Search results

1. S

Audio Quality difference in Dolby Passthrough - Apple TV vs xbox?

Thanks - am well aware of these limitations with local network playback but largely fine with it. I try avoid rips whenever possible and While I do use Infuse once in a while (for some TV series that are not available to stream in my country), I can do without true atmos for such cases. (No...
  2. S

Audio Quality difference in Dolby Passthrough - Apple TV vs xbox?

A little bit of background first. I have long been using an ATV (and subsequently ATV4K ) for all my streaming needs. Despite some minor limitations, the convenience aspect has been more than enough for me to use multiple units across the house. Recently, Someone insisted that the AQ on...
  3. S

Denon AVR-X3500H AVR Review

I do not have the 2 you are trying to compare but I do have a marantz 6010 and Denon 3500in different rooms The older 6010 was swapped out for the newer 3500 recently in the main living area. I honestly can’t tell that the two sound any different - neither was any more (or less) “musical” than...
  4. S

Focal Aria 906 Speaker Review

quite a few over the years. q35, iq 5 , q300 and a short stint with a r3 i still have the iq5 and the q300 in active duty. love their house sound - but the focals are just a teeny bit nicer
  5. S

Focal Aria 906 Speaker Review

Long time fan of KEFs ... Recently spotted a deal on Focals (926) at a really good price point (although nowhere as good as in the EU) and couldn’t resist it I find them less precise (or more laidback ) vs a comparable KEF but they are surely nicer to listen to. My use case for these was to...
  6. S

Audyssey bumps up SPL?

I have noticed (admittedly subjective) that switching to direct mode on my AVRs perceptibly reduces the SPL level during playback at my usual playback levels (20-30dB below the 0db reference levels) for both stereo and movies. Now this would have made logical sense in a scenario where the room...
  7. S

Any good affordable all-in-one streamer/amp ?

I had picked a couple of Paradigm PW Amps for this very reason when they were on sale. You should be able to find a good price on ebay though
  8. S

AV Receiver for music, class D or class A/B...

+1 to that While you'll hear to the contrary on plenty of forums and from most self appointed audiophiles, but like you, I do like the output from my current AVRs as well as the ones I have owned in the past. Maybe there are some differences (or improvements) with adding a low SnR DAC and an...
  9. S

Long cable run between server and DAC

Unless there is a major aesthetic or space constraint at where the DAC needs to be, I would have moved the Synology box there
  10. S

Can your audio system be too transparent?

Yup, Have seen quite a few people on the London tube sporting the Apple ones - and to be honest, the noise cancelling Pro variant does strike a rather fine balance between convenience and audio quality. In India though, these things hit the market during a perfect storm- mobile data rates were...
  11. S

Yeah , those ubiquitous wireless earphones that you see everywhere - True wireless stereo I believe. Now I do love the convenience they offer - and the SQ from most decent ones is not too bad for when you are on the move. But I could had never guessed that their popularity would lead to such an...
  12. S

Alternative SINAD Chart for AVRs and Processors Showing Best Performance Voltage

I have to say that the need for level matching combined with the pre-out voltage variances on consumer electronics has got me flummoxed ! From what I can gather, devices with balanced connectors use a 4 V (3.8V?) rms standard. AVRs are more like 1.4V and I presume most amps that use a RCA...
  13. S

Many recording studios in India have taken it one step further. Several new albums are seemingly being mastered with a V-ish curve to begin with so that they come across as more "transparent" on BT boomboxes , sound bars and TWSs ( which comprise the bulk of audio hardware sales) Albums that...
  14. S

Do external Amps make a difference on AVRs?

My rationale was kind of similar. My fronts (Focal) go down to 2.9 ohms and I had an existing amp. Never faced any overheating issues on that AVR Recently converted another room to a dedicated HT so had setup price alerts for another external The Crown 2502 came for less than $400 new so if...
  15. S

Bought a Denon AVRX4700H, what Universal Audio/Video Player should I get?

Or perhaps rip everything on to a shared drive (except maybe the blu-Rays?) Add a cheap Apple TV/ nvidia Shield and call it a day?
  16. S

Alternative SINAD Chart for AVRs and Processors Showing Best Performance Voltage

The graphs Yeah, i just realized the newer reviews like x3700 and x4700 do have it. Naturally not possible to have that for the reviews already done I suppose.
  17. S

+1 to that. A lot of your readers are still getting familiarised with how to read and interpret the data correctly. I had in fact been wondering if I should explore alternate options for stereo streaming (external amp + x3500h) after seeing the rather poor pre-out readings at 2V It's only later...
  18. S

The post in which Darko basically tells anyone who isn't a rich rube to ignore him and audiophilia in general

I could only make it till 4:51 Till I met those $18,000 cables and the vast open prairie land they created in that near claustrophobia inducing space
  19. S

Sub $2000 Bookshelf with best off-axis response

Of course REQ will fix the brightness/treble. However it won’t do much for the relatively even off-axis dispersion requirement. PS: I probably didn't realize your response was directed at the alleged high HF sensitivity of most KEFs that I had alluded to in the post preceding yours
  20. S

Sub $2000 Bookshelf with best off-axis response

Huge fan of Room EQ - I wouldn’t build a system without one! But Room EQ doesn‘t help much with the kind of speaker dispersion patterns the OP is looking for
Top Bottom