Search results

1. U

HD800s Powered by Apple M1 MBP...What am I losing by not using a more powerful amp?

I've been experimenting with my DX3 Pro + and my Apple M1 14" MBP. I've used a decibel meter to attempt to match volume. I can't really hear a difference. Am I losing detail or something by using the computer only?
  2. U

Recommendation for IEM Under $200 with good Isolation?

I am looking for an IEM with good isolation that I can use for listening to EDM music and for editing audio. They will plug directly into my computer or phone. I used to have the SE535 LTDs which I liked I also liked the SE846. How are the new Chinese IEMs. It seems like the whole landscape...
  3. U

Best headphones for passive noise canceling?

Who makes the best passive noise canceling headphones? I've had all of the major active noise canceling headphones and I don't find them to be comfortable for very long. I am wondering if there are good passive option. Over ear is preferred but in ear would be fine too if they are easy to put...
  4. U

Best Build Quality? Topping vs SMSL vs FiiO vs Sabaj?

I am curious which brand has the best quality? I've only had a handful of items from SMSL and Topping and honestly none were great fit and finish wise but they sounded good to me and for the price point I can hardly complain. It does worry me that Topping makes so many different similar...
  5. U

What makes a High-End Amp Better Than a Sub-$500 Chinese Amp?

It is hard to understand how much a headphone amp / dac matters. There $10k+ headphone amps but why would an expensive amp make sense when a $200 passes all the "objective" tests? I can't really understand it. Do the new Chinese amp's near perfection make them sound bad? I know that when...
  6. U

One Box DAC / Amp/ Audio Interface for HD800s?

I just ordered a pair of the HD800s. (Adorama had them for $1200). My source is going to be my computer so I should be able to EQ them. Ideally I would like one box to do everything for me: DAC, AMP, Audio Interface. Would a Motu M2/M4 be enough? I could also pair the Motu with my Dragon Fly...
  7. U

Audio Interface with an Excellent Headphone Amp/DAC?

I want an audio interface to supply 48v phantom power to a microphone but I would also like to be able to replace my Topping EX5 heaphone amp. I have HD650s and the amp on the Audient ID4 is noticeably worse.
  8. U

Power Amp for use with Wilson Sabrinas on $3k Budget

I want to buy a new amp to replace an Anthem MCA50 I have been using with my Wilson Audio Sabrinas. My budget is 3k. I need something that has an auto on/off feature. What would you recommend? I am not sure I need an integrated amplifier. I currently run the MCA50 off of a Sonos Port. The...
  9. U

Headphone Amp and Dac Recommendation with HD650

My Topping L30 died and I am wondering what I should buy next. I was using the L30 with a Dragonfly Red and my computer as a source. I've been looking at the D30 Pro / A30 Pro combo and the EX5. I don't know if I can hear a difference between DACs. Would the A30 Pro and Dragonfly Red be worse...
  10. U

Would the DAC on a high-end CD Player from the '00s be really bad?

I am interested in an older CD player from Mark Levinson. The model is 390s and it is in great condition. My friend said I could have it for $400. On that auction site I have seen broken ones sell for over $1k. I only want to buy it if it is worth using. If I can spend $400 on a more recent CD...
  11. U

Recommended Phono Preamp for Pro-Ject VT-E up to $500?

I want to try vinyl again I have limited space and the Pro-Ject VT-E is great for that. Initially I am going to be using the Pro-ject with my Ruper Neves Precision HP Amp and Sennheiser HD6XX and then will likely want to use it with my Wilson Audio Sabrinas. Would something like a Pro-Ject Tube...
  12. U

Compact Audio System To Drive Wilson Sabrina Speakers?

Hello, I currently use Wilson Audio Sabrinas in my study. They are powered by an Amp in an AV Rack and mostly play off of Sonos. I would like to have an amp locally in my study as well as a record player. Ideally I would like to get as compact of a system as possible. What would recommend...
  13. U

Settings for Tidal HiFi and Amazon Music HD on OSX?

I am wondering how to get the best out of my equipment. I have a SMSL SU-8 and I want to know what Tidal HiFi and Amazon HD settings I need to get the most out my equipment. Also for OSX there is the Audio Midi Setup. Should I set the SMSL SU- to "768,000 Hz 2 Ch 32-bit Integer"?
  14. U

Is Tidal HiFi Worth It and What Sort Of DAC Should You Use?

I am trying to figure out what DAC I need and if I should continue to use Tidal HiFi. Tidal Premium sounds great to me. I know Tidal HiFi has two additional higher sound quality options over Premium. There is MQA which requires a specific decoder, but then there is HiFi. Does HiFi require a...
  15. U

Best way to connect amp to dac to computer?

I am completely new to quasi-audiophile headphones. The component train I have is iMac-->USB-->Topping D50--RCA-->3.5mm-->Rupert Neve RNHP-->Sennheiser HD650. The RNHP has RAC and Balanced XLR connections in addition to the 3.5mm. Rupert Neve lists these input levels: Maximum Input Levels...
Top Bottom