Search results

1. E

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

That sounds good, thanks. Will definitely check the XTPower out. EDIT: Did some more testing, starting with the most basic setup: my active monitor speaker attached to an UPS that's running off battery, with the mains plug physically detached. Turns out that the speaker was buzzing, which leds...
  2. E

I understood you perfectly fine, I was just wondering if the usage of a powerbank wouldn't introduce other issues that might not be obvious immediately. Anyway, I noticed I never confirmed it explicitly, but you were right, of course: the noise in my setup is indeed not audible when listening...
  3. E

I was assuming your recommendation was based on the notion that it's galvanically isolated. Because otherwise, if it can't be used in a permanently charged state you'd be inviting a whole bunch of other issues, like voltage drops when depleting the cells. So how does the XT behave when nearing a...
  4. E

So does this mean one could theoretically use the XT as a ADI-2 DAC PSU that's permanently attached to its charger? Is the XT line-interactive?
  5. E

I don't believe your setup and mine are in any way or shape related. I have no issues with the device, the ground loops I've been struggling with I'd have with any other device, it's not particular to the ADI-2 DAC, and the device is certainly not the cause for anything other than my pleasure...
  6. E

Matthias from RME recommended this model: https://www.amazon.co.uk/XTPower%C2%AE-XT-20000QC3-Power-Bank-connection/dp/B07PY8516W/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=B07PY8516W&qid=1563226414&s=gateway&sr=8-1
  7. E

@Tks Thanks for the report. My setup is a bit particular in that the coil whine is not transitioning to the ADI-2 DAC through the source PC. Actually, the source PC with the GPU whining and the ADI-2 DAC are not directly connected, but there are multiple paths: An HDMI cable is connected to the...
  8. E

I have now found why I was assuming for a while that the USB input of the ADI-2 DAC would be galvanically isolated. It was in a review of the unit at Thomann (Europe's largest retailer for music gear): https://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_adi_2_dac.htm Not true at all, it seems.
  9. E

The one issue I have with Intona is that they have started dabbling in the cable voodoo business: https://pro.intona.eu/en/stories/cable Considering that the USB cables RME bundles with their high-end interfaces are just bleak, black standard cables that also happen to conform to USB 2.0 specs...
  10. E

Thanks for the technical insight. The active monitors are connected to the ADI-2 DAC using a pair of 1.5 meters of Cordial CRM FM XLR connections, plugs are Neutrik NC3 XX, cable is CMK ROAD 250. Datasheet of cable...
  11. E

I'd assume it's not providing power on the USB device side, and the power input on the isolator is only there to drive the isolator itself when USB host power is not sufficient (the isolator requires 320 mA). Not a problem with the ADI-2 DAC, though. The Intona devices do provide power on the...
  12. E

I just ordered the Delock 62982 galvanic isolator (3kV optical isolation, 480mbps), it costs only half as much as the Intona device that RME recommends. Should arrive Wednesday, then I'll report back.
  13. E

Thanks for the detailed response, Matthias. I had already done tests to make sure that it's indeed the USB port of the ADI-2 DAC, and not the power connection, that closes the ground loop (or rather, one of the ground loops). Verification: (1) No iFi iDefender dongle in the USB connection path...
  14. E

Exactly. The ground loop is not happening through the S/PDIF but through one of the many other possibilities: computer PSU leaking into the power strip, video cable (both computers use the same display), or keyboard/mouse cable attached to display (the shared display has a USB hub builtin that...
  15. E

Another point on RME, which might help explain why it performs as well as it does: RME have a background in producing professional-level 19" devices for music and post studios. (I happen to have their flagship device, the Fireface UFX+, too.) That's the kind of level where you can't afford...
  16. E

Ok, so this is from a non-electrical engineer, and Amir and others can probably shed more light on the correct EE background here, but basically there are at least two types of unwanted noise that could hit the signal chain of an ADI-2 DAC setup: USB port noise and ground loops. The first...
  17. E

I have recently purchased the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, and would like to give my own impressions, especially a few points I think haven't been mentioned yet. First, a confession: I was a Schiit user. I have been off the Schiit for 2 weeks now. I want to thank Amir for the encouragement that he...
Top Bottom