Search results

1. BillH

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

Frank Zappa and Vic chesnutt https://www.npr.org/2008/06/05/91190732/vic-chesnutt-tiny-desk-concert
  2. BillH

Help finding job for Computational Physics PHD Candidate

A few suggestions. If he’s a US citizen, defense contractors or DOD Labs or where I work, MIT Lincoln Laboratory. JHU Applied Physics Lab is another option similar to these. Other options are DOE labs. Another prime pathway for computational physicists is to do risk analysis for financial...
  3. BillH

Audio Engineering Society Paper and Help?

I think a review paper may be the best approach. Typically a review paper reviews the original research while citing modern day, state of the art examples. In your case, you would cite all the relevant research on acoustics and then present the measurements of a good speaker example. In...
  4. BillH

What speakers are these?

My observations The front speakers are above ear level The front speakers appear to have twitter woofer woofer tweeter - essentially a center channel speaker on end Seems to me it is style over substance
  5. BillH

Recommendations for Mid-20th Century and later classical composers

I’m not a pure classical music person but some things i like are Steve Reich You might look at the composers played by Kronos quartet or eighth blackbird Added edit - npr has a tiny desk concert of eighth blackbird that is nice I love Charles Mingus epitaph
  6. BillH

TAD Evolution 2 Speaker Review

I almost posted yesterday when I first saw this review. The directivity curve is pretty unique. Not only are there no dips but the slope is nearly constant throughout the frequency band. I think if one peruses the top tier speakers this one looks good looking only at this metric. My...
  7. BillH

Binoculars are confusing without experience.

I’m an avid backyard birder. A few years ago I asked for the Nikon monarch 8x42 after researching options. I believe the Cornell ornithology website or mass Audubon have recommendations. As previously mentioned, >8x is subject to jitter. Aperture size mostly depends on how much your willing to...
  8. BillH

Swan Hivi X3 Review (Active Monitors)

Looking at their website it appears they have multiple lines of speakers. It would be interesting to see one of their higher end products tested Thanks for the review
  9. BillH

Playing for Change Open Thread - "When the Levee Breaks" is the latest from this great music source.

Thank you for sharing this. I appreciated the exposure to the variety of musicians and thought they did a great job. As a follow up I visited their site - I applaud them for their efforts. Thanks again
  10. BillH

Is this tilted ceiling bad?

I haven’t, mostly because it would block the window that provides the majority of natural sunlight in the room. At this point it would also require a new sectional sofa to work. I’ve found a “not horrible” placement. However I dream of a dozen or more 2x3 absorbing tiles all the time.
  11. BillH

Is this tilted ceiling bad?

I believe I have the same room but possibly smaller. In my case the knee wall is only 1 meter tall and the ceiling about 3 meters. The only windows are on the ends, I have the tv and audio under the sloped ceiling a few feet out from the half, or knee-wall. It is probably my least favorite...
  12. BillH

What is group delay?

Wikipedia seems to have a perfectly accurate description of group and phase delay
  13. BillH

Out for a few more days

I was hoping you were on a well deserved vacation. I was afraid you were a victim of COVID and ASR would end. I'm sorry to hear about your flooding - you deserve a vacation.
  14. BillH

Paradigm Atom replacement suggestions ?

Dennis just came out with a new version of his affordable accuracy kit for $325/pair. Given his other accomplishments, I'd recommend giving them serious consideration.
  15. BillH

Stereophile tested a Topping Pre90

Are they two separate BMR setups? If so they don’t create the same sound at a given listening location. Also, The frequency response differences between the two sets of speakers will dominate over any signal chain differences.
  16. BillH

Stereophile tested a Topping Pre90

Do I understand this correctly? You’re using two different sets of speakers located in different places in your room and you attribute the difference in how they sound to a preamp in one signal path?
  17. BillH

miniDSP Flex

Point well taken. However I still feel ISR is helping to make companies feel they need to provide the data.
  18. BillH

miniDSP Flex

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the fact that minidsp put Audio Precision APx555 graphs right on the product landing page for this new product. IMO this demonstrates the impact ISR and @amirm have had on home audio.
  19. BillH

JBL Control 29AV-1 Review (PA/Outdoor Speaker)

I’ve always wondered what the ideal spinorama would be for an outdoor speaker. The “in room response” often doesn’t make sense as these speakers may be mounted to the back of your house 10 feet off the ground with a back plane but no ground plane or side wall reflections to speak of, It seems...
Top Bottom