• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crown XLi 800 Power Amplifier Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Crown XLi 800 pro Power Amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member. The XLi 800 costs just US $269 including free shipping. Hard to imagine so much electronics from a brand name company selling for so little.

NOTE: my company (Madrona Digital) is a dealer for Harman and sells a lot of Crown amplifiers.

EDIT: I left out the letter "B" out of class AB below. I don't know anyone who is building class B audio amplifiers.
Unlike some of the switching amplifiers from Crown, this is a class AB amplifier with seemingly linear power supply as it is quite heavy. From the outside though, it look like countless other commercial amplifiers:

Crown XLi 800 class AB stereo amplifier Audio Review.jpg

There are two gain controls in addition to very useful clipping indicators. Speaking of clipping, there is a compressor in there that limits power output to maximum no matter how much you increase its input. It is a nice feature that is surely there to stop the amp from stressing while saving a speaker from blowing up due to a mistake upstream.

The back panel is as you expect:
Crown XLi 800 class AB stereo amplifier Back Panel Connectors Audio Review.jpg

In use the unit never even got warm. I had headphones on so did not take note of when/if the fans came on.

Amplifier Audio Measurements
Let's see how the XLi 800 does in our usual dashboard at 5 watt output into 4 ohm using a 1 kHz tone:

Crown XLi 800 class AB stereo amplifier Audio Measurements.png

Ouch! We have very high distortion of 0.13 to 0.16%. The spec is 0.5% so it is within what they say but this is very high. Translated into SINAD (signal over noise and distortion) our 57 dB value sinks into the bottom range of all amplifiers measured so far:

Best Stereo Amplifiers Reviewed and Tested.png

Signal to noise ratio at 5 watt is nothing to write home about either:

Crown XLi 800 class AB stereo amplifier SNR Audio Measurements.png

Frequency response is fairly flat and predictable:

Crown-XLi-800-class-AB-stereo-amplifier-Frequency-Response-Audio-Measurements.png

Power into 4 ohm relative to THD+N gives us:

Crown XLi 800 class AB stereo amplifier Power into 4 ohm Audio Measurements.png

That is a lot of power. And tremendous value at just 50 cents per watt.

As one would predict, we lose some of that into 8 ohm:

Crown XLi 800 class AB stereo amplifier Power into 8 ohm Audio Measurements copy.png

Determining maximum power and peak with 1% THD+N gives us these:

Crown XLi 800 class AB stereo amplifier Power into 4 ohm Max and Peak Audio Measurements.png

Crown XLi 800 class AB stereo amplifier Power into 8 ohm Max and Peak Audio Measurements.png

We have fair bit of headroom there.

I had a hard time measuring power across full spectrum at a given THD+N due to the amp limiting power (and hence distortion). Only managed to capture 0.9% and 0.5% THD+N power here:
Crown XLi 800 class AB stereo amplifier Power into 8 ohm Regulated Audio Measurements.png

As we would expect, we get less power at low frequencies because they tax the power supply more. Oh, the text on graph is wrong: should say 1% not 0.1%.

Finally, here is our frequency sensitivity relative to power and distortion+noise:

Crown XLi 800 class AB stereo amplifier distortion vs frequency vs level Audio Measurements.png

Best distortion is usually at lower frequencies and here, the improvement is quite good at 20 Hz. Alas, we also get less power before clipping (orange).

Otherwise, the lines are quite predictable with no funny non-linearity mid span as we get with some amplifiers.

Conclusions
Crown advertises the XLi 800 as a PA (Public Address) amplifier and that is what it is. Distortion and noise is kept in check just enough to do the job with tons of power for so little money. I suspect it is reliably too given the dual fans to keep it cool. And the market it is being sold into.

For hi-fi use, it is not something I would consider to drive full-range speakers. For subwoofer or active woofer duty, it would be fine.

