Search results

1. X

Genelec 8351B Review (Studio Monitor)

Amir, thanks for publishing this, was really looking forward of it. Do you also have the distortion measurement?
  2. X

Audio Blind Tests and Listener Training (video)

@amirm, Fantastic lecturing! If you don’t mind, what is the technique you used to tell the 40hz jitter insertion test you mentioned?
  3. X

Genelec 8050B Speaker Review (and how to read speaker measurements)

Totally agree! Before Amir, I only have bits and pieces from reading magazine like stereophile and soundstage measurements, Amir completely changed the game in his style of depth and honesty. Great work, Amir!
  4. X

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

This is unbelievable! TPA6120 is very hard to implement correctly, all of existing products all have 10ohms output impedance. A90 has near zero impedance, and THDN is even better than TPA6120 data sheet. There must be some good feedback compensation in circuit design.
  5. X

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

The problem is 99.9% people don't have an AP unit to verify it, and I am sure I cannot tell the difference between 113dB vs 104dB SINAD by ear. So far this is just speculation that 1st unit is somehow mistreated during the shipping. It would be nice to root cause this issue by manufacturer on...
  6. X

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW-Link Streamer/DAC

Amir, any idea how many vol down button clicks needed from maximum to reach that 1.5v output? At 1.5v output, do you still think the ARC boost clipping still happens?
  7. X

Review and Measurements of Sound BlasterX G6

Amir, on the setting control panel, I saw the equalizer tab. Can you tell me how many bands there? Also can I uae the equalizer without PC (just optica in)?
  8. X

Review and Measurements of Marantz AV8805 AV Processor

I always get bit sketchy feeling about Marantz after I read a bit about their brand ambassador Ken Ishiwata, seems like this company allow a marketing guy screw up the engineering design by pop some magical capacitors here and there, called job well done and sign his name on those KI product line.
  9. X

Review and Measurements of Wireworld Starlight 7 USB Cable

USB standard suppose has 4 wires: D+/D- in twisted pair, 5v and ground. The reviewed cable seems has 5 wires, I suspect the extra wire is 5v power wire, but I dont see why it has the shield layer as shown. Anyone know?
  10. X

Review and Measurements of Topping A30 and Schiit Magni 3 Headphone Amps

one reason: price. From TI website (1K unit price): TPA6120: $1.56 OPA1622: $2.9 BUF634: $5.68 I read somewhere TPA6120 is actually re-branded ADSL modem transformer driver, that is why we see such crazy slew rate at 1300v/us. If read the data sheet really carefully, I have a feeling that even...
  11. X

Review and Measurements of Massdrop Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid (CTH) and JDS O2 Headphone Amps

It will be very interesting to compare Topping NX4 dsd amp section and O2. NX4 is using 2x opa1688 vs O2 2x NJM4556, they are having similar output capability. i have both, but I prefer NX4 because it has far longer battery time than O2(when used as amp only, like 40h vs 10h from spec), also...
  12. X

Schitt Audio Master Marketers

In their defense, there is DC blocking cap on the output. But I would like to have some protecting diodes on LM317 as in the data sheet suggested.
  13. X

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

It shows 'Unlocked" with USB connected or not connected to host (Raspberry Pi), it shows "locked" whenever host has output.
  14. X

Review and Measurements of Benchmark DAC3

Wow... The DAC3 results honestly strike me a bit. I would expect a far better performance from just what I read about Benchmark. Thanks Amir doing us a huge service.
  15. X

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

how about Sennheiser HDVA600 for $439 (using the code DIGFLOWER10) https://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sdtid=11551231&sku=E7SRHDVA600&omid=200&ref=cj&utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_content=4485850 I found it from here. (claim: I read somewhere the HDVA600 has high output impedance...
  16. X

Review and Measurements of RME ADI-2 Pro (comparison to ADI-2 DAC)

Thanks you Amir! It is likely balanced output add more distortion and noise? Reading one of Douglas Self's book, I remember he spend extra efforts just to match the balanced audio to un-balanced (using parallel opamps to reduce noise etc)
  17. X

latest Schiit Yggdrasil ads on Stereophile May issue

thanks so much for explaining this!
  18. X

Amirm, can you help me understand this? How does 16k fft points translate 40dB noise gain here? I did see your measurement has higher noise floor on the same dac. Thanks.
  19. X

I am flipping the latest Stereophile May issue, and I saw Schiit Yggdrasil ads, the ads title is "slightly less obsolete", and it provide a picture from tinyurl.com/yggy-meas, the notes says: "Yggdrasil with Gen 5 USB and Analog 2 updates showing -144dB, 1Khz sine wave output". I did see...
  20. X

Review and Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC

Benchmark referenced this paper: http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt630/slyt630.pdf, it propose a R/C network at amplifier frontend, figure 7 in the paper seems like mach Benchmark's amplifier behavior.
Top Bottom