Search results

1. Robin L

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

That's what music does.
  2. Robin L

I owned the "Crystal Clear" direct to disc LP of the Boston Pops directed by Arthur Fiedler. Great sound, so-so performances, very wide dynamic range. $1 at the time I bought it. And yes, it was transparent.
  3. Robin L

Very much agree. I repeatedly point out that I really enjoy recordings from the 1930s. I know they are technologically deficient compared even to LPs on account of surface noise (though I've heard a lot of transfers lately that have cleaned up nicely) and restricted frequency response or...
  4. Robin L

Have Slim Floorstanding Speakers "Had Their Day?"

My current speakers are Infinity Primus 250s. They're 36" high, 7" wide and 12" deep. 2-way, with dual 5 1/4" bass drivers. I'm listening to them in a small room at a distance of about a meter, the 3/4" tweeters about 57" apart from my listening position. I really like the stereo imaging but in...
  5. Robin L

Sony MDR-7506 Review (Headphone)

The MDR-7506 (and its very close cousin the MDR-V6) became a "studio standard" for a number of good reasons. To start with, they are nearly bulletproof. They are lightweight. The sound characteristics emphasize frequencies that are potentially troublesome (bass where hum is a possibility, upper...
  6. Robin L

It showed up on my "Google News" feed, just had to look. What I notice, in particular, is the huge discrepancy between the prices of CDs and LPs, with LPs being, on average, 3 times more expensive. Of course, the music I listen to is pretty much being ignored anyway, so it's used titles for me...
  7. Robin L

" . . . Yes, vinyl sales are at their “highest level” since then, but 1990 was far from a golden age for vinyl sales in the UK. In fact, in 1990, vinyl sales were rapidly going down the toilet. Looking at the BPI’s own numbers from 1990, a total of 150.7 million albums were shipped in the UK...
  8. Robin L

An audiophile forum is impossible without discussion of music. Full stop.
  9. Robin L

I suspect that instrumentalists, given the choice between better playback gear and a better instrument, will go for upgrading the instrument. "The closest approach to the original sound" is the original sound, after all. I'm sure Mark Knopfler has great playback gear, but you ought to see his...
  10. Robin L

Maybe. But the people I've known who love music enough to learn how to play it, or who compose it, by and large do not show audiophile predilections. I know of a famous conductor of "Early Music" who had a music room with a harpsichord, a viol and, tucked in a corner, a plastic all-in-one stereo...
  11. Robin L

More to the point - the world is starting to run out of enough used LPs in playable condition to satisfy demand. On the other hand, used CDs seem to last longer and all of the used CDs I've acquired recently are spotless, pristine. Of course, they are Classical, less likely to be abused than a...
  12. Robin L

Seeing how the record stores I've gone to have a lot fewer CDs than LPs, and the used CDs are so cheap these days (in spite of having a much better chance of not suffering from sonic damage), my guess is that sales of new LPs are very much on the upswing compared to used. This town has one store...
  13. Robin L

Interesting - though LP sales exceeded CDs by a small margin (LPs 43.2 million vs 37.0 million), the retail value of LPs vs CDs is much greater ($1350.2 vs $537.1 million).
  14. Robin L

The Truth About Vinyl Records

15. Robin L

No way - there's tape shed and head wear and wow & flutter and distortion when the tape saturates. A highly overrated medium. Not to mention self-noise. Hand-held digital recorders, capable of 224/96 recording and hundreds of hours of recording on a micro-sd card, beat the pants off that format.
  16. Robin L

My memories of early FM were that when it started, it was for radios and other types of audio gear intended for in-home use. So, there wasn't the sort of loudness wars going on when FM radio became standard in cars. Initially there was a big uptick in sound quality with FM. That went away...
  17. Robin L

This relates to the well-known tale of the first cut of Led Zepplin II being too hard to track on the cheap record player of daughter of the record exec of the company producing it, resulting in a recut that had less intense bass. This sort of thing is a pretty powerful argument for digital...
  18. Robin L

Celebrity RIP Thread

Maurizio Pollini, a celebrated Italian pianist whose playing combined intellectual rigor with technical mastery, died March 23 at age 82. https://wapo.st/3PC9K37
  19. Robin L

A fabrication of highly and selectively edited materials, usually distorted beyond all recognition.
  20. Robin L

That's the lovely thing about the Long Playing vinyl records developed by Peter Goldmark of Columbia records in the late 1940s - they are an endless source of arguments:
Top Bottom