Search results

1. CDMC

Schiit, PS Audio or Marantz in Alaska

What does an amp being a Class AB or D have to do with anything in the discussion. OP asked about several potential amps, I explained why any of his proposed choices would work fine and that anything over 100w/ch would likely be overkill. He bought one of his choices, and guess what, it works...
  2. CDMC

Speaker cable advice

I believe here he retested as had higher distortion than expected dropped when cables retightened https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hypex-ncx500-class-d-amplifier-review.41007/
  3. CDMC

How can I improve my entertainment sanctum?

A big throw rug and a comforter will help the sound, as well as keep you warm on cold nights.
  4. CDMC

Speaker cable advice

For less than $100 you can get a pair of Blue Jeans cables made with Belden 5000UE wire, ultrasonically welded (i.e. gas tight) to good locking bananas. While the cable will have no effect on the sound, a poor or corroded connection between the wire and connector, or connector and amp/speaker...
  5. CDMC

Thoughts on first analog system $3.5k budget

Why a balanced phono setup? At best, the SN ratio of vinyl is about 60db. For $150 you could get a Schiit Mani which is a great phono pre stage. You could take the $300 extra and step up to the Philharmonic BMR at $1700 which offers significantly better performance than the Ascends.
  6. CDMC

I am quoting measurements from a reprint of the original review from Stereo Review written by Julian Hirsch (which is linked by the OP), as far as you can get from a subjective review. You appear to misunderstand objective and subjective, as you continue to state you opinion is based on your...
  7. CDMC

What big swings? “The impedance of the L100T was at a minimum of about 5.3 ohms at 120 Hz and 5 ohms from 15,000 to 20,000 Hz. It peaked at 24 ohms at 50 Hz and varied between 5.5 and 13 ohms over most of the audio range.” “Although our tests showed that the L100T can handle very large...
  8. CDMC

Did you read the actual test of that speaker? It is sensitive, at a measured 92db/w and the impeadance never drops below 5.3 ohms. That is an easy to drive speaker. At a 10 foot listening distance with 100 w that is 108 db, i.e., 3db above THX reference. There is no need to spend more money...
  9. CDMC

Tom Danley Signature Series HRE1 4,400-watt 4-way Powered Loudspeaker

That would significantly increase the price. ;) I understand function before form, but this is a bit extreme. I am not sure who needs 130 db output capability in a home environment, but it seems in a domestic environment for someone that wants high SPL capable and accurate speakers, the JBL...
  10. CDMC

Part of the potential issue you are suffering is the bass boost built into the amplifier (7.5 db at 67hz) which massively changes the output and sound. Basically this boost is requiring a 6x the power from the amplifier in that mid 60hz range as other parts of the audio spectrum, so you may be...
  11. CDMC

Blue Jeans Cable Isolation Transformer Review

I think this is spot on. Blue Jeans and Belden are offering a luxury product for those that wish to buy it. Presumably, they make more profit off of it, which is the general goal of a business, to make a profit. They are not making any outrageous claims, simply offering a luxury item, that...
  12. CDMC

Either the Vidar or Marantz will work well. Personally, I would save a little money and get a Hypex Class D offering which offer even better performance (measurably better, but will not sound any different past a bit more power capability if you were to start clipping the other amplifiers)...
  13. CDMC

XSA Labs Vanguard Speaker Review

If you look up the vans that were used, at least for live TV broadcast, they were actually pretty large, so at least in those, not a lot of transfer function gain: https://www.bbc.com/historyofthebbc/research/mcr21/ I think more likely was that having extended bass was just not an important...
  14. CDMC

XSA Labs Vanguard Speaker Review

Well they do have a lot in common, both are rectangular boxes and have two drivers in each box. :facepalm:
  15. CDMC

Philharmonic Ceramic Mini (review and measurements by Erin)

Rough crowd. I have the prior generation ceramic with the AMT tweeter, not sure how differently these are voiced. Having run many different speakers in in my desktop setup (Dynaudio, Totem, Salk WOW1), I find these to be the best sounding of the bunch. In the nearfield, they are slightly...
  16. CDMC

Free- Stereo Receivers- San Francisco Bay Area- Near Walnut Creek

Cleaning my garage and don't want to just throw these out. They were working when pulled out of service. Onkyo TX-8211 Stereo Receiver Nakamichi RE-3 with the remote. Please come, take them home so I don't have to put them out by the curb.
  17. CDMC

Topping DX1 mini desktop DAC & AMP

So the answer to this question is I did need to upgrade, and I didn't. I decided to try a more powerful Amp. Running the RCA outputs out of the DX1 into a JDS Labs Atom Amp+ I decides to compare the internal amplifier of the DX1 to see if it was running out of power. As close as I could by...
  18. CDMC

FS Massdrop Sennheiser HD58x $80

Had for about 3 years, probably 100 hours use. Bought a pair of Drop Dan Clarks so time for a new home. Good condition, no box or bag.
  19. CDMC

spotify quality vs "hi-fi" lossless options, i cant tell a difference.

You are just hard of hearing. If you could hear well, you would be astounded by the differences between high bit rate and sample rate recording, and Spotify, as well as the massive differences to be had by swapping cables and dacs. Crap, wrong forum, thought I was on IamanaudiophileG-d.com...
  20. CDMC

F/S: NAD M22 v2 FS USA Sold

Great amp, but I went to the latest and greatest, a Buckeye NCx500 Stereo. I have rationalized this purchase by the fact that the Buckeye is physically smaller and will let me move to a smaller equipment rack (down to two shelves). This will in turn make my wife happy. That is my story, and I...
Top Bottom