Search results

1. JoachimStrobel

Roon Nucleus One

I believe it is a good move to offer a cheaper entry box for Roon. The price seems Okish, depending on the uplift for Europe. I run Roon on a dedicated 250€ fanless Windows box. It runs fine. But now and then Win11 wants to update itself and even the Pro version does that eventually and then the...
  2. JoachimStrobel

Replacing NAD T778

In the meantime you could power down the NAd, first with the front switch and after 10 sec with the switch at the back and start again. It will rescan the HDMI ports.
  3. JoachimStrobel

NAD T778 vs Arcam AVR20 and/or how do I listen to an Atmos music stream on an AVR.

I read posts like this and hold my breath. My NAD T778 has been performing absolutely flawless for 2 years now. Not even fan noise. And I am using all internal amps. I keep my fingers crossed.
  4. JoachimStrobel

Alternative perspective on the Harman loudspeaker preference curve.

There is more to that. Once you listened to a poor bass heavy sound at home, people believe that the 200-500 hz resonance is a good bass response. Sadly they do not hear that in a concert or with a properly corrected home system. So they crank up the bass. And so it goes…
  5. JoachimStrobel

External decoder for surround sound?

You could upgrade to an Apple TV that will output everything as linear PCM via HDMI. You then could try and find an Oppo 103 (or better) that decodes that HDMI into analog channels which you could feed into your receiver. That may sound complicated but will sound good, plus you have a blurray...
  6. JoachimStrobel

Dirac Reviews

A+ for Dirac full range on a Nad T778. Sure, at first I am missing this thick bass - which were just room modes that made me think I had a good bass reproduction. Above 500 kHz live and death is the room curve. Trying to make the system flat by believing high frequencies should reach the ear at...
  7. JoachimStrobel

Many thanks. I am thinking of a small jazz venue for 60 people with a size of around 200 Sqm. So it is not too far out from a 60 sqm living room. And while dynamics could be overcome, the comment about double-room is great. And that seems to be the problem. And yes, sometimes an over...
  8. JoachimStrobel

I confess that I do not understand why one can not match a loudspeaker room response to a concert sound: Record an non-amplified Jazz sextet (incl. horn and reed) in a small concert hall und “fit” the house curve to that envelope. That will need more than two speaker, but will 11 speaker...
  9. JoachimStrobel

I believe the message is: Do not over-engineer your system. Good speaker and a bass and treble control is enough. And bass and treble is like salt in a restaurant’s table: Despised by gourmets but needed by others and as a restaurant should care for all customers so should vendors. The trouble...
  10. JoachimStrobel

That discussion sounds familiar. Like gourmet vs ordinary people. Way to go.
  11. JoachimStrobel

This is my favorite curve system too. However, I can not get my head around the trained-nontrained listener label. So everybody who wants more bass and treble is un-trained. Like somebody putting too much ketchup on his burger is „untrained“. So there is a trained elite who separates their...
  12. JoachimStrobel

Roon - Non existing support

This is what I use https://amzn.eu/d/0w1X0ic May not be what you want, sells for 250€ in sales.
  13. JoachimStrobel

Streamer vs Computer

In the same way as bypassing the computer stuff gives you a cleaner videostream without that snow on the screen. And in Word the text can read much better.
  14. JoachimStrobel

Roon 2.0 Launched Today - Adds Mobile Listening

You mean paying development upfront and hoping that users buy in? Better: charge an annual maintenance fee and provide updates und new functions yearly.
  15. JoachimStrobel

Roon 2.0 Launched Today - Adds Mobile Listening

A lot of professional software I use has a price tag and a maintenance fee. That is the way Roon should go, should have gone. Like 500 USD flat and 10% license fee. I can not see any mechanism how the can ran on a fix cost system only - unless they invest the money in something insanely...
  16. JoachimStrobel

Streamer vs Computer

That is fine, if that money is not cut away from potential more needing things then go with it
  17. JoachimStrobel

Streamer vs Computer

As Amir said, it is a constant battle with Windows updating and version when using a WinPC. And the a new Win12 might not support your hardware any longer. Go the WinPC route only if you enjoy that sort of thing. A stand-alone Apple mini is better, but expensive. I tried that only a short time...
  18. JoachimStrobel

Do not blame Roon too much. They want to sell you a repackaged 300€ box as Nucleus for 1000€ surcharge. That will work and have support. I guess their software-only offering will be removed some day. So be happy to hack their strategy and do not make your setup too complicated (no HDMI out), use...
  19. JoachimStrobel

That is great, just a bit expensive those two NUC. My Win11 thingy was 200€ and that is the most I will spend.
Top Bottom