Search results

1. A

Did Ortofon ever make a sapphire cantilever with a fine line tip ?

I am wondering if Ortofon ever made a cartridge/stylus with a sapphire cantilever and a fine line tip? Right offhand I don't think so ? but maybe I'm wrong. They used fine line tip for decades -but I think sapphire cantilevers always had shibata tips ?
  2. A

Review and Measurements of Benchmark DAC3

Been using the DAC-3HGC for a few years -musta missed the plugs in headphone jacks issue ? Why would you do this ?
  3. A

Which ADC for Phono Signal into S/P-DIF or Toslink?

There is a UK source for a modified/improved power supply which they will make in whatever AC input voltage you want.
  4. A

Which ADC for Phono Signal into S/P-DIF or Toslink?

I listen thru Meridian DSP-5000 speakers -which means they only accept 24/96 SPDIF inputs. 90% of my listening is off of LP's -so ADC's are necesary I own and use the Park's audio Puffins and actually -you could set one of those up as a ADC's with some interesting features, I've used the Mytec...
  5. A

Best current phono pre under $600?

Trouble is we listen -unfortunately closer to taste than a measuable phenomon . Still-you don't want a glass of vinegar instead of wine -we can certainly measure that difference . .
  6. A

While I've had strange humm issues in the past from other equipment's transformers-have owned a Benchmark DAC-3HGC for 5? years or so and use it-dead silent on or off. Not sayin you couldn't figure out someplace or something (AC majic box of some sort?) to plug it into that causes this issue-but...
  7. A

ART Precision Phono Pre Review

tried something the other day : MM input on ART Precision Preamp -Sony Plug in MC transformer used with the Sony XL-MC3 LOMC cartridge (.25 mV ) -adjusted for this combo (IOW-no red flash) -then switched to Denon DL-301-II (.4 mV) -interesting how far I had to turn down the gain control on the...
  8. A

So this is a how many angels can dance a ballet on the head of a pin argument ? Is audibly significant because .........
  9. A

This really has to be the understood filter for both the DJ Pre II and Precision ART phono preamps -their selling price is remarkable for what they deliver. It's not as though you can't spend more to get more -I have-but it takes a bit of genius to just use what you need to get to a quality...
  10. A

Is anyone else Ok with less than perfect performance?

I sold and serviced a ton -maybe two? of speakers that I personally didn't want to own and didn't particularly enjoy listening to over the years.One of the least perfect was a speaker the store I worked at at the start of my audio career always had on "sale" for buy one at 99 bucks-get the...
  11. A

Is anyone else Ok with less than perfect performance?

Dealt with a lot of customers who were seeking something like perfection (at least within their price range). Guess that's why I'm happy with LP's -plain n simple-never expect perfection-but better is really nice.
  12. A

That's why I am so impressed by the current ART preamps. Started in the stereo biz in 67 (mighta been 66?) - we sold the Astatic version of the Rat shack clamshell phono preamp. I sold a fair number of them and they sounded terrible. From the get go I had religion about selling really cheap...
  13. A

Ya- maybe time to put a footnote on the first tries at measuring phono preamps . Really appreciate the ART DJ Pre II -but it seems a little odd that's it over there on the far left of that chart. This does point out the Mark Twain ? quote :"there's lies ,damm lies and statistics." is still...
  14. A

Here's my take on balance controls: a.) I'd much rather do this in the digital domain -despite 98% of my music listening being fed off of a LP (thus my enthusiasm for the ART -amazingly great for the money-preamps). b.) If your system uses a conventional stereo pot for a volume control -it's...
  15. A

Actually with Version 1.30 of the Parks Audio Puffin software installed -you can fine tune the Left channel in +/- .3dB increments - so if the main menu 2 dB steps aren't fine enough for you -that's another option. I don't know if Shannon Parks has thought of everything -but damm close.
  16. A

If I'm reading the graph right ? For the more or less industry standard 1 kHz @ 1% distortion -it looks like about 18 or 19 mV for the MC input and about 160-170 mV for the MM input. These are both very respectable figures for phono overload. I did send ART a query about how their Max Input...
  17. A

Review and Measurements of u-turn Pluto and ART DJPRE II Phono Preamps

What! You didn't employ Click n Clacks black electrical tape dashboard service engine now light fix !
  18. A

Review and Measurements of u-turn Pluto and ART DJPRE II Phono Preamps

Moving Magnet or Induced Magnet cartridges and high output moving coils -some of which put out 2.5 mV or so. Not Lo output MC's.
  19. A

Dynaco A25

When I sold A-25's new -they generally sold to folks interested in classical-jazz or folk/vocal music -not often to a turn it up rock n roller. So noticeably fewer failures in use or abuse (hmm-actually I don't remember ever replacing or repairing one under warranty -that's just weird ???). As...
  20. A

Dynaco A25

Enthusiastically sold A-25's back in the day. Have no idea how many pairs i bought cheap n used over the following years and sold on. Probably been at least 10years since I bought a pair -simply because they've become famious and are immediately snapped up by flippers. Bought A26's from...
Top Bottom