Search results

1. Robin L

Revolver 2022

I don't know how many here have noticed, but the Beatles 1966 masterpiece Revolver got the Giles Martin treatment, only this time, the techniques used in Peter Jackson's Get Back have been applied to Revolver, where monaural tracks of a sub mix can be separated---drums, bass and guitar blended...
  2. Robin L

Corey Greenberg

For some strange reason, Stereophile just now posted this "review" from Corey Greenberg, doing his finest impersonation of Hunter S. Thompson. This was published back when I was a subscriber, and demonstrates those qualities that drew me to the magazine, along with the scribblings of Sam Tellig...
  3. Robin L

Sennheiser HD 579---a hidden jem?

I managed to get a lot of Sennheiser headphones, in large part thanks to a website that was selling open box returns at deep discounts. I also got a pair of Drop 6XX headphones, $220 at the time. Others include the Urbanite XL, sorta Sennheiser's response to the "Beats" phenomenon of headphones...
  4. Robin L

Tube Microphones?

HiYa kidz! Couldn't help but notice a few pro audio types in this particular neck of the woods. I'm doing some volunteer work for a local elementary school. I run audio for a Zoom of our assemblies and have done some work recording and playing with this group. When I started recording, some...
  5. Robin L

CDs---Grampa's relics?

I dumped my LP collection before moving north to Washington State. I knew that whatever place I was about to move to, there wouldn't be room for it. On top of that, after years of transferring analog discs of all sorts to digital media---had a little side hustle doing transfers for other...
  6. Robin L

Get Back

Watching "Get Back" on Disney +. Very strange, and very much of our time. This is the 8 CD/12 LP, 1 Blu-Ray [but long] deep dig into the sessions for what was going to be "Get Back" but turned into that bummer of bummers, "Let it Be": I recall seeing the VHS of "Let it Be" many years ago...
  7. Robin L

Technomad Noho C---anyone have hands on experience with these?

My stepson performs music locally, playing keyboard-based dance music requiring a PA. He just acquired the Technomad Noho C set of speakers, definitely intended to play loud and apparently very efficient. The specs I can find indicate 96 db out with 1 watt, maximum output of 118db, that with 400...
  8. Robin L

Feliks Audio Arioso amplifier, or: Stereophile slides into irrelevance

Steeophile's most recent "review" of the Feliks Audio Arioso amplifier does not mention the price of this SET amp, nor are there any measurements of what is sure to be a deliberately broken design. I guess if one has to ask how much it costs or how it operates, one would not be interested in...
  9. Robin L

Yuja Wang's Flying Fingers

In which one of today's finest pianists goes over the top with Mozart and Bizet:
  10. Robin L

Analog Corner # 307

Relates to a recent online foodfight. FYI, I'm just wondering what others might think of this post: Analog Corner #307: HiFiction X-Quisite ST, AC Power, PS Audio | Stereophile.com
  11. Robin L

"Flutter" on Amazon Music?

Have limited experience with music streaming from the internet, save YouTube. I'd assume YouTube sound would be dodgy, though there's some recent streams from that source that are of surprising high quality. I would guess that the upper tier of Amazon Music would be at least high-quality MP3...
  12. Robin L

Inner Fidelity reviews at Stereophile

I was looking for frequency response measurements of headphones, managed to stumble across this link to the old Inner Fidelity reviews of Tyll Hertsens: https://www.stereophile.com/category/innerfidelity
  13. Robin L

Best closed-back headphones, $200-$300

Going all-in with the ASR way, getting Drop 6XX 'phones, Topping E30 Dac and L30 Headphone Amp. My experience with open back headphones ranges from $5 'phones I should have avoided to over two decades with Stax Signature Earspeakers. Lately have been using the Sennheiser HD599 and HD579. Don't...
  14. Robin L

Stereophile---2 in a row without measurements

Like a lot of you folks out there in ASRland, when I read a Stereophile review of a piece of gear, I go to the measurements first then look over the subjective fantasy. I dunno why, but three pieces of gear that usually fall under the category of measurable have none. I wonder if this is related...
  15. Robin L

I say Neil Young ought to be deaf by now:

Neil Young says the MacBook Pro has ‘Fisher-Price’ audio quality: https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/28/21091655/neil-young-podcast-vergecast-interview-phil-baker-book-pono-hi-res-audio
  16. Robin L

LPs set to overcome CDs in sales

This story landed in my Google news feed. Right now, As of this moment I'm a total vinyl heretic [have just dumped my 2000 LP collection and related playback equipment], but I still understand collectors and collecting. Interesting article, notes how much of the Vinyl Revival involves used discs...
  17. Robin L

Third time around with the AKG Tiesto K167 Headphones.

I was researching headphones a couple of years ago, looking for something that was good for both Classical and Techno/Current Pop with lots of deep bass. I landed on the AKG Tiesto K167 Headphones, headphones that were regularly discounted 75% at B + H Photo, to $50. I saw an number of warnings...
  18. Robin L

Question regarding technical parameters of LPs.

I've been getting in a twist at sites like Stereophile lately concerning LPs. To my mind, the source for a recording should be the best version of a recording. To the best of my knowledge, there are multiple ways that transferring a high resolution master file of a recording to LP would...
  19. Robin L

Cary Audio SLI-80HS integrated amplifier measurements, Stereophile

Hope this is kosher, this is John Atkinson's measurements for Cary Audio SLI-80HS integrated amplifier. I suspect there might be commentary on this here thread. https://www.stereophile.com/content/cary-audio-sli-80hs-integrated-amplifier-measurements
Top Bottom