Search results

1. Ceburaska

Vintage amplifiers that could challenge or approach current state of the art amplifiers

Sony TAF808? I’ve had mine a few years now and just love it. Features, sound, power, phono amp, remote. The only thing I’d change is have a mute button on the remote.
  2. Ceburaska

Benchmark AHB2 vs Quad artera vs hypex class d

I am astonished that the idea that the price of a Hifi item is more than vaguely related to the cost of its components is still held by anyone. Go check out the TotalDAC review. I won’t wade into the specifics of these products. But please, don’t perpetuate the myth that more expensive is better.
  3. Ceburaska

Poll: Where are you guys from?

About 300 people in the very quaint, beautiful Cotswolds. I picked up my Cheburashkas in Latvia.:)
  4. Ceburaska

What to trust ear or measurement?

The bird was awesome. Could have done without her.
  5. Ceburaska

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

Recently got a second hand RME ADI-2 DAC. Might well be too elaborate for me, it’ll certainly take me a while to figure it all out.
  6. Ceburaska

Classical ♫ Music only | Some you listen now or recently, some you love...

Another version released this year. I’ve not yet heard it, but it has good reviews.
  7. Ceburaska

Any thoughts on well recorded exceptional performances of Beethoven's Piano Concerti?

I would recommend Arrau and Kempff from the sonatas’ list. I like Arrau for pretty much everything. I recently listened to Stewart Goodyear’s set and very much enjoyed it.
  8. Ceburaska

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

I’ve bought some items, including a couple of Topping dacs and Revel M16 speakers, specifically due to ASR reviews. My Roon purchase was certainly influenced by ASR. Also, the concepts of using DSP and subwoofers (if not the actual ones I’ve bought) have originated here. Posts from...
  9. Ceburaska

Turntables?

I concur. I’ve been through a bunch of styli including several mono, and I’m now sticking with the basic Audio Technics VM 540. Cheap, replaceable stylus, no worrying about moving coil settings. Very good measurements by David Rich...
  10. Ceburaska

Some times I think I've lived too long...'cuz I really don't get it!

I don’t dislike Bad Guy, but nothing about it perks my interest. However that may be because my usual listening for the last few years has been classical and jazz. It appears to have an almost hypnotic effect on some friends’ kids I know.
  11. Ceburaska

Anyone else binge-watching TV series during the coronavirus quarantines?

You’d no doubt turned off in disgust well before, but The Boys has the same actor. And in a similar role I think (not having seen him in BB or Mandalorian).
  12. Ceburaska

I thought the original idea for West Wing, a show focussed on the team behind the Pres, was excellent. Alas Sorkin got enamoured by Martin Sheen/ Bartlett and made him the centrepiece. Similarly, I thought House of Cards would have been great if about the non politicians, like Robin Wright. All...
  13. Ceburaska

An excellent list, although I’ve never watched Newsroom, got bored of Sorkin. Oddly all of them fall off dramatically in the last season or so. True Detective is a one season show, they should have made the other seasons under a different name. Anime is my kryptonite, mostly over acted, poorly...
  14. Ceburaska

Both good, not quite great, films. Denis Villeneuve did Arrival (and Blade Runner 49, Sicario) and is doing Dune, which will hopefully be truly great.
  15. Ceburaska

Justified was the opposite of Breaking Bad, as I really loved most of the characters, but the story got increasingly thin. At least I gave up in S6, so well past the BB score. Has made me want to visit Appalachia. Thanks for the Alex Garland tip, I was unaware of Devs, will try to find it in the...
  16. Ceburaska

I am the only person seemingly immune to the charms of Breaking Bad. Gave up around S2 E4. Well acted, etc, but I didn’t give a toss about any of the characters.
  17. Ceburaska

Not that it matters as it is an anthology, but the pig episode is the first of Black mirror. I’m not sure I actually like it, but it is memorable. In a deeply horribly blackest of black humour manner. White Christmas, Entire history of you and Be right back are the standout episodes to me...
  18. Ceburaska

Largely re bingeing old favourites such as Buffy and Battlestar Galactica. The following are entirely my opinionated views, feel free to ignore. I have enjoyed the Expanse, although only halfway through S4, hasn’t quite grabbed me yet. I read the books with the expectation that all the deep...
  19. Ceburaska

What are we listening to right now..

Wilhelm Kempff. Claudio Arrau. Solomon.
Top Bottom