Search results

1. T

NAD T778 Audio/Video Receiver (AVR) Review

It was to make any amp sound like any amp, though he did so by taking measurements and engineering a circuit with various knobs and switches that allowed him to adjust the distortion and frequency response in various ways. He didn't say all amps sound the same, only that you can make a cheap...
  2. T

That's what I meant. It distinguishes between (amp + speaker) and (room) effects. But it can't distinguish between amp and speaker.
  3. T

@amirm Did the frequency response problem exist just for the analog input, or also for digital inputs?
  4. T

Well, the point of my question was that actually, if it only happens to the analog inputs and not the digital, then it won't correct it, because the test tones it plays (digitally) won't have the problem. So again, does the FR issue apply to digital as well, or just analog? In the latter case...
  5. T

Amp vs. speaker is correct, but Dirac requires you to take nine different measurements in different locations, precisely so that it can distinguish between amp/speaker and room effects. Question: the frequency response issue is with analog input only, correct? It wouldn't affect digital or HDMI...
  6. T

I see what you're saying, it's just that I see two opinions often expressed on this forum that seem to be contradictory: 1. Pretty much all DACs and amps sound the same, because distortion under -60 dB is nearly impossible to hear. 2. DACs or amps with better numbers are better products. Why...
  7. T

Am I the only one who thinks this isn't that bad? I mean come on guys, 80 dB SINAD is not going to be audible. The ADC frequency response is problematic, but I imagine very few people buy a surround receiver to use the stereo analog inputs. Based on the measurements, withHDMI / streaming this...
  8. T

Beta Test: DISTORT - audibility of distortions

I think you're taking it a bit too literally. To say that 10 dB is approximately twice as loud according to the average person at a typical volume is not "utterly meaningless."
  9. T

Beta Test: DISTORT - audibility of distortions

This test asks people if they could hear a difference, but it doesn't test if they can. I think what amir would like to see is to require someone to ABX the highest and lowest distortion samples a few times before starting the test. And if they can't do it, throw out their data, or simply...
  10. T

Nobsound 3-IN-1-OUT XLR Audio Switch Review

Yeah but I want one with 1 female and 3 male XLR jacks.
  11. T

Nobsound 3-IN-1-OUT XLR Audio Switch Review

Does anyone know where I could find the 1-in-3-out version of this switch? On Amazon it says shipping will take several months.
  12. T

Does sample rate conversion affect sound quality?

Any idea why I can hear obvious resampling artifacts on my Windows 10 PC when playing a 48 kHz sweep with the mixer set to 44.1 kHz (or vice versa)? Steps to reproduce: 1. Open Windows mixer settings, set to 24 bit, 44.1 kHz. 2. Open REW, set sample rate to 48 kHz. 3. Play a sweep from 10...
  13. T

Theoretical soures of amplifier distortion

Oh I know the actual measurements posted use the same noise. I was just pointing out that two signals with a high DF can sound the same. Audibility would depend on the content of the difference, not just its RMS volume. For another example, I just used the posted nulling utility to subtract a...
  14. T

The sound quality of DSD?

If DSD is better quality then why do audiophiles prefer R2R DACs, which look like PCM internally, as opposed to the sigma-delta DACs that look like DSD internally? My Samsung phone has a function that does this. You turn on "bandwidth upscaling" in the sound settings and it brings the sample...
  15. T

So you claim to have found empirical evidence that there is a difference between how the amplifiers handle music, and how the amplifiers handle discrete tones. You have found a violation of the superposition principle (a nonlinearity, in other words), different from the one we already know about...
  16. T

I'm not sure if the algorithm is measuring audio degradation, or simply entropy. As an example: generate two random samples of white noise. The difference between them will be super high according to this measurement, but they will sound identical. Whatever this technique is measuring, it's...
  17. T

Okay, I skimmed through it and I have to say, my initial thought (if the measurements are accurate) is that most of the reported "Df" for complex signals is coming from error in the nulling algorithm that compares the two signals, which would naturally get larger as the signal got more complex...
  18. T

This is basically what I'm asking. Linear systems follow the superposition principle, meaning the total output is the sum of the output for each of the input's frequency components. I.e. total music or individual tones doesn't matter. We know that THD and IMD violate this, which is why we have...
  19. T

Okay, I'm starting to remember now. We bias the components to get them into a region of those curves that looks reasonably linear, then apply feedback to further "flatten" the curve at the expense of gain.
  20. T

I mean, are there any examples where someone has done those calculations for common amplifier circuits. Maybe comparing a tube stage to a solid-state stage and examining the differences in the theoretical distortion terms. I know it won't match specific implementations. What I'm looking for...
Top Bottom