As it is, I can't recommend the XLi 800.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Spent 4+ hours mowing our field today. Could have hired someone to do that and tested more audio gear. But I am too darn cheap with my own money. Your though could be put to that use so please make generous donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
So much noisier than the pretty noisy DriveCore series of Class-D amps... far less output power and only slightly less expensive (OK percentage-wise quite a bit, but less than $100 difference). Oh and no built in DSP either... I'm not seeing the value there for pretty much any application. :confused:

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Crown advertises the XLi 800 as a PA (Public Address) amplifier and that is what it is.

The manufacturers make this clear in the literature across the entire product range. Their specs reflect it. Your results show it.

Too bad we have so many militantly stupid audiophiles claiming these "pro" things are great for critical listening at home. They're not.

Just another audio myth, shattered by the cold truth.

digicidal

Major Contributor
The manufacturers make this clear. Their specs reinforce it. Your results show it.
Too bad we have so many militantly stupid audiophiles claiming these "pro" things are great for critical listening at home. They're not.

I would emphasize "these" in that statement. Technically Benchmark is a "pro" amp manufacturer in the same market (but not budget level obviously). There are "pro" classified components that are superior to your average audiophile gear and then others that are quite inferior (like this amp). The "pro" isn't the difference, it's the specifications and the purpose for which it was designed. I know you are aware of this... just being pedantic for clarity sake. ;)

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

Wombat

Master Contributor
I use a Yamaha XP1000 for up to 500Hz. Great amp. I have to say the price has significantly escalated since I purchased it. Much more expensive than the Crown in the review.
The XP 3500 is more than $1000 in the US.

Distortion spec. of XPs is <0,1%.

Last edited:

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How come the odd distortion is so much higher than the even distortion? Is it always like this or they did it so badly or they intentionally add in?

Aap op Sokken

How come the odd distortion is so much higher than the even distortion? Is it always like this or they did it so badly or they intentionally add in?

This is most likely crossover distortion, which gives odd harmonics. Crossover distortion is typical of class B amplifiers, which this is. The classical solution to this problem is the class AB amp.

The only reason to make a class B is to have low power usage, especially when amplifying silence, and low cost probably. I don't think class B is ever a good idea in hifi.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Amir, it might be useful for something like this to show the distortion residual. That way, the source of distortion will be evident.

KozmoNaut

I can't seem to find anywhere in the specs that calls this a class B amplifier, I would have thought it is class AB?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Considering the power and price. Also there is no big ps noise. I think it's fine for budget amp with power hungry speakers.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Whether this is class AB or class B, you need to read some books. Definition is the percentage of period of conduction. So basically this is either under biased class B or class C. I would say this is under biased class B. And the class AB people normally think of is probably critically biased class B. Class AB has a region where both upper and lower device conduct.

Reactions: mac

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Will he? :) The crown that he reviewed with adulation is the xls1502, not this model (at least the one I saw)
I'm not a big fan of Zeos' reviews, but I have an XLS1502 (in my garage system) and it's really pretty decent.

That amp is a good case study about how some of these benchmark numbers translate to real-world performance. Any listening environment is going to have a noise floor of 30-40dB anyway, so amps like the XLS1502 (75dB SINAD as measured by Amir) are not necessarily the end of the world.

I've had a lot of enjoyable hours listening to that amp alone and with friends. Plenty of detail, not harsh, etc. Granted, it's just my "garage" system and not in my main rig. But that combo pulls off some tricks my "nicer" systems can't.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would emphasize "these" in that statement. Technically Benchmark is a "pro" amp manufacturer in the same market (but not budget level obviously). There are "pro" classified components that are superior to your average audiophile gear and then others that are quite inferior (like this amp). The "pro" isn't the difference, it's the specifications and the purpose for which it was designed. I know you are aware of this... just being pedantic for clarity sake. ;)

There are a couple of commonly used definitions for the PA abbreviation: Public Address or Pro Audio, @amirm used the correct definition for this amp: Public Address. ;)

- Rich

Top Bottom