Search results

1. GeorgeWalk

How good is bad? (Raspberry Pi 4B headphone output DAC review)

I have that HAT. I bought it because I thought it was an interesting dichotomy of modern and old tech. I haven't used it much, it doesn't sound good. But it looks good on my shelf.
  2. GeorgeWalk

Gizmodo: Lossless audio does not sound better than mp3

The comments are interesting, also. https://gizmodo.com/lossless-audio-does-not-sound-better-than-mp3-1851341155
  3. GeorgeWalk

Good Robert Heinlein quote for this site

My favorite Groucho line: Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.
  4. GeorgeWalk

DIY Streamer based on Raspberry Pi 5

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 running piCorePlayer using a Topping D10s DAC connected to my Parasound preamp/amp set up. It works great no issues and no worries about reclocking/jitter BS. It is inexpensive and sounds great. I also have a WiiM ProPlus streamer connected to the Parasound system (these...
  5. GeorgeWalk

Poll: Audio Science Review in the World (2024)

120' That the top of Mt. Florida?
  6. GeorgeWalk

I've been to Aachen many times. Why is that place blowing up?
  7. GeorgeWalk

Been there many times!
  8. GeorgeWalk

I lived there and went to school there.
  9. GeorgeWalk

I'm from there, also.
  10. GeorgeWalk

Ken Fritz - Audiophile Documentary

The article says he passed away in April of 2022.
  11. GeorgeWalk

Newer Samsung TV UI/UX terrible?

I have two Samsung TV sets. The remotes are the worst. I like to watch TV in a low-light room. The buttons are unreadable. I don't know how many times I have wanted to pause a show and accidentally sent the TV back to the home screen.
  12. GeorgeWalk

the female voices of 70s and 80s pop

Linda Ronstadt singing anything! I could listen to her signing the ingredients off a Twinkie wrapper. Any genre, any style she owns it.
  13. GeorgeWalk

TV Series Suggestion Please

"The Fall of the House of Usher" is a great series that uses Oxy scandal and mixes it with Edgar Allen Poe stories and poems. Very well done. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fall_of_the_House_of_Usher_(miniseries)
  14. GeorgeWalk

the abyss after all this long wait the colour is wrong

I would put "Ad Astra" up there as a really bad movie. Nonsense plot, things happen for no apparent or explained reason, unlikable characters. And boring. As boring as "Dangerous Liaisons"(I fell asleep in both of these movies). That is their only good quality - Ambien of movies.
  15. GeorgeWalk

the abyss after all this long wait the colour is wrong

One of the artifacts of digital formats is that they have higher frame rates (usually 60 fps) vs. 24 fps for film. This tends to subtly shift colors and also give that "soap opera" effect. I don't like the "soap opera" effect and there are settings on you TV that can be used to minimize it.
  16. GeorgeWalk

Worst movie ever?

If you haven't seen it, try the unrated version. https://www.ign.com/articles/2004/06/08/badder-santa
  17. GeorgeWalk

Rotary subwoofer? Is this for real?

This guy makes a rotary subwoofer (looks more like a fan attached to a subwoofer). Some of his comments are interesting: "This is the most useless thing I have ever built." "I may use it only once a year to impress friends." "Unnecessarily expensive braided cables."
  18. GeorgeWalk

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

I have had problems with cables (even Apple cables) working with various devices. What I found was that the connector port on the phone was dirty. It doesn't take much pocket lint or a little dirt to cause problems in the phone. Try cleaning the port with some alcohol and toothpicks.
  19. GeorgeWalk

Drummers you can't mistake

Edgar Winter Group playing Frankenstein, live. Edgar plays three instruments including the drums. There are two good sections were Edgar and the drummer, Chuck Ruff, are doing a call and response on the drums.
  20. GeorgeWalk

Ugliest component ever created

That will scare a buzzard off a shit wagon.
Top Bottom