Search results

1. P

Any experience or reviews for "Tivoli Audio Cube"?

As the keeper of 2 mini dachshunds, I got to get this! Don't really care how it sounds although reviews indicate it's tolerable for casual use.
  2. P

KEF R11 Meta Tower Speaker Review

I think it refers to the sound old fashioned lubricant cans made when used. Pic from Wikipedia.
  3. P

Any experience or reviews for "Tivoli Audio Cube"?

High end snobbery is not a good look for you.
  4. P

3 way Center Channel Recommendations

I will point out that a coaxial speaker avoids the dispersion issues that even a 3 way speaker can suffer from. KEF is likely the cheapest coaxial available although their cheapest, the Q150 and 350 is only sold in pairs. They do have the Q250 for $600 which is a dedicated center.
  5. P

New Leak Sandwich 150 and 250 speakers

They appear to use left and speakers which may hurt dispersion and may help imaging. The price tag of 2200 pounds puts it in very competitive market.
  6. P

Stereophile's Jim Austin Says Streaming Atmos Sucks

This is kind of what I was trying to get at which is that it's a new enough technology that it still has to find more acceptance. Every now and then I look at the Quadrophonic Quad site and see several new releases, typically older recordings remixed for multichannel. It seems like there is...
  7. P

Stereophile's Jim Austin Says Streaming Atmos Sucks

I do get tired of the Straw man argument that the musicians will be around you and the drums will be floating overhead and ... As an avid multichannel fan, most recordings have the instruments in the normal locations albeit perhaps a wider soundstage and lead vocals coming from the center...
  8. P

three-way speaker conversion to four-way active

FWIW these appear to be a highly modified JBL Ti 6k speakers (https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649852919-jbl-ti-6k-speakers/) with a different midrange and tweeter mounted on a wood plate over the existing holes. Also apparently a 10 inch woofer is substituting for the 8 inch woofer. The...
  9. P

Yamaha R-S202 Receiver Review

As an old school analog guy, I appreciate the bass control centered on 50 hz which gives an extended bass for most bookshelf speakers rather than the more common 100 hz which simply makes them more boomy. Also the bass and treble controls are on the front, what no menus to navigate through! I'd...
  10. P

KEF R6 meta Measurements and Review

The 4 ohm setting on the Denon is actually CURRENT LIMITING to protect the amp from overheating. https://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/connecting-4-ohm-speakers-to-an-8-ohm-receiver-or-amplifier NOTE: Some Receivers have an impedance selector switch. In most cases we recommend the...
  11. P

Sun Audio Purified 4

The response curve looks smoothed to me , which while not necessarily it would be nice to know what degree of smoothing was used.
  12. P

JBL Conceal C62 Invisible Speaker Review

I'm not quite understanding. There have been some decent products coming out of the Harman groups. Perusing Amir's speaker ratings, a fairly objective measure, I found 12 out of 60 speakers (20% or 1 out of 5) in the top rankings. I don't really dispute that there has been some slippage in...
  13. P

Please sell me on "ruler flat" near field monitors.

I understand your point in re audiophile, but to continue this OT discussion, what would be a better one word description of people who have systems that cost more than bare bones and have a science based understanding of music reproduction?
  14. P

I'll admit it was a bit of a rant, but I've come across many 'remastered' recordings where it appeared that the primary work had been to bring up instruments buried in the mix to the point that all instruments were audible, but that all dynamic contrasts were lost. There's also a bit of fun...
  15. P

Or you bring up the volume of EVERY instrument and voila you have a new and improved mix that will sound great on your Bluetooth speaker and horrible on your high end system. That IMO is why the loudness wars continue. Apologies for OT comment.
  16. P

Polk ES60 Tower Speaker Review

My sense of the speaker (unheard) is that it's fixable with either a treble tone control cut and/or listening off axis with possibly a foam insert in the port to reduce the 500 hz resonance. You'd likely need a sub if you did the port insert. My personal experience (which is admittedly with...
  17. P

Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 V2 - Review & Measurements by Erin

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 V2 Price: 500 Tonality: 6.7 w/eq 6.9 w/sub 8.7 w/eq + sub 8.6 Bass extension: 41Hz Flatness: ±2.7dB KEF LS50 Meta Price: 500 Tonality: 5.9 w/eq 6.5 w/sub 8.0 w/eq + sub 8.5 Bass extension: 45Hz Flatness: ±2.9dB Some extra info which brings the scores closer together...
  18. P

Best centre speaker for Polk reserve system… currently have an r300 but would like to upgrade

I wouldn't worry about a different brand centre. The Room EQ, whether Audysssey or Dirac, on the Marantz will minimize the differences between the center and the rest of the speakers. Notwithstanding you should try to get some kind of return ability if you don't like the different center.
  19. P

D.A.S. Monitor 8 speaker, is it good?

I'm a little skeptical of matching the directivity of an 8 inch woofer with a 1 inch tweeter even with a waveguide and sure enough there's a big kink in the directivity between 4 Khz and 15 Khz centered on 8 Khz. This may not be a big problem used nearfield, but is more significant midfield. On...
  20. P

SACD/DSD: Passive speakers vs Active Studio Monitors for 5.1 multichannel SACD playback.

The problem from DAY 1 has always been that while it is reasonable, if a little more difficult to used powered monitors in a 2 channel system; 3 power cords and 2 interconnect cables instead of one power cord and 2 interconnect cables, it gets fairly crazy in a 5.1 channel and insane in an Atmos...
Top Bottom