Search results

1. Fluffy

One player to rule them all - A record player that can play CDs

Is it a turntable? Is it a CD transport? Yes! It's everything you'll ever need. The digital-analog war can finally be over:
  2. Fluffy

Is there a plan to measure the THX AAA ONE?

I think it hadn't officially come out yet, but maybe Drop is willing to send a prototype for review? THX amplifier at 200$ is very interesting. @amirm ?
  3. Fluffy

Cheap and good dac/pre-amp for powered monitors?

I'm having trouble finding this type of product – a dac that can function as a pre-amp (basically volume control) for powered speakers, that have balanced outputs. For say, monitors like the YAMAHA HS5. Most devices that contain those functions also come with audio inputs and a built in...
  4. Fluffy

Can we agree headphone amplifiers are solved?

Recently there has been multiple headphones amps challenging the THX AAA 789 for top notch performance, some surpassing it, and at lower prices. It seems that many different companies had figured out how to make completely transparent headphone amps even without THX circuitry. Maybe it's time to...
  5. Fluffy

Is having a good home theater system impacts your movie watching choices?

Everyone knows the phenomenon of "audiophile music" – music that is tailor made to sound really good on expansive systems, usually with insane dynamic range, acoustic instruments, and female voices. You can hear this kind of music almost exclusively in audio shows. And there are also audiophiles...
  6. Fluffy

What happened to Innerfidelity? (automatically diverts to stereophile)

www.innerfidelity.com and any other URL under that domain diverts automatically to Sterophile homepage. Anybody knows what's up?
  7. Fluffy

Has the industry settled on affordable hi-fi costing 99$?

I see a lot of personal audio electronics, such as desktop DACs and headphone amps, costing 99$ at the bottom end. There is enough variation between products that it's hard to believe that they all happen to have calculated the same optimal price for their profitability. I have the feeling the...
  8. Fluffy

Studies on plasma speakers?

Plasma tweeters look super exotic, and probably very expansive. I wonder what measurable advantages do they offer? And what companies manufacture them and\or incorporate them in their speakers?
  9. Fluffy

Speakers with low distortion at high SPL

What speakers demonstrate low harmonic distortion at high DB SPL? By high I mean something like the 96 DB that amir uses, that usually leads to worse performance due to woofer break up and other phenomena. What characteristics should a speaker have to play cleanly at high SPLs? Large woofers? A...
  10. Fluffy

HDMI myths

Please help me spot all the myths and misconceptions in this video, regarding HDMI: Starting with the fact that he contradicts himself by first saying that HDMI is a digital cable that doesn't suffer from problems associated with analog signals ("either it works of it doesn't"), and then go...
  11. Fluffy

How to convert between harmonic distortions and compression parameters?

As I understand it, the effect of compression can be translated to adding odd order harmonics. Therefore, I wonder if it's possible to convert back. Meaning, taking a harmonic distortion profile, and using the relative strength of the harmonics to reconstruct what compression parameters can lead...
  12. Fluffy

Measurements of Bluetooth sound quality?

Bluetooth as a subject is very confusing, and from all the protocols and features it's hard to understand its actual effects on sound quality. Are there measurements (thd+n, sinad, FR, imd, etc.) of different Bluetooth applications that show what is the end result of whatever it's doing?
  13. Fluffy

Crossfeed for headphones

I've been experimenting lately with crossfeed with my headphones. The main issue I'm trying to resolve is avoiding sounds that are hard panned to one side. In headphones it sounds unnatural and irritating because it's isolated to only one ear. Of course, in speakers there is some leakage to the...
  14. Fluffy

Problem with Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd gen)

I'm having a little issue with my 2i2 that I don't know what causes it. any help will be appreciated. Just note in advance that I'm not currently interested in replacing the unit with something else, just solving the issue if possible. The interface is about 3 years old and works perfectly fine...
  15. Fluffy

A response to "Grinding your own gears" by John H. Darko

I stumbled upon this imaginary conversation that was written by a self-declared subjectivist, as he tries to argue with an objectivist about why he believes there is a difference in sound between USB cables. The answers he gives to this imaginary friend are pretty awkward, and the friend itself...
  16. Fluffy

ASMR Survey - pleasant or awful?

I wonder if there is any connection between liking ASMR sounds/videos and being an audiophile. I know this is a very divisive thing, with some people feeling absolute bliss listening to it, while others prefer to have their eardrums pierced (I'm in the second group). Please answer the pole, and...
  17. Fluffy

Is the hype around SVS subwoofers justified?

I've heard a lot of hype towards subs by SVS. What is it about their subwoofers that makes them stand out? Or is it a myth?
  18. Fluffy

Chuck Norris audio facts

Chuck Norris can hear 0.0000% THD. Chuck Norris made an analog system that sounds digital. Chuck Norris uses bridge suspension cables for speaker wires. Continue!
Top Bottom