Search results

1. bhigh

Inexpensive Powered Monitors?

I'd like to get some speakers for my home gym and was hoping to get some recommendations. My gym is in the garage, absolutely not an ideal listening environment. I'd like to be able to play music loud enough without it getting muddy. Two options that I'm considering are the Mackie CR5-XBT for...
  2. bhigh

Audioengine B-Fi Music Streamer

You can get a used 2nd gen Airport Express for ~ $50 on eBay. I recently purchased one for a similar setup.
  3. bhigh

DAC for HD660S

Any of the DAC that you mentioned will be fine. Look for something in your price range and use the reviews here to determine which has the features you need. The ODAC, SDAC, D10,, E30 etc. would all prove transparent enough for your other equipment. The HD660 like a lot of power and the Atom is...
  4. bhigh

Stand Alone Speakers

I hadn't seen those. They look like a good fit. Thank you!
  5. bhigh

Google Nest Audio Spinorama and Measurements

They used to sell the Chromecast Audio for ~ $35 which had SPDIF out.
  6. bhigh

Stand Alone Speakers

Can it be used without a Google account?
  7. bhigh

New Google/Nest Audio Speaker

Can it be used without a "normal" Google account? I use a Google Apps domain for my personal mail, which can't be used with my Nest thermostat or a Google Mini.
  8. bhigh

Stand Alone Speakers

I would like to add a set of speakers to my home office for use with streaming services. I mostly use Google Music, with either an Android phone or an iPhone. I am a cheap SOB and would like to get the best I can for minimal cost. I am generally unimpressed with the value of Sonos speakers...
  9. bhigh

AirPlay 2 bridge?

I managed to score an AirPort Express 2 for < $50, now I need to see about getting it integrated with the receiver. I'm pretty sure I have a TRS-style SPDIF to normal cable around here ...
  10. bhigh

AirPlay 2 bridge?

The Gen3 AppleTV doesn't support AirPlay 2, only AirPlay. Resampling can cause some distortion, but honestly I can't hear it. Most of my music is from streaming sources, and I'm not doing a lot of critical listening.
  11. bhigh

AirPlay 2 bridge?

Resampling doesn't bug me too much, and since my AV receiver has HDMI in that's simple enough. I'd like to have something smaller to use with powered speakers that I have in other rooms too, which is where the AppleTV would really fall down. I found this post on modifying the IKEA speakers, but...
  12. bhigh

AirPlay 2 bridge?

It's discontinued, and the prices on eBay are all over the place. It's surprising that Apple added airplay 2 support, honestly. The apple TV would work, but it's not hitting the sub $50 price I'd like
  13. bhigh

AirPlay 2 bridge?

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced AirPlay 2 bridge? Everything I'm able to find is either a full blown receiver and amp, or a stand alone speaker like a Sonos. I'd like to find an easy way to add support to my receiver without replacing it. Something with SPDIF or analog out would be...
  14. bhigh

Review and Measurements of Onkyo M-282 Amp

Powered monitors can have a poor quality amp in them as well. The benefit of a monitor is that the amp should be well paired to the speaker and enclosure, but that may not always be the case.
  15. bhigh

Review and Measurements of Onkyo M-282 Amp

The manual recommends leaving it at max under normal use actually. I bought the amp in August 2008 to set up a second zone in the house, but it never got used. The price new was $195. I wonder if using a 4 ohm load increased the power requirements on the amp and led to more heat?
  16. bhigh

Motherboard SPDIF vs Topping D10 (or other USB bridge) SPDIF?

SPDIF is subject to jitter and clock skew. A cheap motherboard could introduce it, or a bad USB implementation could.
  17. bhigh

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Can you confirm that your unit can be powered by the USB type-B port on the back? I've just unpacked mine and it will only power on if it's getting power from the 5V in.
  18. bhigh

My D50 from Massdrop arrived on Friday but I haven't opened it up yet. The outer box has some dings so I'm a little nervous about its condition. I think you can get the D50 for a similar price to the drop on AliExpress. If not and you're willing to deal with MD again, it will probably come back...
  19. bhigh

It should not. USB spec is 5V, 500 mA. Anything that can supply a minimum 500 mA at 5V will work fine.
  20. bhigh

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

That was my thought too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transimpedance_amplifier The socketted opamp is probably acting as a unity buffer.
Top Bottom