Search results

1. R

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

Shure V15 Type IV MR / CA-TRS-1007 (B) The same measurements as above but with Shure MR needle: Notes: Turntable: Denon DP-51F MR needle is 40 years old but estimated use is 100 - 150 hours so should be in a pretty good shape VTF: 1.5 g with damping brush in use Phono stage: RH_RIAA 3.0...
  2. R

Shure V15 Type IV / Jico SAS-B / CA-TRS-1007 (B) As promised, measurements with correct settings for full 96 kHz sampling rate and two different capacitance settings (see post #852 for my original attempt): Lower load capacitance (the lowest setting of my RIAA): Notes: Turntable: Denon...
  3. R

I have noticed in this thread that in many cases you get very different crosstalk graphs from left to right and right to left. To make it more difficult to assess if the problem is in the test record or cartridge installation, results seem to vary from system to system and also between test...
  4. R

@mackat very nice results. Interestingly in your measurements we don't see the the azimuth related crosstalk problem. I wonder if different issues of that test record behave differently in this respect? I will pay more attention to the side of the test record next time...
  5. R

Yes, not bad and the FR is quite good. I will repeat the measurement though since I had not figured out that I have to adjust Windows sound device settings as well to capture with 96 kHz. I will do some different capacitances and the original MR needle as well.
  6. R

Yes, I realize that and I did set the audio settings in Audacity to use 96 kHz sampling but now I'm not sure if it really did that correctly. There really is no distortion data past 10 kHz in my graph. I guess the combination NI Komplete Audio 2 + Audacity is not the most common here and I'm a...
  7. R

OK, thanks. Then it is quite weird how I got a normal looking output when I did that first try. I'm sure I did not swap the channels for file 1 (R)... Nevertheless, I know now how to perform the recording and .wav file processing correctly!
  8. R

I can do a measurement with capacitance set to about 170 pF since my RIAA has minimum of ~50 pF and I estimate the cables to add 120 pF. This change has a small effect but as far as I can see, the setting I used for this measurement seems to be very close to optimal. I did one measurement with...
  9. R

Shure V15 Type IV / Jico SAS B It took me a few attempts to understand how the TRS-1007 was recorded and how to mitigate that with the script settings (riaamode = 2, riaainv = 1). I also found that if you record with 96 kHz sampling, the sample with Right channel must be channel swapped but...
  10. R

Warp filtering.

In my opinion, there are other pretty good methods to suppress problems caused by warped records in addition to this. I'll just make a short list (not in any particular order) here: Damping brush added to the cartridge like Shure did with a few models Servo tonearm that tracks the surface...
  11. R

Classic Audio MC Pro Phonostage Review

Well, I prefer full SMD design myself and I also hand solder them on 4-layer boards, no problem at all and don't have to cut those extra wires after soldering. :) But THT design has its benefits too so it is more a matter of preference than anything else. I can of course say that fighting RF and...
  12. R

Classic Audio MC Pro Phonostage Review

Having designed a couple of phonostages myself, I find this very interesting. I like the reasoning behind your choices and the end result is also very impressive. Still, I took a quite different approach. This is the power supply part of my RH RIAA 3.0. First of all, almost all the components...
  13. R

Fun with vinyl measurements

Well, here's the SINAD graphs of my RIAA from both MM and MC inputs and lowest gain setting. I use 5 mV input signal for MM and 0.5 mV for MC (as used in the reviews here). I find < 40 dB of gain something that would not be normally needed with MM and that's why the four selectable gain steps...
  14. R

ifi Zen Phono Review (phono stage)

Yes and the noise floor follows approximately the shape of RIAA equalization unless there's some sort of anomaly that bends either high or low frequencies.
  15. R

5 mV = -46 dBV at input and with (measured) 36.8 dB of gain it results into -46 dBV + 36.8 dB = -9.2 dBV at output. 1 V would be exactly 0 dBV which means the noise floor with 1 V at output would be 9.2 dB better than what you get with 5 mV input. That's pretty significant and should explain the...
  16. R

In principle, yes but I think that would better in some other thread or what do you think? I'm currently learning how to use the QA403 analyzer to reproduce what @amirm is doing with the AP. When I get a good graph with comparable Sinad readings, I will post the results here. So far it looks...
  17. R

You mean the noise performance? The reason for the difference to a typical line level amplifier stage is the input signal level. You need roughly 40 dB of gain for MM and 60 dB for MC and especially the latter is challenging. Note that especially MM input may show quite different results when...
  18. R

Since this thread is also about RIAA measurements, I'll share my humble attempt mo design and create a RIAA that would not alter sound too much. I did one version in 1989 for myself that I also used for some years before I jumped into CD era. Fortunately I saved my vinyls and TT as back then...
  19. R

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

Since no one has posted this one yet, here's my Denon DP-51F that I bought new in 1985. I have bought a Shure V15 Type IV in the previous year and got it installed in a Yamaha TT but moved it to the Denon when I got it. Later on I upgraded the needle to MR version which I still use. I bought a...
Top Bottom