Search results

1. Nicholas B

ART Precision Phono Pre Review

The version I received requires 9V AC. To answer my own question, no, you can't just plug 12V DC into this unit. I tried different voltages up to 19V DC. When using the required 9V AC plug, the clipping light blinks red, then green, then goes off and you're ready to go. Using DC, the clipping...
  2. Nicholas B

ART Precision Phono Pre Review

If you look at the current user manual for the ART Precision Phono Preamp, it would appear that the unit now uses a 12V DC supply, rather than 9V AC. In any case, even if specified as 9V AC for older units, would it not be possible to plug in a DC supply - perhaps more than 12V to take into...
  3. Nicholas B

Speaker protection

I've been using the Guardian 86 devices for a couple of weeks now (the first version) and they work flawlessly. Well, I haven't actually tried putting a significant amount of DC on the output of my amps, but I don't notice that they're there while playing music. I turn on the amps and the...
  4. Nicholas B

Do you mainly stream music or own it?

I still buy lots of CDs, mostly classical and jazz. These are ripped to FLAC and played through my system via a USB connected tablet. I do listen to internet radio where the streaming is at a high bit-rate and am currently trying a subscription to Amazon Unlimited. However, for finding new...
  5. Nicholas B

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Mine arrived in the post today. The equipment it is set up with is shown in my sig. I elected to use it in DAC mode, since I am now using my Schiit Saga S pre-amp solely for its stepped attenuator. This arrangement gives me the best gain structure (no hiss to be heard). A large part of the...
  6. Nicholas B

Douk HiFi 6N3 Vacuum Tube Preamp Review

I'm still using my X-A200s :cool: that I bought in 1999. Only recently I changed over all e-caps, including the power supply ones (unnecessarily it seems, their ESR was still pretty good), but the idle-bias did need considerable adjustment as both sides had drifted to almost nothing. However...
  7. Nicholas B

Speaker protection

Thanks Don. The amps are unbalanced and solid state, and I believe should be fine with Guardian 86 system (link in my last post), which uses mosfets for switching rather than relays. I ordered them right after my last post and will report back here, though that could be a few weeks. I don't...
  8. Nicholas B

Speaker protection

Thanks for all your responses! I've been reading up on speaker protection via Doug Self's amplifier book. Looks like fuses create distortion and aren't particularly reliable. So maybe avoid these, even though they would be particularly cheap and easy solution. As mentioned, looks like relays...
  9. Nicholas B

Speaker protection

Hi All! I haven't seen any discussion on speaker protection boards or similar. Perhaps I haven't looked hard enough :D. In any case, I'm running a pair of Musical Fidelity X-A200 monoblocs (for which I recently replaced the e-caps and adjusted/corrected bias). These still work well, but are...
  10. Nicholas B

I believe it was around September 28, 2021.
  11. Nicholas B

Woo-hoo! My black DX3 Pro+ just shipped from Shenzhen Audio (ordered October 10).
  12. Nicholas B

Software EQ vs Hardware EQ vs Analog EQ

I'm using a Behringer Ultragraph Pro FBQ6200 (31 band GEQ) combined with REW and UMIK-1 to equalise things. This solution worked better than I expected. FR is flat at higher frequencies and it is only in the bass that cancellations are difficult to address. Certainly room bass peaks (such as at...
  13. Nicholas B

I ordered mine on 10th October from Shenzhen Audio. Looks like it will still be yet a few more weeks before the DX3 Pro+ gets shipped. Those supply chain delays must be truly troublesome ...
  14. Nicholas B

Amplifier Power: How much do you really need and your system’s dynamic range.

Indeed. In the distant past I have lived with my speakers being run with amps as low as 70W (4 Ohms). I do wonder however whether my existing amps have lasted so long - at least, in part - because most of the time they're not being stressed and therefore never become overly warm.
  15. Nicholas B

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Maybe see what you can get for a family member ...
  16. Nicholas B

Amplifier Power: How much do you really need and your system’s dynamic range.

I finally decided to make the effort to see how speaker voltage input relates to listening levels at the listening position. Speakers are Duntech Black Knights (PCL400) - these are a five driver, three-way design from 1990 and come in at 154 pounds each, 90 dB @ 2.83V sensitivity, nominally 4...
  17. Nicholas B

Yes, I've seen the Sounds Easy prices. Those are the lowest prices. StoreDJ, Mannys, and other prof. audio places though are selling for full retail ($17450). However, until my Duntech Black Knight speakers (now 31 years old) go to speaker heaven, looking at the Genelecs will just remain an...
  18. Nicholas B

Actually, the most common price (RRP) many places are selling them at in Australia is AU$17,450 for a pair (~US$13,000). That does however include 10% GST.
  19. Nicholas B

Shenzhen Audio told me they are expecting them from Topping at the end of the month. If Apos and Shenzhen Audio are the same place, then this is consistent with what you were told.
Top Bottom