Search results

1. pos

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Has there been any report of catastrophic failures (like 0dB volume, DC, loud pops, etc.) with the DM7?
  2. pos

Upsampling 16/44.1 collection a good idea?

Your minidsp will resample to “his” 96kHz anyway, this cannot be avoided.
  3. pos

IEM 2-pin Cable Replacement (polarity confusion)

Both channels of a pair of headphones (be it over or in ear) *definitly* need to have the same polarity.
  4. pos

Question about rePhase

That is a weird issue for sure. Have you tried other storage devices (flash drive, RAM disk, etc.)? Just in case: to reinstall rephase you first need to wipe out its files in the temp directory. Look for a directory starting with "par-" and delete it before running rephase again.
  5. pos

Question about rePhase

Is the file larger than 10MB?
  6. pos

Parametric EQ filters for A-weighting

Yes, Pro Q3 does a very good job at decramping, but uses the strange convention of Q=1 instead of 0.707 for Butterworth filters.
  7. pos

Parametric EQ filters for A-weighting

Here is the set of filters I have made for one of my plugins: gain +2dB high pass 18Hz Q=0.4 high pass 270Hz Q=0.32 low pass 12kHz Q=0.5 The resulting curve (in red, over) is ±0.3dB compared to the 1/3 octave reference table (in blue, under). This should be enough to get SPL readings to your...
  8. pos

Ask me questions.

@JohnYang1997 Things can be made to handle worst case scenarios, like having conservative default volume settings so that a reset of user settings (due to a firmware bug or an hardware failure) does not lead to a catastrophic failure of both the drivers (earphones, loudspeakers) and the driven...
  9. pos

Ask me questions.

@JohnYang1997, regarding my first question, what is the factory default volume setting? Is it 0dB, or -Inf dB, or something like -60dB maybe? I ask this question because this is the volume the amp might revert to if it does loose (or fail to load) its user settings.
  10. pos

Ask me questions.

Hi @JohnYang1997, Thank you for taking the time to answer questions here! Two questions if I may, sorry if these were already addressed. Has there been a shift in focus towards reliability and durability over pure measured performance now that (1) good (enough) performance is now a given for...
  11. pos

Desk speaker decoupling

Sylomer is the perfect material if you get the right surface for the weight of you speakers, much better than foam. It does isolate a lot above its resonant frequency, and also has a good loss factor (especially the yellow SR11 variant)...
  12. pos

The quest for my hyper speaker - Very Large room dilemma

I concur: I had the opportunity to hear an Acheron Designer system installed by @jlo in a cinema post production room a few years ago. It was really coherent and impressive, especially in the LF range, tactile yet very musical and pleasant.
  13. pos

New S.M.S.L. M300 SE 120$

Interesting unit for sure! This is tempting! I don’t recall reading any report of smsl units doing crazy things like forgetting volume control settings and such, and my good old pair of m8 have been flawless and well behaved fir many years now in my active system (no volume control tho...)...
  14. pos

The quest for my hyper speaker - Very Large room dilemma

@aliqaz, in your situation you should probably follow @Mr. Widget's advice and try renting a few PA systems. This would let you determine exactly what SPL/bandwidth you need to shoot for, and also try different directivity setups, all that backed up with (generally) accurate specifications and...
  15. pos

MOTU UltraLite-mk5 Review (Audio Interface)

You don’t need that much gain with a condenser mic. Your mic has a sensitivity of -28dBV/Pa, compared to for example -59dBV/Pa for an sm7b. That is a whopping 30dB difference.
  16. pos

Any way to create a filter which can never clip during the convolution step?

Why not simply import REW's automated correction into an EQ bank in rephase? There is a rephase EQ format in REW for that purpose.
  17. pos

Arendal 1961 Center/Monitor Speaker Review

On the contrary I think Arendal's implementation is very sound. Even without an additional high pass filter you still have to take the natural roll-off of the speaker (bass alignment) into account when building a crossover to a sub. It is 12db/oct (sealed) or 24dB/oct (BR) of high pass...
  18. pos

Any way to create a filter which can never clip during the convolution step?

Hi there! Filter clipping is an interesting topic, and one with many layers to consider, most of which have already been addressed in a way or another in this thread. First off, let me stress the fact that IIR is no different than FIR in this regard: implementing the same minimum-phase...
  19. pos

MOTU UltraLite-mk5 Review (Audio Interface)

A question for ultralite Mk5 users: can the device be operated in standalone mode through its ADAT ports? I read that Mk3 could, but needed to be configured via USB each time it was powered-on, which somewhat defeats the purpose... The manual for the Mk5 mentions standalone operation, but I...
  20. pos

Amp upgrade for JBL M2 (would be submitted for testing)

Thanks for the kind words @DubbyMcDubs :) That amount of taps at 96kHz will not cut it unfortunately, so you would have to use the IIR/biquad section. The Flex 8 does have a single stereo FIR section in front of the crossovers (contrary to the Flex 4), so that could be used to linearize the...
Top Bottom