Search results

1. R

Farewell my friends. Health is deteriorating - I'm fading out. (Updated - RIP)

Since I've been following ASR, I've often noted your contributions, and valued them. You conveyed a genuine decency and generosity in your comments, as well as knowledge and a desire to acquire more and to share it. Thank you
  2. R

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

The following message is now posted on the MiniDSP site regarding the Flex: "STOCK UPDATE (11/03/2022) : To stop confusion, we are putting the product out of stock till we have stock and are able to ship. It's better for customers who are ordering now. Thanks for your understanding and...
  3. R

I agree. They presumably mean 'output from the balanced DAC, when the signal originated from an unbalanced source', but they don't say that. In response to @Hayabusa's query: "Could it be the 15db SINAD loss was caused by using the wrong cable?": Note that @amirm also found a 10 db drop when he...
  4. R

I contacted MiniDSP to clarify a statement in their 'Flex Balanced connection' user note about whether degradation of SINAD could be expected on the output side as well as the input side when using balanced-to-unbalanced cables. In their response, they confirmed that the issue only arises for...
  5. R

I don't think you have misunderstood the text they've written. But as @waynel said, and you too, the passage is unclear. Just above it in the same posting, moreover, they propose that users employ a TRS to unbalanced cable for an unbalanced subwoofer (the kind many people likely have, even if...
  6. R

Vera Audio P400/1000 Review (Amplifier)

Thanks for another very interesting review, Amir. And all the best to you and your wife. You should know that a lot of us are thinking about you.
  7. R

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

This seems fair to me. The limitations of the DAC in this line of Bluesound streamers are now well known to ASR participants, even those of us who on other grounds find the streamer to be a good one. They might want to consider a version without a DAC, at a somewhat lower price, if they don't...
  8. R

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

I agree with this. The BluOS app works very well, in my experience, once you get used to it. That does take some doing, admittedly. And this unit works very well as a streamer but, as with the earlier version tested by @amirm, one must bypass the internal DAC to avoid degradation of SINAD from...
  9. R

Hifiman HE400i Review (planar headphone)

Hi David, As you may know, the RME only allows you to set five bands when you configure an EQ preset. This is described on pp. 24-5 of the version of the manual I have. But if you click on I/O on the front of the DAC, then toggle to the bass/treble settings, you can set bass and treble. In each...
  10. R

Philips Fidelio X2HR Review (headphone)

It is Philips; it can be found on p. 12 of the brochure they send with the phones.
  11. R

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Like the member who responded directly after your message, I haven't experienced this with my newish (2 months) RME DAC.
  12. R

I'm glad you got that discount. I found that there is a learning curve ... :)
  13. R

Welcome to ASR. Yes, there is no competitive pricing for this DAC in Canada. I got mine a couple of months ago from Nord (UK). Of course, you're likely getting a very reasonable price from the RME store. It is a fine DAC. The greatest surprise for me is how much fun it has been to learn how to...
  14. R

Amplifier SINAD list ASR + 3rd parties

I had not seen this work earlier, @Matias. Thanks so much for doing it. Integrating Amir's measurements does seem like a good idea.
  15. R

Focal Clear Review (headphone)

I think a problem we have, from a measurement point of view, is that we have tools for doing this for frequency response, but not for some other attributes, such as sound stage. The HD650s clearly do quite well regarding FR, but most reports, and my own observation, suggest that they are not...
  16. R

Thanks for this. I have been thinking about getting the X2HR phones. I remember your favourable discussion of them on your site, but also noted your concern about quality control with them, that they seem inconsistent pair-to-pair. This is one reason why I am still hesitating about them.
  17. R

Focal Clear Review (headphone)

Thanks again, @amirm, for another informative review. I particularly like the way you addressed the question of before- and after-EQ distortion measurements, an issue that was addressed by readers of your earlier reviews. @solderdude raises an interesting point in entry #33 about how much we...
  18. R

Yes, and the RME's bass and treble settings give you an additional two bands, as long as you have at least one each (and no more than two) of a low shelf and a high shelf in your settings. I recommend it if like Helicopter (and me) you would rather not always be using a computer.
  19. R

Thanks very much for this, Amir. These were my favourite headphones until I discovered the virtues of EQing, in part under your influence. The Oratory1990 EQ settings did much more to improve the Sennheiser 6XX's that I also own than they did for these headphones. I'll now try your options. I do...
  20. R

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

I'm not saying that. I thought that @pogo was saying that in the earlier post. Perhaps I misunderstood.
Top Bottom