Search results

1. L

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

I suspect there would not be any discernible difference between the USB 3.1 vs optical S/PDIF, but if you get a DAC that has both, you can try both for the price of one extra cable. iirc Amir wrote something about how USB is excellent if the system is designed properly and will measure slightly...
  2. L

This is a question of priorities and your system. If you're gaming, I would particularly avoid USB 2.0 because of latency, which may be felt as additional 'input lag' and possibly audio sync issues and stutters. USB 3.0 is less of a problem (I think, but not 100% certain) and so the S/PDIF may...
  3. L

That's it then, probably getting somewhere in order of 600mV to 1V signal, with enough current to power undemanding headphones. A line out from a DAC will give you around 2V, but little power. So if the system is not satisfying with the Atom on high gain, maybe check out the Khadas Tone Board...
  4. L

You're using the analogue line out from the computer? Atom low gain is × 1.0, it will be the same volume as analogue out from the PC. I suspect you need to change the connections to use either USB, or S/PDIF via optical or coax to an external DAC to get a true line out signal to the Atom.
  5. L

More design details about Khadas Tone Board

I hope that i) there is a board only version, and ii) the board will fit the Audiophonics case (or a new version of it.)
  6. L

Topping D30 DAC Measurement and Review

Not looking for an upgrade and I won't be buying D50s since I don't need Bluetooth or a pretty display. What I am interested in seeing is the new KTB, whatever JDS Labs end up releasing to complement the Atom, and comparing them with whatever new thing Topping have at the price point. Whatever...
  7. L

Topping D30 DAC Measurement and Review

The D50s is now very close to release, and I don't expect Topping will be resting on their laurels, so I wondered if there have been any hints yet of a new model (D30s?) to supersede the D30?
  8. L

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

It doesn't look silly in the context of Topping DAC + amp system. EDIT: I'm curious about this now, assuming it will make measureable differences, will this actually make any audible difference in a system?
  9. L

What would you donate for us to test speakers?

Some are quite happy to do so face to face as well :D A meme from The Big Lebowski is also apt in some cases... Maybe, but I don't think many other than the hobbyists on a budget will be persuaded to buy consumer gear instead of pro gear. It would make an interesting comparsion to see some...
  10. L

I can't vouch for any of these since I haven't looked at them for several years, but maybe you'll find something of interest or they may lead to other forums: https://old.reddit.com/r/audioengineering/ http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php https://www.soundonsound.com/forum...
  11. L

Different market? Recording and broadcast professionals have little patience or tolerance for the steaming piles of BS spewed by consumer hi-fi and electronics marketing.
  12. L

S/PDIF source switchers for TOSLINK+RCA or RCA only, and TOSLINK optical to RCA adapters?

That's just a pain in the posterior. I'm not ready to do that just yet, I haven't made up my mind which DAC I'm going to get and I'm not sure which systems are going to end up running through my headphones. I'm still curious though, is it expensive to put together a digital patch bay? what do...
  13. L

S/PDIF source switchers for TOSLINK+RCA or RCA only, and TOSLINK optical to RCA adapters?

I have a couple of related questions here regarding devices to manage the connection of different sources to a DAC. I've been perusing the wares on eBay and Amazon and have yet to find answers. Is there such a thing as an S/PDIF source switcher that incorporates both TOSLINK and RCA inputs, or...
  14. L

Thanks for the words of welcome :) That unboxing was interesting - there was a bit of dust on the feet of my Atom, no courtesy card, but the power brick was clean and the UK box was checked. So a bit inconsistent overall, but nothing to worry about. I'm just kicking myself even more for not...
  15. L

You'd think, but the RE262 is very low sensitivity. Specs I can find say: 150Ω, 94 db SPL / mW. It's very quiet on the PC at max volume, and basically useless on the tablet. Anyhow, I can happily keep the PC and/or tablet volume low. It'll be a short term solution. EDIT: should add that I'm...
  16. L

Hi all, My first post here on Audio Science Review and I've just received my Atom from the hifiheadphones sale. I was lucky enough to get it for £93.49 + £3.99 p&p, a great deal on the Atom for the UK :) I'm hoping finally to give my HiFiMan RE-262 the power they need, but I can't try it out...
Top Bottom