Search results

1. Nathan Raymond

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

Everything I have with balanced is either XLR (SMSL SP200) or 2.5mm. In November I bought the Hidizs S9 PRO which is 2.5mm, but a lot of other companies have shifted to 4.4mm, so I have purchased modular cables for my IEMs so I can swap the cable end (3.5mm, 2.5mm or 4.44mm) and don't have to...
  2. Nathan Raymond

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

Sadly high end sound bars and solutions like Sonos have eaten into the integrated receiver market so I'm sure sales volume is down from 10-20 years ago. That contraction has likely contributed to Hi-Fi store closures and brand consolidations. Maybe there has been an attempt to maximize profits...
  3. Nathan Raymond

PrimaLuna Dialogue Three Preamp Review

Edison cylinder records have nowhere near the sound stage of a conch shell held up to the ear.
  4. Nathan Raymond

Minor personal crisis, I need to sell most of my audio gear - how best to do it?

Yes, I'm glad things weren't worse for me. Elsewhere in my city, a sewer main burst and created a giant sinkhole 15 feet from a house where everyone has had to be evacuated. The city estimates it will cost $1 million dollars to fix that sewer main. I've been running fans and a dehumidifier as...
  5. Nathan Raymond

Minor personal crisis, I need to sell most of my audio gear - how best to do it?

Yeah I realize I won't get as much... I just need to figure out a balance though and determine how valuable my time is. For instance, if I don't want to put a new washer and dryer in a basement that can flood again, I need to get quotes from plumbers and electricians ASAP to convert a first...
  6. Nathan Raymond

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check it out.
  7. Nathan Raymond

On Tuesday heavy rains flooded the streets and overwhelmed the storm drain system in my city of Haverhill, which then backed up into the sewer system and despite me running two pumps, flooded my basement so quickly I had over two feet of water and my washer, dryer, water heater, and furnace are...
  8. Nathan Raymond

Status Audio CB-1 Headphone Review

The aesthetics were cloned by Somic, yes. Status Audio's OEM for the CB-1 is Somic, specifically the Somic V1: https://www.somic-elec.com/somic-v1-oem-radio-headset-music-headset-original-headset-from-china_p40.html
  9. Nathan Raymond

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

HDCD was a real thing, Microsoft Media Player 9 and later support it as well as some CD players. There are software tools which can take an HDCD rip and put the 20-bit audio into a 24-bit audio file (which preserves all the extra headroom, and you just need to turn the volume up a bit during...
  10. Nathan Raymond

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

I believe all websites like this are fake/scam. Not sure how they work, but when you look up their addresses, they are in the middle of nowhere. Look up "101 elvin Howell rd, Lucedale, Mississippi 39452, United States" in Google Maps and check out the street view. The boilerplate nature of their...
  11. Nathan Raymond

ZeroSurge 2R15W Surge Protector Review

I had an electrician install an Intermatic Smart Guard IG2240-IMSK Whole Home Surge Protector when I bought my home: https://a.co/d/g16MiXU I liked that it had replaceable modules with indicator lights to let me know if protection is active and whether I need to replace a module or not.
  12. Nathan Raymond

The acoustics of Stonehenge

For those into history, this is pretty fascinating stuff: https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20230601-what-did-stonehenge-sound-like
  13. Nathan Raymond

Radsone Earstudio ES100 Bluetooth DAC & Amp Review

A parametric EQ, and also a ton of "Auto EQ" presents for many, many headphones. More on how to use it here: https://forum.headphones.com/t/casetens-qudelix-5k-quick-start-guide/17366
  14. Nathan Raymond

Atmos/DTS:X height channel physical placement in an old house...

Good question... this is something I've thought about, and I can certainly share what I know and my experiences. I'm currently running a pair of Wharfedale D300 Surround speakers for my Atmos speakers, and while they aren't specifically listed as "Atmos" speakers, Wharfedale describes them thus...
  15. Nathan Raymond

Does "Hi-Res" audio create noise pollution for pets?

Thanks for all the replies and links! My kids are a handful and my back is aching from pulling up a fence yesterday, I hope to be able to read and respond soon.
  16. Nathan Raymond

Does "Hi-Res" audio create noise pollution for pets?

So I was just thinking about how "Hi-Res" audio tracks (192 kHz, 96 kHz, etc.) might be creating noise pollution for pets in people's homes. For instance, cats can hear up to 64 kHz and dogs 45 kHz: https://www.lsu.edu/deafness/HearingRange.html It's my understanding that what audio has been...
  17. Nathan Raymond

Emotiva ERC-4 CD Player (DAC) Review

CDs were not just a 16-bit medium. In 1995 it was extended to 20-bits (though not a true 20-bit format) via the HDCD format, and about 5,000 titles were released in the HDCD format (and are backward compatible with 16-bit CD players)...
  18. Nathan Raymond

理性派HiFi X5 Speaker Review

Thanks! Now that I have the right name, I was able to look up the artist and am happy to see they sell their album directly in DRM-free lossless digital at Bandcamp: https://terjeisungset.bandcamp.com/album/winter-songs
  19. Nathan Raymond

理性派HiFi X5 Speaker Review

There is good engineering, and then there is counterfeiting and not respecting intellectual property, and trademarks. There have been issues in these categories not just with Chinese companies copying Western products, but also with China domestic products. A few years back the Seagull watch...
Top Bottom