Search results

1. thanhh

March Audio Sointuva Speaker

It's the same as Revel Salon 2 warranty. I don't see any problem with this. https://www.revelspeakers.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-masterCatalog_Harman/default/dw0e982deb/pdfs/Revel_OM_Salon2_Studio2.pdf
  2. thanhh

Apollon Hypex NC2K Amplifier Teardown

I think it comes down to mindset of consumers 20 years ago and now. Older generations would buy somethings that lasted for a lifetime, they didn’t mind paying a bit extra for quality. Younger generation, they are willing to pay nearly $2000 for an iPhone that will need replacing next 1 year or...
  3. thanhh

Magnepan LRS Speaker Review

Like I said, most speakers have trade-offs. Metal wouldn’t sound great on small bookshelf speakers either. Maybe this speaker is not for you but mocking owners of certain products is not nice, I think. I like both of my speakers and would buy a full range Revel in the next upgrade but I think I...
  4. thanhh

Well, maybe I misunderstand it but “I've rarely seen/read a Magnepan owner who wasn't listening to his speaker instead of music through it.” sounds like you meant all the Maggies are like that. Most speakers have trade-offs, treat Maggies (smaller models) as a bookshelf speakers, use subs to...
  5. thanhh

You use 1 measurement of the smallest and cheapest Magnepan to generalise the whole range. Like my post above, my very old MG12/QR frequency response (no EQ) is no worse that any other speakers in the price range.
  6. thanhh

I've been using Magnepan MG12/QR which is not much bigger than the LRS, but my in room measurement doesn't look as bad as Amirm. Below is REW measurement with 1/24 smoothing of the Maggies and my Kef Q950 side by side (no EQ). I crossover both speakers at 80Hz and run them with REL T5i. After...
  7. thanhh

How much amplifier noise floor is normal?- and Crown XLS 1502 questions

Hi, I am using the same amp with 2 pairs of speakers - Kef Q950 and Maggies MG12/QR. When I 1st got the amp, I sorta had the same "issue". When connect to the Maggies it's dead quite but when I connect to the Kef, I heard hissing from the tweeter. I was advised by the store I bought it from that...
  8. thanhh

March Audio P452 Purifi Based Stereo Power Amplifier

They are gorgeus but last I checked, they fetch around $3000 aud each on eBay and good luck finding them Money per wattage + performance, I think it is very hard to beat these new purifi based amps.
  9. thanhh

Need help with room eq

Thanks guys for wonderful advices, I did a quick RTA measurement using moving mic technique as showed above and confirmed that no dips visible at HF. Since this my 1st try at this, I will have to play around with filters to find what sounds best but so far I’m very happ with the results. Thanks...
  10. thanhh

Need help with room eq

Hi, I’ve just done my speakers eq using REW and rePhase. The filters then being run by brutefir on Rapserry pi 4 Volumio. When using Volumio to check the eq results, the left and right speakers seem right where they need to be. But when I measure both of them together, I have a huge dip around...
  11. thanhh

Magnepan .7s Tube Amp? SS?

I think it's very hard to find anything class AB with the same cost as class D if they have similar specs. If you have the budget, you cannot go wrong with the Benchmark AHB mentioned above. Otherwise, have a look at those Hypex and Purifi class D amps that were measured by Amir
  12. thanhh

IMO, any amps that are measured good and got enough grunt to dive a certain speaker will sound the same (i.e. transparent) To put in perspective regarding class D, the Maggies distributor here in Australia set up his system for Hifi show this year using class D and he recommends it for Maggies...
  13. thanhh

Hi, I happen to have the MG12 QR (older version, similar size to the 0.7) driven by both tube and SS. This is my impression: Primaluna prologue classic (KT88 - 40W): it can drive the Maggies reasonably loud, I had the volume pot at 2 o'clock position and get average 85Db seating 2.5m away from...
  14. thanhh

How autoformers work?

Thanks so much @restorer-john for the information. It's just the Sony has been having this weird problem lately. 1 channel gets quieter the more I turn up the volume. At 12 o'clock volume, 2 channels sound the same, but at 4 o'clock volume, I have to turn the balance pot to 2 o'clock to get the...
  15. thanhh

How autoformers work?

I tried the Yamaha amp with the Maggies and it sounds dull and flat (not in FR but almost like no sound stage). It sounds worse than the Maggies on my 30W Cayin tube amp. I asked the previous owner who is a retired tube amp tech, he told me that he found the Yamaha got a weird impedance...
  16. thanhh

How autoformers work?

Thanks @Blumlein 88 I have an Yamaha CA 810. To me it sounds just as good as my other vintage Sony TA F555ESX (Japanese version of F800ES). The only thing is it’s not recommended for 4ohm speakers. Both my Maggies and Kef are recommended to use with 4ohm amps. I just like the Yamaha better...
  17. thanhh

How autoformers work?

I have a few vintage amps that rated for 8 and 6Ohm only. So I think I cannot use it with my Maggies. EDIT: I also want to know if I can use them on my Kef Q900 as well.
  18. thanhh

How autoformers work?

Hi, I don't think they said that autoformers sounded good. Sorry I didn't make it clear. It's just veryone being impressed with Bill's setup and some didn't even know the autoformers were there. That's why I'm curious to know if the autoformers had any roles in it. Also. I don't think Bill used...
  19. thanhh

How autoformers work?

Thanks @RayDunzl :) Do they only work with low impendance speakers or it doesn't matter? It sounds like a good companion for my Maggies to run on couple of vintage amplifiers that I have.
  20. thanhh

How autoformers work?

I read through the post and not much clear explanation on how it affects the sound. Some said it's ok for low impedance speakers only. I'm just curious why lots of people were impressed with that setup regarding sound while most of them didn't know autoformers being used.
Top Bottom