Search results

1. Y

Baffle wars

It's my own, I know. I know the off-axis radiaton of both versions and of course they are differs from each other. As I said, the narrow-rounded baffle had more uniform off-axis response but subjectively I preferring the sound of the larger baffle in this case. Maybe you would prefer it too...
  2. Y

Baffle wars

Yes, but the problem wth those results is that they are done with completely different loudspeakers with many variables. If one want to know what edge diffraction does to the sound, the test needs only one variable, which in this case is the baffle size, because the OP interested in this as he...
  3. Y

Baffle wars

Does that mean you know how baffle size affects the sound reproduction (in measurements or in our perception)? Please state clearly what you want to know!
  4. Y

Baffle wars

Theta! What is early reflection in your view in the context of narrow and wide baffles? We know how baffle shapes and sizes affects the sound so this is science. Do you want to know how baffle size affects our perceptions of the reproduced sound and why one engineer chooses narrow ond the other...
  5. Y

MiniDSP SHD vs Pioner VSX-LX505 : noticeable difference in sound quality

It might be worth mentioning that if we don't use 2V (LX505) or 4V (SHD) output levels, the SINAD of the devices will be different than what Amir measured, but how much and what other factors might come in, we don't know. And you probably don't use such high signal levels, because with the...
  6. Y

MiniDSP SHD vs Flex HTx

The SHD series got Volumio 3 with the latest updates, so not old and crufty at all anymore.
  7. Y

Opinions on Hypex Plate (FusionAMP) Amplifiers?

There are surround processors with volume controlled digital outs for all channels from Storm Audio, Trinnov etc, but they are quite expensive.
  8. Y

ATC speakers / Monitors

And probably comes without dustgrille, like other ATC Pro models.
  9. Y

ATC speakers / Monitors

The SCM50 and upper models have asymmetrical midrange and tweeter placement on the baffle, this helps to mitigate/spread (not eliminates completely ofc) diffraction problems.
  10. Y

ATC speakers / Monitors

The Pro models have edge roundovers, the higher tier consumer models have beveled (or maybe rounded on newer models) dustgrilles, only the entry series don't have any edge treatment.
  11. Y

ATC speakers / Monitors

For example a sensible waveguide for the tweeter and it would show much even off-axis response IMO.
  12. Y

ATC speakers / Monitors

Here is a quote from the analysis of Grimm LS1. I think it's related to this topic (and other loudspeaker topics): "I can see how this could be “interpreted” as more accurate. With less energy in the lower frequencies, there is less upward masking, therefore more perceived detailed. It’s...
  13. Y

ATC speakers / Monitors

The port tuning frequency of an ATC speaker is usually low and the speaker boxes are relative small but not too small (considering the T/S parameters of the woofers), the result is a gentle rolloff towards lower frequencies and not a sharp knee below the port tuning, like many modern monitors have.
  14. Y

ATC speakers / Monitors

In my home environment, I have a reverberation time of 0.2-0.3 seconds, similar to several of my friends rooms. IMO this is not too hard to achieve with proper acoustic treatment. Maybe a completely untreated, modern, full of concrete and stone, minimalistic design living room is a different...
  15. Y

ATC speakers / Monitors

So what happened? Or I missed something?
  16. Y

ATC speakers / Monitors

According to some who have heard both, the Volt midrange doesn't subjectively sound like the ATC either.
  17. Y

ATC speakers / Monitors

An in-room response of a loudspeaker comes from the speaker plus the room, they are not separable, just need to be treated differently (pun intended) at different frequencies.
  18. Y

ATC speakers / Monitors

I heard the SCM150s in a normal, acoustically untreated living room. They sounded simply wonderful, one of the best, if not the best hifi audio experience that I've ever heard. Well, this maybe sounds like an exaggerated, blind fanboyism but it's not.
  19. Y

ATC speakers / Monitors

The 3 way ATCs have a relative gentle roll-off at their low-end plus they are tuned low, so a carefully positioning in a typical room can help to get deep, powerful but not exaggerated bass from them. They are not as flat down low anechoically like some newer active monitors (those monitors are...
  20. Y

Why do passive speakers still exist?

And with off-the-shelf drivers from SEAS. Not that they are bad but still...
Top Bottom