Search results

1. martijn86

Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Headphone Review

Speakers are so much easier in this regard. Flat slope good
  2. martijn86

Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Headphone Review

In working on figuring out my own target preference, I found the eargain effect (3Khz) to create natural imaging when it's spot on or widen the soundstage when it is reduced. When it's increased too much it almost feels like a mono source with all the sound coming from the front. So it could be...
  3. martijn86

Topping D50 III Balanced DAC with EQ Review

I was struggling to see why you'd set a target curve as an EQ instead of a filter that brings your output device closer to that target. But then I saw that you can load in your own source frequency response a la AutoEQ or CrinGraph. That's pretty flipping sweet. I hope that this pushes more...
  4. martijn86

Proposal: Right to Fair Review (RFR) Association

Would you consider running Wiki.js so users can contribute to your own knowledge base similar to what Hydrogen Audio did in the past using (the now pretty dated) MediaWiki: https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io. I see a lot of forum stickies and signatures linking to posts with valuable information that...
  5. martijn86

Measuring Some Vintage Speakers

Nice work, I assume that the common 55Hz peak is a room mode? That may color the low end extension. I think that with dispersion patterns, these vintage speakers are going to show most of their age. Especially the ones with odd and distant driver placement. You can correct the on-axis frequency...
  6. martijn86

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

What's that? A third-order Linkwitz–Riley crossover??
  7. martijn86

JBL 4312M II 3-way Studio Monitor Review

Lifestyle speakers sell like hot cakes in a world with internet shopping based on pictures and marketing. Still I'm also annoyed that they didn't even attempt to improve the design for a better response. A big low extrusion paper woofer is still great but inset the other drivers a little to...
  8. martijn86

D'AMORE E660.5 Car Amplifier Review

Knowing car audio brands, the box probably says 300W Turbo BASS! Or did that trend die in the last decades? A 5 channel Topping PA5 II would be sick but then again, what's the noise floor in your car?
  9. martijn86

Genelec 1031A Measurements & Review

I'm surprised that I still hear about this mistake occasionally. I had B&W 683 S3 towers and Audessey noticed that one speaker was out of phase. Apparently the speaker terminals where wired incorrect internally. Thanks for the great review! I imagine that anyone who still has a set will not...
  10. martijn86

Denon PMA-600NE Integrated Amplifier Review

I like your optimistic take and I would agree. For the money, you can't expect a great DAC and a great amplifier with dealer mark-up and everything. However, the power supply noise did not have to be there. That's a design flaw that I would expect on an $80 no brand amplifier. Especially the...
  11. martijn86

I measured 10 subwoofers.

Incredible effort. Thank you!
  12. martijn86

SMSL D-6s Balanced DAC Review

Fantastic package. ✅ Internal power supply ✅ USB-C ✅ Balanced output ✅ State of the art transparency ✅ < $200,- Since the controls are limited, but it is an ESS chip, does anyone know if you can play with the sound modes?
  13. martijn86

Audio Engineering Society 2023 Conference

I'm still looking through the program but one spiked my interest so far. Loudspeaker position identification using human speech directivity index is a paper on RoomEQ by putting the microphone in the speaker and listening to the listener and using neural networks to determine the shape of the...
  14. martijn86

Weiss DAC501 Streamer and DAC Review

Is it fair to put them in the rankings with the mode that isn't able to reach 4v over XLR just because that performs better? And yes I'm one of those clowns who love to see the vinyl emulator measured just to see what it does. If it was like SMSL's sound modes for valve or transistor sounds, it...
  15. martijn86

Weiss DAC501 Streamer and DAC Review

How nice of them to include an XTC toggle.
  16. martijn86

Buckeye NC252MP Stereo Amplifier Review

Boring reviews are best reviews. No drama means excellent design and transparency.
  17. martijn86

PrimaLuna Dialogue Three Preamp Review

That's subjective. If you own an SMSL or Topping ESS DAC with the option, turn on Tube or Transistor emulation in the Sound color options. It is my preferred method because you get the engineering excellence of the rest of the spectrum and switch the effect on or off whenever you like. It's not...
  18. martijn86

PrimaLuna Dialogue Three Preamp Review

I can't rate a Tube amplifier worse for having harmonic distortion. It is the only reason to go out of your way to get a tube amplifier or an R2R dac. I don't think anyone will claim that it gives a faithful reproductions of the music. To those who like it, it adds some sweet sause. And it's...
  19. martijn86

NAD C298 Stereo Amplifier Review

Warranty? Trusted sellers? Resell value? Quality control? Matches the rest of your equipment stack? I'm making up excuses here because I'm really happy with Audiophonics' Hypex implementations. Other than the fact that the large case is rather deep so I use right angle connectors for everything...
Top Bottom