Search results

1. E

New Schiit Yggdrasil with TI chip

One thing I like about the DAC11001B (the IC they use for this) is that it's a voltage-out part. Makes it easier for DIYers to noodle around with.
  2. E

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

It's inevitable that they hiss to some extent. If you look at the datasheet for the TPA3116D2 that the 8030c uses, the output integrated noise spec is only 80dB down. As good as their engineers are, it's unlikely that they can do better than the datasheet. It's not a huge issue though.
  3. E

Genelec 8010A Powered Studio Monitor Review

The 7040 crossover isn't perfect in the sense that it doesn't appear to form a perfect LR4 crossover with any of the 8010, 8020 or 8030. But it's quite adequate and much better than nothing, and room issues are always going to dominate low frequencies anyway. That being said, if you can...
  4. E

DSP Measurements and Rising Noise Floor

This is a great point. There was a thread from 2018 where someone attempted to test for this, but it didn't get a lot of traction: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/invitation-audible-intersample-clipping-test.2231/
  5. E

If you want a pathological example, pick up Merzbow's Venereology. Most tracks have more than 7dBFS of inter-sample x-overs with a typical reconstruction filter, and one hits 11.30dBFS.
  6. E

I'm curious why you choose 3dBFS here (or 3.5dBFS as you mention in the article you linked to). It's entirely possible for intersample x-overs to exceed 3.5dBFS; it's just less common.
  7. E

Noisy digital audio on LG TVs

I deleted an earlier post because I misread JDS Labs' website, but I'm still confused by their measurements. It's clear they were using a 24-bit test signal, but the LG optical output is locked at 48kHz/16-bit depth (see the manual). So you expect to see some quantization artifacts with a 24-bit...
  8. E

Hearing damage potential from metal dome tweeters?

That's exactly what I was looking for -- thanks!
  9. E

This is a good point, thanks. With musical selections that skew towards white noise (e.g., Merzbow or anything heavily clipped), would there potentially be a concern?
  10. E

I'm curious if anyone is aware of any research on possible hearing damage caused by the resonant peak of some metal dome tweeters or metal cone fullranges? This isn't going to be a concern with many of the better speakers we discuss here that keep the resonant peaks fairly well-controlled, but...
  11. E

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

I think we're talking about different research. It sounds like you're talking about their work on loudspeakers. Their headphone target curve work is what I was referring to.
  12. E

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

They did, but from what I remember of Harman's research in developing the headphone curves, they didn't actually try to match the sound of a neutral reference system. Rather, their empirical work was to determine what sounded best for headphone listeners. It's possible that this would coincide...
  13. E

Revel M106 Bookshelf Speaker Review

I agree with this. They look great, but they are a little out of step with interior design trends. (Especially with the walnut finish, which has a very nice wood veneer; if they had a deep satin finish it would probably better honor the walnut.) KEF has been transitioning away from gloss...
  14. E

Revel M106 Bookshelf Speaker Review

I have the high gloss walnut M105. They're quite glossy. You can see your reflection in them, although it's a somewhat darkened reflection.
  15. E

Show us your Mechanical Keyboards and Mods.

Thanks... this is a hole I'll probably regret diving into :) I did some searching and I think it might be a "KBDFans KBD67". Not sure if that's considered good or not.
  16. E

Show us your Mechanical Keyboards and Mods.

I'm not too familiar with mechanical keyboards... which model is pictured here? I really like this one.
  17. E

MQA Sounds Really Good!

I wish that guy wouldn't use the HDCD indicator to draw conclusions about AAC or the lack thereof. Airplay does not do clock synchronization, so clock drift can result in resampling, even when PCM is sent over Airplay. The videos are too low resolution for me to tell what he's trying to...
  18. E

MQA Sounds Really Good!

No it doesn't -- Apple Music content gets encoded at 44.1kHz/16 bit PCM over Airplay 1 and 2.
  19. E

Syng Cell Alpha - 7.1 sound with three speakers ?

The in-room FR is not too bad below the Schroeder frequency, but beyond that it doesn't seem that the in-room correction is effective. Which makes sense, since it's sensing from the speaker positions. It also has the same bizarre enhanced bass behavior as the HomePods by default. Apple finally...
  20. E

The New MBPs Are Bonkers. . .

Darn, I hadn't seen that rumor! :) if it's colored like the 2021 iMacs, I'll have to cave and get my daughter one -- she has never stopped ogling the purple iMac. (I did see the rumor that Apple is going to launch a classical-focused music app, which does sound good.)
Top Bottom