Search results

1. ernestcarl

What sort of system do Football stadiums use? (Surprisingly good)

PA manufacturer web or PA news sites might have more information and case studies about individual installations. In America: https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/applications/sport-venues/ https://meyersound.com/sports/ https://www.fulcrum-acoustic.com/markets-served/sports-stadiums-and-arenas/...
  2. ernestcarl

Keith_W DSP system

Funny -- seasoned (maybe), not exactly "expert" as I don't even have a good grasp of some of its other features. I've actually been using the more "stable" standard release version recently in my old Win 10 laptop which I prefer to use for quick REW measurements over Linux. Now, I am a little...
  3. ernestcarl

KEF Blade 2 Meta review by Erin's Audio Corner

I don’t particularly have any strong viewpoint whether his approach is right or wrong. At this point you are beginning to sound like a broken record on continuous replay, though.
  4. ernestcarl

UMIK-1 or any USB MIC unsuitable for timing measurements?

I suppose so, yes. To be frank, I really do not do DIY speaker builds myself. If one were to move either speaker, the timing reference would no longer be accurate. I think it works well enough, for "testing" already finished speakers. But I did slightly re-do the xo EQ here which meant the...
  5. ernestcarl

As I said, I use completely different speaker (so not exactly the DUT) that is already setup nearby as my acoustic time reference. When doing individual driver measurements recently on my RX699, for example, I used my Neumann KH120 as the reference and told REW to automatically adjust the time...
  6. ernestcarl

I use another speaker for the acoustic time reference. However, even then, my results can sometimes be off or a glitch can occur in the middle of a sweep so I now do repeated measurements and discard measurements that look off -- by looking at the IR/step and phase.
  7. ernestcarl

Center with good directivity for Revel M126Be?

Yes, you really have to measure each driver individually at the same reference distance. You probably already know this, but REW's alignment tool feature can be a great visual aid here: *polarity of LF MW inverted in second plot ---- Assuming that none of the drivers are broken, perhaps a...
  8. ernestcarl

Incorporating environmental factors for DRC

This first step considered as individual “driver” correction level seems questionable to me. It can be a useful data point, but I would not bother to make a correction filter from such a close proximity measurement. I know you eventually convolve multiple filters so the final filter ends up very...
  9. ernestcarl

Incorporating environmental factors for DRC

I would only move furniture away if it is readily mobile -- e.g. chair for a desk ~vs~ calibration microphone and its floor stand. I have speakers directly facing beds in bedrooms... am I supposed to dismantle and move queen-sized bed furniture outside first? How about the chairs inside the...
  10. ernestcarl

Keith_W DSP system

I noted this PA speaker -- purchased on ebay for cheap -- was "out-of-spec". Well, I consulted the B&C 6FHX51 spec sheet today and it turns out I was wrong: *Ignore the unevenness below 1kHz as that's largely because of room/desk "boundary effects" There is a dip there after all! I haven't...
  11. ernestcarl

Keith_W DSP system

There were signs of "over correction" in the step response: teeny-tiny (likely very subtle) pre-ringing perturbations. ----------- I've recently converted my bass-limited coaxial center speaker from a 2-way single-amp design to 2-way bi-amp... but kept the passive xo to protect the HF horn...
  12. ernestcarl

Does Phase Distortion/Shift Matter in Audio? (no*)

The dreaded leaf blower! I don't know if it's the same "leaf blower" machine they use in our neighbourhood for clearing out snow as well... but those sure are noisy as heck! Unfortunately, the house I'm living in even allows me to hear it all the way down to the basement where my main listening...
  13. ernestcarl

FIR filters via REW?

Have you tried simulating beforehand -- rather than adjusting after the fact -- the summed/vector averaged results (e.g. adjusting offset time/delay and EQ of the cancelling IR) in REW? I know this can be performed manually -- but probably difficult to get truly optimal results. Would be nice to...
  14. ernestcarl

Result between two different xo EQ designs I've cooked up for my own 7.1c desk setup: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LRdcE7XMjdRor4ToyDEWbaymiCUtwnLZ/view?usp=sharing Raw measurements taken at the MLP: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zUUee3FNyYupIgRH8ZwqSXjZBwz8QwFv/view?usp=sharing Which...
  15. ernestcarl

FIR filters via REW?

Are you describing some kind of active bass absorption/cancelling? Probably needs to be played by different (not the same) speakers or subs at a much lower level and band limited.
  16. ernestcarl

That's not always so easy or optimal to do in a multichannel system where one is forced to pair very different speaker designs (e.g. LF extension and phase profiles) all to the same .1 LFE and bass managed sub(s).
  17. ernestcarl

FIR filters via REW?

I think 4k sample count at 48kHz yields a file size of about 16 kb or so — assuming that’s what you are asking.
  18. ernestcarl

FIR filters via REW?

Change the sample count during export. You should be able to get away with a smaller value if you decrease the size of the left window: Actually, I have relegated certain minimum phase EQ (e.g. low frequency HPF) instead to my processor's PEQ bank. Why? Well, not including those inside...
  19. ernestcarl

Keith_W DSP system

I would import into REW just the filters created by Acourate (e.g. HF horn section) for one driver (linear phase vs min phase. s mixed phase versions) and compare the differences side-by-side: magnitude and phase, step, envelope etc. As well as convolve (A x B trace arithmetic) each filter set...
Top Bottom