Search results

1. Y

Suggestion: more audio interface measurements

I agree, there are plenty other brands and models not tested (Native Instruments, M Audio, Steinberg...), and many of those that were tested are of outdated versions (MK 1 vs MK 2), which warrant measurements in the same way that e.g. new SMSL models get renewed attention. Of course Amir is in...
  2. Y

Suggestion: more audio interface measurements

I've been following this website for a long time, and it is my humble and personal opinion that we kind of reached a saturation in terms of DAC and HP amp measurements. I think that for quite some time now, ever since say the Topping D50s, we reached a point where anyone that can spend about...
  3. Y

Balanced preamp to unbalanced poweramp - any risks?

I have a guitar multi-effects and amp modeler (Quad Cortex), which I use with my studio monitors (i.e. guitar -> QC -> powered studio monitors) However, I wanted to try to play in my living room, which means using my "hifi" speakers. The output of the QC is balanced (with a preamp), the power...
  4. Y

AutoEQ Magic?

What should I do if I want to generate EQ filters for the actual Harman target using your tool? In principle, that should more or less reproduce Oratory's results, right?
  5. Y

Headphone Measurements Using Brüel & Kjær 5128 HATS

Perhaps a noob question, but why is a head simulator such as this (compared e.g. to solduerdude's setup) even necessary? Isn't it possible to simply use this or EARS or whatever to measure a speaker with flat response as measured by an omni mic and normalize the response to it? I understand...
  6. Y

EQ on Linux: problems with Pulse Effects

Thank you both for the suggestions. What does it mean to run bare ALSA? Also, how do I prevent conflict between jack and pulseaudio? I tried setting up jack but it appears to be not such a trivial task...
  7. Y

EQ on Linux: problems with Pulse Effects

I have a problem with Pulse Effects: it seems that it produces incorrect eq, at least on my system. The full details are below. The short version: 1. I used REW to EQ my monitors, but the speakers sound different on Solus Budgie w/ PE compared to Win 10 w/ Equalizer APO (same PC, dual boot)...
  8. Y

Help with a 2.1 setup configuration

An interesting point, although I'm not sure I do have room for two, as the intended room is not that big and already hosts some musical instruments including 2 guitar amps competing for real estate. I also didn't read enough into the huge discussion I know exists for the comparison of two subs...
  9. Y

Ah, makes sense, thanks for the explanation! In comparison to the rest of the 3 series from JBL, I didn't hear many great reviews about the 310s, although it is on my list to audtion for quite some time. Once things clear a little with the coronavirus, I will try it out. I guess that without a...
  10. Y

What do you mean by proper crossover? Or, what is active crossover, as adw mentioned? The L12 has a crossover setting; do you mean a dedicated crossover device/feature in a receiver?
  11. Y

Currently, on the 305's only, it has plenty of headroom: with the 305's gain set to ~5/10, I only make about a third of a turn on the Atom to reach satisfying volume (d50s maxed). Hope that's going to be enough!
  12. Y

Of course, this is what I am already doing. Thanks for the answer, Y connector was what I thought I needed to do, but wasn't sure if I should expect problems that I haven't thought of, having never owned a sub (e.g. impdance issues etc).
  13. Y

I'm still a bit confused regarding my original question: how am I to connect the system? The Atom is a preamp (+ HP amp), not a power amp. Both the LSR305 and the L12 are active. However, I have only two RCA outs, but the above 2.1 would require 2x(L+R) ins. So - is the way to do it is with a...
  14. Y

Thanks for your reply! The Atom indeed controls both headphone and RCA outs. What do you mean by active crossover? And does splitting the preamp out amounts to a simple Y connector? In that case, will the volume knob of the Atom increase the volume of the speakers and the subwoofer by different...
  15. Y

I currently use a pair of JBL LSR305 conneceted to a d50s+Atom on my working desk. I'd like to add a subwoofer, and was considering the (recently reviewed) Rythmik L12. Two questions: 1. Would it be a suitable choice for a roughly 3 x 3.5 m^2 (10 x 11.5 ft^2) room? 2. What is the proper way to...
  16. Y

SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II DAC Review

Both here and in the E30 the plot says it's being done with 48kHz sampling rate (unless it's a typo in plots). Is it clear that only the ultrasonics are responsible for the relatively high numbers in both products? If so, can I somehow see/calculate it from this or other graphs?
  17. Y

Topping E30 DAC Review

I'm a little puzzled by the THD+N vs frequency: in most if not all cases (I encountered at least) where ultrasonic noise causes deterioration in this plot, it is frequency dependent (e.g. KTB, Topping d50s), causing the graph to slope at high frequencies. Why only here it is frequency...
  18. Y

Ciúnas DAC USB DAC Review

May I ask why the attenuation of frequencies beyond ~22kHz is at all important?
  19. Y

DAC + power amp vs receiver at ~500$

I don't know, that's why I'm asking how to connect these - this is my first set of speakers that's not some Logitech connected to PC via USB or aux or whatever. If this is standard I will just Google it, I was confused because I thought it might be something similar to bi-amping that I read...
  20. Y

DAC + power amp vs receiver at ~500$

I'm now trying to decide between the SMSL A8 and the PA-S125NC + d50s combo. The latter seems a slightly better performer and has the required inputs, while the former has the conveniece of a single unit (up to bluetooth connectivity which will require an extra unit) and slightly better looks...
Top Bottom