Search results

1. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Yes. I understand. Sorry there was not more help for you in a directly applicable thread. I have done several NC400s, mono and stereo, in Ghent cases. ;) Do you feel confident to proceed with building yours now?
  2. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

This is a Purifi amp thread. You are asking about a Hypex project. You might get better help in a different thread. Meanwhile, I believe Hypex uses Ghent cases in their kits (at least similar enough to learn from their instructions). Take a look at how they show their connections...
  3. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Maybe. That would depend on the details of the amp you choose. One obvious difference could be the input sensitivity - the voltage required to get full power out. However, unless you are choosing something with significantly lower input sensitivity than your EVAL1, and have a source that...
  4. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Look here also: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/can-an-amateur-diy-a-purifi-monoblock-or-3-channel.17940/#post-583271
  5. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

You could build an EVAL2 (Ghent has a matching case), or make another EVAL1. For 12V trigger, I settled on a triggered outlet box that switches two plugs. Just plug both amps into it and add trigger cable from your source to the switch box. Here is the one I used in my country...
  6. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

A better match for max power capabilities between modules and PSU - effectively, you'd have 4 stereo amps, packaged however makes most sense for you.
  7. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Better might be four SMPS1200A400, with two modules fed by each.
  8. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Sorry, but the performance difference between a 3.2V and 4.0V rating is not enough to make me want to do the calculation for you. I recommend doing the 4.0V mod if you must - that gives you a somewhat "standard" unit. But you can do the calculation for 3.2V using the manufacturer's gain...
  9. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

I'm not really sure what you and your friend are comparing. You CANNOT make ANY judgements about sound quality unless the volume levels in both cases are well matched - precisely. Of course, you will need the volume setting on your source to be higher to get the same output from a lower gain...
  10. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

You could make the change to 4V input range, but I wouldn't go more since the MRX540/740 curves show that its best performance is between 2-4 V, not higher. Really, you could just as well keep the stock EVAL1 values (2V input range) and have essentially optimum performance. Performance of the...
  11. J

Purifi / Triple Eval2 DIY power supply choice?

Nice, but no. I meant your Purifi amp page: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/purifi-triple-eval2-diy-power-supply-choice.19304/#post-687638
  12. J

How's your build-an-amp page coming, Tom?
  13. J

Has the added PSU solved your bass distortion problem?
  14. J

Can you tell us how you connected the modules and power supplies for 5 channels per speaker? I have Orion 3.2 and am now down to three amps per channel (paralleled tweeters and the midrange on an Benchmark AHB2 and woofers paralleled with a monoblock Hypex NC400, so two AHB2s and two NC400s).
  15. J

VTV Purifi 1ET400A updates

Sorry - I don't understand this. Please explain more.
  16. J

VTV Purifi 1ET400A updates

Yes. Or No. It would depend on the particular pieces of equipment and your expectations. I run three channels from my Denon AVR (unbalanced) to three channels of Purifi (balanced) with the standard Purifi input buffer gain. I have sufficient volume
  17. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Why note use the commonly available power supplies, and use a lower input buffer gain? How many channels would you want in one box?
  18. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

You first asked about SMPS standby versus EVAL1 standby. I guess the question is what you are really trying to achieve. You have three levels available: 1. If you just want to 'mute' the amp, then yes, it is relatively easy to use the nAMPON feature; 2. If it is to save power and heat, that is...
  19. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

I think there is no simple answer to this, unless you intercept the MAINS cable and truly turn power off (like your back panel switch does). Otherwise, you can only put the system in a Standby state. And for that, you want to put the SMPS into Standby. And that requires a pull-up voltage...
  20. J

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Yes. Yes. Yes.
Top Bottom