Search results

1. K

Anyone else just not bothered by home theatre?

I'm sure you have a nice setup that is the envy of everyone you know. You seem very invested in it, to the point of jumping to defend its virtues to "non-believers", which I'm sure is rather divisive in normal conversation. You know what, you win. I'm too old to care about gadget wankfests.
  2. K

I don't care about hearing the exact original mix, because then I would have to have the same setup in the same room and so on, as the person who did the mix. Where do you draw the line? All commonly used downmixing puts a bit of the rear channels in the stereo downmix anyway. I also don't care...
  3. K

You apply a prejudice, based on your own need for envelopment in sound and effects in order to enjoy art. I don't desire the same things as you, which you seem to not understand. You come off quite rude as a consequence. I don't need that and I don't care for it. I care about the story, the...
  4. K

I guess that shows the limits of your imagination. I don't need to artificially jazz up a movie to enjoy it, just like I don't need thousands of dollars of fancy shiny gear to enjoy the world outdoors.
  5. K

Exactly. I could certainly afford the money, time and effort to set up a good multi-channel setup in my living room, but I simply cannot see the value of doing so. I have a perfectly fine stereo setup with two well-integrated subwoofers, going multi-channel over that holds absolutely no value...
  6. K

I think it's perfectly rational to not really care about the spectacle, if the writing and acting can't back it up. An engaging script and convincing performance will always be more important than eye/ear candy. A spectacle is fun in the moment, it's like a rollercoaster ride. One hell of a...
  7. K

I'm not a big fan of Hi-res streaming services.

I have that by curating my own collection of mostly FLAC files, and by using a cloud storage provider with streaming capability (I use pCloud, but Google Drive also works with the right plugins). It takes a little bit more effort, but I control the provenance of everything. And my tagging is so...
  8. K

What lossy codec do you use

I can highly recommend getting a NAS, especially if you need to access your media storage from multiple devices. Mine is an older device, but it has a decent DLNA server and supports both FTP, Windows file sharing (CIFS) and NFS for *nix machines. Everything on it is available to stream to any...
  9. K

Sound-off If You Think You're Going Back to Work in the Office on the 30th!

I figure it'll top around mid-to-late April in Europe, with the US being perhaps 2 weeks after that. I fully expect to be working from home all of April, perhaps into May.
  10. K

Why Audiophiles Are Shopping for Vintage Turntables

That would be me ;-) I can fix just about anything mechanical and general electronics, I do know my way around a soldering iron and a multimeter. I can't fix ICs, but some are available either by themselves or in broken turntables sold for spare parts. My two current turntables for sale (CEC...
  11. K

My turntable is a Technics SL-QD33 (quartz-locked direct drive automatic P-mount) that I picked up in mint condition for ~$100, with the original Technics P30 cartridge. It needed a new stylus and I had a spare Ortofon Stylus 10, so I found an Ortofon OMT cartridge on Ebay for cheap and now it...
  12. K

You do know that you can ride motorcycles at ordinary speeds and just enjoy the ride, without having to challenge your reflexes every time?
  13. K

I have a confession

My hearing stops aroubd 16-17 kHz as well, and the noise floor in my living room is around 30-40 dB (city apartment). 16/44.1 is plenty good, and I figure most people on here have similar circumstances. Honestly I don't care much which format my music is in, as long as there are no obviously...
  14. K

What makes all this worth it?

For the music, and all the endless avenues of creativity it has. But my bar for "good enough" is not super super high. It has to be decently good, but the music itself is more important.
  15. K

Not testing your patience ;) Modern tunes and bad sounds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-world_hypothesis
  16. K

It's bad news for people who like to buy newly produced records. I do that once in a while, if a sufficiently retro-styled and old-school album comes out, harking back to the days of fuzzy hard rock and early heavy metal. But for all of us who vastly prefer frequenting second-hand stores for...
  17. K

Not testing your patience ;) Modern tunes and bad sounds.

There is plenty of land to build on in Australia or the US, protected lands cover a very small area in comparison to the overall landmass. Protecting land with natural ecosystems of flora and fauna is exceedingly important for biodiversity and the overall health of the natural world. People also...
  18. K

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Don't worry about it, a lot of people "hear" differences where there are none to hear.
  19. K

MQA Sounds Really Good!

Ain't no antagonizin' comin' from my end, hoss. Purely educational content.
  20. K

MQA Sounds Really Good!

Bye. I archive a lossless copy, and put a lossy encode on my phone. Not that complicated. I know you're just being facetious and pretending to not know what streaming is in order to lazily troll, but if you truly cannot see the difference between a 6 Gbit/s SATA connection, a 1 Gbit/s...
Top Bottom