.

The new Mk5 doesn't support AVB, so may be a different internal architecture. Not impossible that it may work better. Really nice looking unit for the price, but still outside impulse-buy-just-because territory.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
@dwkdnvr got it in one. The last kernel included work from someone with a motu email address to improve compatibility with the M series interfaces though, so there's some hope they're giving linux compatibility more consideration, but I'll believe it when I see it.

The i210 NIC is needed for the hardware timestamping AVB uses. It should also work with the BeagleBone Black.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this a problem of the Linux driver?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks good, but what else can you say at this point?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Is this a problem of the Linux driver?
To be determined, probably on a per-device basis. There are certainly people who don't have a problem with it, at least with specific multichannel devices. How much is down to missing standard coverage, differences of standatd interpretation (since for many manufacturers 'class compliant' means 'works with iOS'), bugs in the driver or bugs in the device firmware? Add to this the problem that the class compliance may cover the audio itself, but not the device controls, and that the device controls may include a mixer matrix, and you have a further complication.

Tks

Major Contributor
Locking XLR's, ehh it's supposedly more Pro so it's fine.

Amphenol connectors, :facepalm: Neutrik or bust at this price point tbh.

OLED screen, burn-in galore here we come

Everything else seems great.

It's nice to see someone finally offering some PEQ DSP onboard for an interface to compete with some of the RME stuff. Though idk what they were thinking with simply 4 bands it seems.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OLED screen, burn-in galore here we come

The variable elements (the EQ itself) are either off or constantly moving. The type is always in the exact same location, so there's nothing underneath to show any potential burn in on. Also, good luck seeing burn in on a pitch black background. ;)

Top Bottom